Thread: help with joystick setup please

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

help with joystick setup please

Hi there! I'm completely new to cliffs of dover in fact I only downloaded it yesterday via steam and as yet haven't been able to play the game as I have no ide how to get my joystick to work in the game. I'm no computer genius so if someone could explain in simple terms how to go about it I would be eternally grateful as I do enjoy flight sims but I've never had this problem in the past. my joystick isn't the latest super fangled thing but it has always served me well in the past its a Saitek cyborg evo force which has all its latest drivers installed so no issues there as far as I know so if anyone can offer some advice as to what I need to do then that would be a great help, thanks!

2. Likes danperin, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Re: help with joystick setup please

Hey foogster, Welcome to the forums! I recommend watching these two videos which outline the process very well (thanks Zeb):

Salute

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

4. Likes ATAG_Marlow, danperin, 69th_Zeb, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Hi and welcome

Not sure what you are flying but to get the joystick working that is assigned in the Axis setup. Start small and build it from there, don't get overwhelmed with all the options.

Watch this, there are more tutorials out there as well.
    So the short answer is if the joystick is connected, goto controls, then select AXIS settings on the top. Select for example 'elevator' so that it brings up the popup change box, then just move that axis on the stick itself. If all goes well it should recognise it. Don't forget to hit save and apply after the changes.

edit: the kiwi beat me to it
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

6. Likes ATAG_Marlow, danperin, 69th_Zeb, farley liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

A problem that is major in this sim,the controls and turns alot away from the sim.

Should be worked on first before anything else.

I would pay 10 bux for a control dlc,ch hotas profile and diagram dlc.

I would pay.
    Foogster is older like me,when you are this age,setting up controls is incredibly frustrating.

Sounds like he abandoned the sim as well because of the controls,only 4 posts.

Something has to be done.
    Last edited by DarrenMc; Feb-12-2019 at 23:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenMc View Post
    A problem that is major in this sim,the controls and turns alot away from the sim.

Should be worked on first before anything else.

I would pay 10 bux for a control dlc,ch hotas profile and diagram dlc.

I would pay.
    Foogster is older like me,when you are this age,setting up controls is incredibly frustrating.

Sounds like he abandoned the sim as well because of the controls,only 4 posts.

Something has to be done.
    If this sim was as discouraging as you describe, no one would be here.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

Angry Re: help with joystick setup please

There are alot who can do this easy but I can’t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

No victory without a fight.Just dont give up'.With just small steps you will also get there once.I started with Clod in 2011 and I still crash alot when I want to take-off or land.It is a difficult flightsim to master without a doubt.But if you have problems just ask en somone will try to help you.Just imagine what feeling you will get when you roam the skies searching for the enemy.My son buys games for his Playstation an did pay alot more then I did for Clod.Iam still enjoying Clod and his games after few weeks..........they are gathering dust.
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Hi Darren

Don't get overwhelmed by the vast number of options to configure your controllers that are in the game. By far the vast majority of them you will never use.

Start small, just map your control axis ailerons and elevator (x/y), rudder if you have pedals or a twist grip stick, and guns. (this takes no more than a 5 minutes)

Then you are literally ready to fly and fight.
    Most other things like gear and flaps can be done from the keyboard, but as you fly you can add to the profile with things you want to add.
    Im sure there are many threads here about which controls are more useful than others to map and which are perhaps more crucial for specific aircraft, Luftwaffe vs Allied for instance.

Heres a bit of a walkthrough for RAF fighters

Forum flight school, some good info in these threads
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...play.php?f=128

Here someone did some CH mapping and shared, not sure if current but pictures there to provide a basis for you to map perhaps.
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ead.php?t=5729

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

He does have a point in that the majority of "combat flight simmers" probably don't look too hard at a temp gauge or an ATA etc. For older folks with a penchant to do so and time on their hands, we spend the time looking around and asking as once we have laid our eyes on something or our money down, we want value from both our time and/or our money. There's a reason there's the "E" key in BOS and why Warbirds enjoys the numbers they do. Not saying they are right and we are wrong, different strokes for different folks. The majority dont lie in our niche.

I for one would love to see a complete UI overhaul and particular attention spent with the keymapper. I know what I am doing but I can see those with less patience wanting to bail out the door. Most dont look up to the top of the forum and see the many links that may help. Perhaps a Noobs thread at the top of the forum and all the relevant stickys may help. Youtube vids are nice but even I rarely watch to the end of one. Looking at someone flying from the inside of a cockpit bores me to tears. (think about that movie makers!!)

Either way, I bet many wouldn't think to heat their engines to 40C etc on entering the game. Including many of the SP players who I dare say have a sizeable contingent who arent playing on full real mode. There were printable startup procedures for each plane. Perhaps they need to be gathered up and placed in the downloads section with a guide how to get there in the "Noobs" forum (or name of your choosing)

While I know there is a lot of info for the newcomer and a lot of willing assistance provided by the community. It isnt all in one place which is needed for the impatient souls which make up the new generation or for the old guys who frustration limits are held by a thin thread.

Clod is not easy to the complete noob. It is worth the learning experience but it is also very different from other IL2 games in its UI making simple transitions hard for the inexperienced. Again, I dont think the UI helps. How many times have we explained you have to click on the flag, then the airfield. Let alone explain why the keymapper has two commands which say External view but you should only use one of them for a particular action. Maybe only limited correction can be done to the UI, hence the need for tips or explanation on how the game, aircraft and maps work. It was months after I joined that I discovered by accident the map had a ruler!

To get the numbers, you either make the game easy. (let not and say we did) or you improve the UI and include tips in game for the noob or assistance in one loc. Personally, I think these new player issues will always plague this game. Player/community assistance will mitigate some of it, but negation of the problem is highly unlikely in its current form. Non staying players is normal. Question for us is how can we keep the saveable and how many players are we willing to lose before they get a chance to grow in here.

It would be interesting to see a thread containing all the little tricks we know to help in game that arent in a Youtube video or posted in a link. Example: Better visual identification and distances for enemies. This game does not explain itself well to the new pilot, thats a fact.
    Last edited by SIA_Sp00k; Feb-15-2019 at 08:01.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

13. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger liked this post