Thread: Problem with first solo in a hurricane

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Problem with first solo in a hurricane

Hi there! I’m probably doing something wrong but when I do my first solo flight in training almost immediately after I take off the hurricane starts smoking and invariably ends up with me mangled in a field. I’ve gone through all the pre flight checks and as far as I can tell I have everything set correctly so can’t figure out why this happening. I do get a message saying cylinder head failure just after I take off so if anybody knows why this happening it would be a big help, doesn’t mean I can’t fly but I want to learn how to,do it properly from the outset, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Re: Problem with first solo in a hurricane

Hi foog.

Have you made sure that your rad is open prior to starting the engine?

That is the usual culprit and result for all of us when we forget to have the rad opened wide.

It can be adjusted once of f the ground.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

3. Likes SD_MBen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Hi Foogster, there seems to be a bug with the training mission First Solo. If you selected a HURRICANE IA ROTOL 100 Octane, you WILL NOT get that aircraft you wished for when you enter into the training, you get instead, one of the two-speed hurries with the sharp prop, Hurricane I with De-Havilland 5-20 Propellor. If you fly the 2-speed like the plane you expected to be in you'll burn up the engine. Could it be this?

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

5. Likes farley, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Good catch, Bondi!

I’ll give it a try myself. Would be pretty easy to over-rev your engine if caught unawares.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I did all my pre flight checks, had the mixture and prop pitch all set correctly and had my radiators open so fairly certain I had the hurricane set correctly but will maybe try and change planes to see if that changes anything but thanks for the advice, I'll let you know if I get it sorted out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by foogster64 View Post
    Hi there! I’m probably doing something wrong but when I do my first solo flight in training almost immediately after I take off the hurricane starts smoking and invariably ends up with me mangled in a field. I’ve gone through all the pre flight checks and as far as I can tell I have everything set correctly so can’t figure out why this happening. I do get a message saying cylinder head failure just after I take off so if anybody knows why this happening it would be a big help, doesn’t mean I can’t fly but I want to learn how to,do it properly from the outset, thanks!
    Hello Foogster

Would recommend you use the Hurricane Mk I Rotol 100 octane for your initial training and flying.

The Hurricane DH5-20's prop pitch system is too difficult to handle for new players.

Also as mentioned, don't forget to open your radiator to 100% as soon as you start up.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Hello Foogster

Would recommend you use the Hurricane Mk I Rotol 100 octane for your initial training and flying.

The Hurricane DH5-20's prop pitch system is too difficult to handle for new players.

Also as mentioned, don't forget to open your radiator to 100% as soon as you start up.

Buzzsaw, As Bondi points out you can select what you like (not just the 100_Oct) but you'll spawn in the DH520. Moreover you cannot unselect it for anything else once this happens in this or any of the other training missions unless you exit the game and start over wherupon you are back to the DH520.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

Quote Originally Posted by foogster64 View Post
    Hi foogster64,
    Read the flight manuals for the early Hurricanes (DH5-20) at Team Fusion WIKI, Link: https://www.theairtacticalassaultgro...icane_i_dh5-20
    then try my Central Flying School mission too qualify as a pilot. