Thread: Hello from NYC

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hello from NYC

Hey guys -

I'm a long time flight simmer - both off and online. I started flying in Air Warrior in 1995 and enjoy flying with and dogfighting others. My call sign in AW was Mother Teresa.

I just quit Aces High, and I'm looking getting either Battle of Stalingrad or Cliffs of Dover.

From what I've read, BOS seems more stable, and has a bigger online population. I much prefer the plane set of CloD, but I'm concerned about the stability of the game, and if it's populated enough for me to find people with to fly with (and against).

I really appreciate that you have supportive, international community here.

Thanks!

- Mother Teresa

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Hello from NYC

Hi MT and welcome to the forum!

I have both sims on my hard drive, they are both very stable and play very well on my system with video options max'd at 1920 x 1080 resolution. I'm obviously biased towards Blitz and highly recommend you acquire it and give it a try. Spend a few moments on the Single Play missions to sort out your axis and key assignments (plenty of help here on the forum if you have any questions), then download & install TeamSpeak (it's free, as you probably know) then jump on our ATAG Axis and Allies Server. Don't hesitate to introduce yourself on TeamSpeak - we're always pleased to wing up with new players.

Glad you stopped in and hope to see you here often.

Cheers,

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

3. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Knight, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for the welcome Snapper!

-Mother
    Last edited by Mother Teresa; Jan-28-2019 at 21:20.

5. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.12 MB

Welcome. I think population is the more legitimate concern. In my designated play time (~10-12 pm pacific standard) CLOD has been a ghost town lately. A year ago I could at least count on a decent turnout on weekends but no longer.

With BOS the issue has been that Wings of Liberty, the most populated server, has awful pings from my location, seeing an enemy's nose in lag and his bullets still hit you is a common occurrence. That and I usually get disconnected about 10 minutes into a flight. Still, I might give it another go to see if things have improved.

Hope to see you out there wherever you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa View Post
    Hey guys -

I'm a long time flight simmer - both off and online. I started flying in Air Warrior in 1995 and enjoy flying with and dogfighting others. My call sign in AW was Mother Teresa.

I just quit Aces High, and I'm looking getting either Battle of Stalingrad or Cliffs of Dover.

From what I've read, BOS seems more stable, and has a bigger online population. I much prefer the plane set of CloD, but I'm concerned about the stability of the game, and if it's populated enough for me to find people with to fly with (and against).

Thanks!

- Mother Teresa

7. Likes Mother Teresa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

it's not the quantity of player but the quality.

Even with 10 a side you can find plenty of action in a 2 sided front. Most fighting takes place in the same areas, french point , hells corner etc etc.

Some servers have plenty of AI to interact with to keep you busy during quieter periods.

With that being said the peak population times I have noticed are GMT evenings (1pm-7pm East Coast).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa View Post

Thanks!

- Mother Teresa

You won't find a better community on all the internet than the CloD bunch here.

S!

DerDa

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Oh my Mother......

It'a no brainer ma, Blitz for sure, if for no other than the community that fly here.

They are a fun and helpful bunch (although not overly attractive!).

Ok, full disclosure, I do not have BoS and i don't know what their community is like (hope to find out soon because i did order Bodenplatte). I'd imagine that they are a good group there as well

But for sure give Blitz and ATAG a go; I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

And welcome to your new home MT!
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi Mum.......Farley and derda are absolutely bang on!' You won't find a better bunch of mature people on the whole of the internet. The Cliffs Community is very friendly and supportive and we particularly pride ourselves on going the extra mile to help new pilots. Team Speak is a 'must' so we can speak , advise and get to know you. If you post on the ATAG Forum we can arrange a possible 'wing up' time but anybody will gladly take you under their wing at any time. I've been flying two years now and was a very reluctant new 'on line' pilot (What? Meet all those weird people on the web! Whoa!)...now you can't keep me away! (And believe me many have tried! Ha ha!)

Good luck and hope to see you in our 'Cliffs' skies very soon. Salute!

12. Likes Gingerbread, farley, Mother Teresa liked this post