Thread: Heaphones sore ear problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Heaphones sore ear problems

Decided to put this up to see if I may find a cure Now I bet many sim pilots have had the "Oh my poor dried up... sore aching ears" problems with headphones. Does anyone out there have a cure? The only thing I can think of is those little walkman things that you stuff into your head

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Re: Heaphones sore ear problems

I have a set of Logitech G430 headphones (blue) that nearly clear my entire ears and have more natural audio. My ears react a bit even to brand new ear plugs, so headphones work out well.

The most painful set I know are my AN-BH-1s (WW2 USAF standard issue headphones). But those were for real men. haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    Decided to put this up to see if I may find a cure Now I bet many sim pilots have had the "Oh my poor dried up... sore aching ears" problems with headphones. Does anyone out there have a cure? The only thing I can think of is those little walkman things that you stuff into your head
    I use to get sore ears, and sometimes even headaches from my last earphones which were Turtle Beach. A friend recommended moving to a better fit and quality headset. After testing out the fit of many models I found the Corsair Void Pro to be a comfortable fit. Now, I can play for hours without any discomfort.

Maybe, that’s why there are so many headsets to choose from. So many different heads out there.

Good luck solving this issue, Rich.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

LOL..getting a kick out of these answers. I bought some Yapsters a few years back. The received excellent reviews and were a real bargain. I love the coil around the mic stem. Only problem is the foam sucks my ears dry and makes them itch like crazy. I cured the metal head band problem by sewing an old shag rug bath mat around it..worked great..I have a little pair of Koss headphones that I kind of like, no mic though. Anyway after flying for a bit I went up to Save On Foods. At the check-out I notice the girl kind of does a double take at me. I get home and when I look in the mirror and I see that all of the black coating has come off of the foam from the koss headphones and is now all over my ears..So check your ears with those old headphones
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Jan-13-2019 at 10:19.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

My ears get sore too. Problem is cheap headsets where the ear cup presses on the ear, rather than around them. One of these days I'm going to 3D print some replacement ear cups that actually fit over the ears and rest against the skull. The other problem I have is that occasionally I'll get an earache... With the headphones on for hours at a time I suspect the warm, moist environment inside promotes bacteria growth, which leads to ear infections. I keep some alcohol pads near my computer so i can wipe down the inside of the headphones once in a while to kill the bacteria.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Ear molds! Airline pilots must spend long hours listening to the radio, much of which is done on the speakers while a lot of listening must be using headset/earphones. Most pilots spend a few dollars to get custom ear molds made to which they attach the Telex earphone. They provide excellent noise attenuation and are so popular that a vendor is usually present at flight ops to make the molds and offer variety of color, texture and prices. (Enter "ear molds" in your search engine for options and pricing on-line.) A little creative thinking makes stereo earbuds easily adaptable to ear molds using silicone-type glue or sealant.

They are also particularly effective while operating noisy machinery such as lawn mowers. I use them to play my tunes while wearing shooting style ear muffs over them to make 1.5 hours on the tractor go a lot faster.

I don't use them during CLoD play since my main game sound comes through 5.1 Surround speakers. I use loosely fitted SONY stereo earbuds for Teamspeak comms while hearing and feeling game sound through the speakers/subwoofer and the Buttkicker Gamer system.

Ear molds do, however, provide very clear audio comfortably when used alone.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-13-2019 at 10:17.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    407.33 MB

I use the G933 they fit over the ear and are wireless the Corsair are pretty good also.

~S~ Sparky
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9820X CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz 2066 [ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 LGA 2066 Intel X299 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel CORSAIR Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200[/COLOR]/FONT]2-SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive, WDC 4TB WD40EZRZ-00GXCBO, Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11G-P4-6696-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Technology, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 220-P2-1200-X1 80+ PLATINUM 1200W Fully Modular, THRUSTMASTER THRODDLE HOTAS, VIRPRIL VPC MongoosT-50 BE Flightstick, MFG CROSSWIND PEDDALS,

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.2 KB

+1 for the corsair void pro, my only gripe is down to using delan clip for tracking, I've had to tape the set to the over bar as the supplied zip ties kept slipping down every now and again.

Good quality sound and good quality padding though, still comfortable even after extended sessions wearing them

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

Get your Wife or Girlfriend to pour warm Olive oil into each ear and stuff with cotton for an hour or two.
    This will lubricate your ear drums and channels.
    Repeat five or six times or until your ears feel "loose"!
    "What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over... the Battle of Britain is about to begin!"
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SD_MBen View Post
    Get your Wife or Girlfriend to pour warm Olive oil into each ear and stuff with cotton for an hour or two.
    This will lubricate your ear drums and channels.
    Repeat five or six times or until your ears feel "loose"!
    LOL...Sounds wonderful Ben but my problems all happen on the outer ear. Just dried out itching. The headphones seem to work like vacuum cleaners when it comes to the moisture in my skin. As for girlfriends the mail lady is an Amy Adams look alike cutie at 53 who seems to like talking to me every time a parcel comes..God knows why ???? Her Dad was in Italy my Dad was in Italy she likes WWII history I like WWII......Oh ....
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Jan-15-2019 at 10:53.

