Thread: spitfire 944

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    818.69 MB

spitfire 944

No guns just a camera.....lets go to Berlin........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie3SrjLlcUY
    There's something good waitin' down this road
    I'm pickin' up whatever's mine.
    "Tom Petty...Runnin' Down A Dream...Full Moon Fever"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

Re: spitfire 944

"Like" is not good enough!
    Mega Cool!
    "What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over... the Battle of Britain is about to begin!"
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Thanks for posting Birdtail.

Excellent stuff!

"A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Combat pilot No.119_Marshy (VK-M)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

The MkXI is a beautiful aircraft ( the Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford restored theirs to flight recently - complete with frameless windshield, ?I think?) and there are some great machines in that clip. Here are some photos from the squadron:

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/unit/522

I had no idea the cameras were so large?
    Last edited by No.119_Marshy (VK-M); Jan-10-2019 at 11:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

In the video Mr. John Blyth (the pilot of the Spitfire) mentions almost getting in a fight in Moses Lake when he brings up his flying Spitfires to Berlin. Warning.... this post is not about WWII or even about Spitfires, it is about Moses Lake Washington my home town. I hope this is not considered Hijacking a post, not my intention.

Moses Lake in the 1960's population 10,000 is primarily an agricultural town, but located 2 miles to it's North is an US Air Force base "Larsen Field" population 6,000. In the 1960's Larsen Field housed B-52's and support squadrons. Also in the 60's you could not spit in any direction without hitting a WWII veteran, didn't matter if they were farmers, auto mechanic's or still in the Air Force they were just everywhere. I can imagine Mr. Blyth being in one of the bar's in town and talking shop with someone when the fight in mention almost broke out.

The Air Force closed the base in 1966 and the town of Moses Lake took it over. Larsen's main runway is 11,000ft long, and that is where I learned to fly an airplane. My instructor was a man who flew B-25's in the war and eventually became a B-25 instructor. Like I said Vet's were everywhere. For landing practice he would have me touch down on one wheel (Tricycle gear) on the numbers and fly down the runway with just that one wheel touching the runway. I have tried to do it with a Spitfire in game a couple times, no joy!
    One last thing, again not about WII or Spitfires.

I have a friend who is 89 years old. This man spent his entire career working for the Boeing Company. Eventually becoming a test pilot and an instructor on 707's. He was too young to be in WWII but don't worry, the US has another war for him, Korea. Anyway he has often mentioned this video and the referenced fight to me with a big smile on his face, he lives in the town of Moses Lake right now.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

6. Likes QB.Creep, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

I got to thinking about that main runway length and looked it up. It is 13,500ft 4.1km, now that is a nice long runway.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

8. Likes QB.Creep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    In the video Mr. John Blyth (the pilot of the Spitfire) mentions almost getting in a fight in Moses Lake when he brings up his flying Spitfires to Berlin. Warning.... this post is not about WWII or even about Spitfires, it is about Moses Lake Washington my home town. I hope this is not considered Hijacking a post, not my intention.

Moses Lake in the 1960's population 10,000 is primarily an agricultural town, but located 2 miles to it's North is an US Air Force base "Larsen Field" population 6,000. In the 1960's Larsen Field housed B-52's and support squadrons. Also in the 60's you could not spit in any direction without hitting a WWII veteran, didn't matter if they were farmers, auto mechanic's or still in the Air Force they were just everywhere. I can imagine Mr. Blyth being in one of the bar's in town and talking shop with someone when the fight in mention almost broke out.

The Air Force closed the base in 1966 and the town of Moses Lake took it over. Larsen's main runway is 11,000ft long, and that is where I learned to fly an airplane. My instructor was a man who flew B-25's in the war and eventually became a B-25 instructor. Like I said Vet's were everywhere. For landing practice he would have me touch down on one wheel (Tricycle gear) on the numbers and fly down the runway with just that one wheel touching the runway. I have tried to do it with a Spitfire in game a couple times, no joy!
    One last thing, again not about WII or Spitfires.

I have a friend who is 89 years old. This man spent his entire career working for the Boeing Company. Eventually becoming a test pilot and an instructor on 707's. He was too young to be in WWII but don't worry, the US has another war for him, Korea. Anyway he has often mentioned this video and the referenced fight to me with a big smile on his face, he lives in the town of Moses Lake right now.
    Hey, I enjoyed the video about John Blyth very much. Fascinating stuff and what an amazing generation those men were. Are we still made of the same 'stuff,' do you think. Loved your post too, Bill. Got any more old stories? We love 'em here! Salute!

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

"take that out of yer mouth..." haha

Those guys used to be around everywhere telling stories and in charge of stuff. It's just not the same anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

That was brilliant. Thanks very much for sharing

12. Likes Little Bill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

great story