Thread: RAF Wheel Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

RAF Wheel Brakes

Realistically modeled RAF braking in CLod is pneumatically powered and mechanically controlled through a valve in the rudder mechanism. Activating the brake handle on the spade grip (Spitfire, Hurricane) modulates air pressure to a rudder valve which sends air to the left and right brakes. The more you pull on the brake handle, the greater the braking power. Deflecting the rudder to the right, ports compressed air to the right brake actuator on the wheel. Pressing the left rudder, ports air to the left wheel brake. Without rudder input, braking is applied evenly to both wheel brakes.

To observe this, look at the pneumatic "Triple" gauge on the instrument panel (Spitfire: See next post in this thread). The top needle points to available pneumatic system pressure, while the lower left and right needles indicate pressure ported to the respective wheel brake. Watch the needles as you apply even braking... then observe the pressure changes as you apply left or right rudder. Spock would say, "Fascinating!"

Pneumatics are wondersome systems in these birds... brakes, guns and flaps are all air-powered on the Spitfire. You can even hear the air "Hiss" when flaps are activated!

Practical gaming advice:

Brakes can be assigned to a button/key with the "Full Wheel Brakes" option in the controls/key menu. Since this doesn't modulate the system pressure to the brakes (It's just an ON/OFF keypress), you can simulate modulation with multiple short bursts of the selected key. *CAUTION* If you hold your button/key down, brakes will quickly reach maximum and a forward tipover can result in the Spitfire.

Differential braking works while taxiing, but sometimes not so well. Since it's in England, the grass is always wet and the tyre slips a lot in the turn... that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

The pivot turn is available during taxying by slowing the airplane to a stop or nearly a standstill. Then apply full braking to the inside wheel as you add power. The effect is that of an airplane with nosewheel/tailwheel steering... it "turns on a dime" (or a Tanner).

A final Spitfire note:
    This airplane is equipped with a single use emergency CO2 pressure system used to pressurize the landing gear extension/retraction air lines. To activate it, you can program a key/button to this alternate gear operation system or you can click on the red handle on the CO2 bottle cockpit graphic found next to your right hip. In the Spitfire flight manual, this is referred to as an emergency gear extension feature only and has a warning to make sure that the main landing gear handle is DOWN before using it. However, in our simulator, this will also raise any extended gear if activated with the main gear handle in the UP position, so you can raise a "dangling" gear strut in a combat emergency. Be warned that this may be a short lived solution, and the gear may sneak back down after a few minutes. (I guess as the CO2 leaks out)

Activating the CO2 bottle usually requires two keypresses in my system. I have no idea why... press it 'til the red handle goes down!
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-26-2019 at 11:28. Reason: Reference picture next post
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.59 MB

Re: RAF Wheel Brakes

Got it Baffin. It took me forever before just taxing out (maneuver) of the hangar.
    Right Rudder Applied.pngLeft Rudder Applied.png
    Last edited by Kwings714; Jan-23-2019 at 01:01.
    Weapons of choice
    MS Force Feedback 2, Saitek Rudder, Nvidia GTX 1080 (Reference Design), AMD Ryzen 2200g (3.95 Ghz OC Game Mode) Asrock B450 iTX/AC, 16G GSkill 3200 Mhz @14 CAS
    OpenTrack and DIY Head-Tracker (Wire) https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=28730 (Many thanks to OpenSource Contributer) 'S

3. Likes Baffin liked this post