11. Likes SD_MBen liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

For aviation headsets, Bose stuff is pretty expensive. I've found Clark headsets uncomfortable and clampy. The gaming ones are way better.

I have thought about stitching a nerdy leather helmet with my old logitech headset (needs some mic rewiring). That could get really stinky in the summer though. ha

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

LOL...Sounds wonderful Ben but my problems all happen on the outer ear. Just dried out itching. The headphones seem to work like vacuum cleaners when it comes to the moisture in my skin. As for girlfriends the mail lady is an Amy Adams look alike cutie at 53 who seems to like talking to me every time a parcel comes..God knows why ???? Her Dad was in Italy my Dad was in Italy she likes WWII history I like WWII......Oh ....
    Hi Rich,
    Sorry to hear it's the outer ear and I hope it gets sorted soon!
    As for Amy Adams uhhmm when do I start? lol
    Ben
    "What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over... the Battle of Britain is about to begin!"
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

S!~

Logitech G430 over the ears headset- $50 or so. Also Corsair over the ear headphones and mic work well- sometimes the mic is fragile- depending on the model. Ive found the $50 headsets comparable to the $129 ones- I will say the surround sound feature does allow one to discern an aircraft creeping on your six- if you have a fenster or canopy open. Its another case of better technology giving one an advantage. So- buy good phones' - or try the heated olive-oil ear-shakedown foreplay move - sounds like a Tuscan vacation night with the ol' lady. Wink. What? This headset!@#$%

S!~AKA_Blasto
    <a href=http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2895&dateline=1384197801 target=_blank>http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ine=1384197801</a>

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SD_MBen View Post
    Hi Rich,
    Sorry to hear it's the outer ear and I hope it gets sorted soon!
    As for Amy Adams uhhmm when do I start? lol
    Ben

LOL...Hey hands of Amy. You know what I just remembered... that I bought my boss a whole bunch of gaming stuff that included a very nice set of headphones. He was supposed to pay me back but of course he never did. Maybe next time I'm over there for supper or a movie I'll just say..I'll take my headphones now.. I've known this guy since I was 8 years old..I still remember the first thing he said to me. 1968.. "Wanna come to my Birthday party"?
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Jan-15-2019 at 12:22.

16. Likes SD_MBen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Can't talk about cheap headsets, and you might not want to spend money on expensive headphones.
    In case you want to know, I use Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO and they are open (you can hear sounds from outside and you leak sound aswell, however the sound is light and open stage), they have incredible sound and come with velour earpads.
    But they don't have a mic.

If you want a mic, there is a Beyerdynamic Custom Game they got big earpads aswell, but they are not fluffy velour.
    They are different, so sound might not be the same as mine.
    Not sure how much you want to spend, but if you really wanna do you ears a favour, you might buy audiopile headphones.
    The Beyerdynamic MMX330 are even more expensive, but the black earpads are velour and they also come with a mic.
    Those game headphones can exchange earpads and cables in case something breaks.

They are all quite expensive, but you buy them once and last forever. Unless you buy the cheaper ones and want more of the good quality, then you might buy twice
    Last edited by Tibsun; Jan-15-2019 at 15:32.

18. Likes IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tibsun View Post
    Can't talk about cheap headsets, and you might not want to spend money on expensive headphones.
    In case you want to know, I use Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO and they are open (you can hear sounds from outside and you leak sound aswell, however the sound is light and open stage), they have incredible sound and come with velour earpads.
    But they don't have a mic.

If you want a mic, there is a Beyerdynamic Custom Game they got big earpads aswell, but they are not fluffy velour.
    They are different, so sound might not be the same as mine.
    Not sure how much you want to spend, but if you really wanna do you ears a favour, you might buy audiopile headphones.
    The Beyerdynamic MMX330 are even more expensive, but the black earpads are velour and they also come with a mic.
    Those game headphones can exchange earpads and cables in case something breaks.

They are all quite expensive, but you buy them once and last forever. Unless you buy the cheaper ones and want more of the good quality, then you might buy twice
    Sounds good..It's too bad we don't live in a perfect world where we could try all of these headphones on and sit for an hour

20. Likes SD_MBen liked this post