Thread: Sporadic Screen Freezes v4.54

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    243.82 MB

Sporadic Screen Freezes v4.54

I am getting sporadic mometary screen freezes. Screen freezes occur with Fullscreen and Pseudo mode. Tried with and without nvida CP. Deleted cache after every change. Occurs in Quick and Single mission. Checking the log shows no errors.

Also uninstalled and reinstalled. Verified files with Steam several times with no change.

System: 17-6700K, eVGA GTX1080.

Any ideas? Is there anything else I need to provide?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Re: Sporadic Screen Freezes v4.54

Sorry to hear that.

How long is 'momentray'?

What is your operating system?

magnetic harddisk or ssd?

Any other related software (video card stuff like nvidia experience, overlays, or similiar)?

As it occurs in quick missions: Can you reproduce in the same quickmission? Always same place/time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    243.82 MB

Thanks for the reply Artist!

Momentary: Screen freezes 1 to 1½ seconds. Recurrence is random. Sometimes 5 to 10 minutes before it reoccurs. Sometimes less.

Windows 10 Home Version 1809. Recent clean install prior to 1809 update.

Windows 10 installed on 250GB SSD.

Blitz and BoX installed on 250GB SSD (nothing else).

Have ActionRecorder & PlayClaw. Freezes still occur when these programs are not running. I do not use Geforce Experience.

Occurrence is unpredictable. Sometimes in the first 30 seconds. Sometimes several minutes later. May occur several times within 1 to 3 minutes then will occur several minutes later. May get 2 or 3 quick freezes sometimes its a single freeze.

Have tested on several quick missions and single missions.

Edit: I do not experience this problem in IL-2 Greatest Battles (BoX)
    Last edited by LoneStar; Jan-15-2019 at 18:07.

4. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Thanks for the details!

Unfortunately that excludes the usual suspects.

And we have no other reports of people.

As BoX is on the same drive, I'd tentativly exclude the SSD 'hanging' on reads.

Next best guess is some other process running in the background interferes sporadically.

Antivirus, maybe?

Check your process list for what is actually running (some surprises might lurk there) and experiment there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I seem to get a momentary freeze (less than one second duration) when I hit TAB 7 1. I suspect the cause is the voice recording of the Home Controller reading off the information of enemy contacts that pops up on the info window. I shall try turning off the voice (don’t pay attention to it anyway) and see if that eliminates the short freezes.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    243.82 MB

I believe I have found the source of my problem. When "Actual Window Manager" app is running I get screen freezes. Disabling "Acutual Window Manager" eliminates the freezes. I believe the conflict is the way Cliffs of Dover renders the sim when it loads. Cliffs of Dover menu screens run with DX9. When Cliffs of Dover runs Quick Mission, Single Mission or Multiplayer screen (you're in the cockpit), it switches to DX11. It seems "Actual Window Manager" cannot handle the DX switching. It's just my guess, I could be wrong. It could be something else. I'm happy the freezes have stopped .

Snapper, I'll report back if I experience the same freezes with TAB 7 1. Might be a couple of days before I can try.

8. Likes Artist, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Glad to see it's sorted
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    43.95 MB

Good to know you have found the software that caused the issue.

Regarding DX, you're wrong, the D3D9 and D3D10 renderers are deprecated and not used anymore, only the D3D11 renderer works. That said, we will investigate the possible cause.
    Last edited by xoriguer; Jan-17-2019 at 06:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    243.82 MB

I mentioned this because Action Recording software HUD shows the menu screens as DX9. When I spawn into the cockpit the HUD shows DX11. Action software is not recording Cliffs of Dover at my game setting of 3440x1440. If I run Cliffs of Dover in Fullscreen mode, Action records at 1828x1082. If I run Pseudo mode, Action records 2562x1440. Not sure if this is causing a conflict for Action. I currently working with Action support on this issue. I also have PlayClaw. PlayClaw records Fullscreen and Pseudo modes at 3440x1440. I like Action because it has very little if any latency or stutter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    243.82 MB

Re: Sporadic Screen Freezes v4.54 & Action Recording App

I corrected the Action recording problem. Load Cliffs of Dover. Spawn to aircraft. Alt-Tab to Desktop. Load Action Recording software. Action will record at my settings 3440x1440. As long as I keep Cliffs of Dover running, I can stop the mission, return to any Cliffs of Dover menu screen, select a new mission and still record at 3440x1440. If I exit Cliffs of Dover, I have to repeat the procedure to record Cliffs of Dover at 3440x1440.

I have Action starting when Windows boots. I have to remember to close action before starting Cliffs of Dover.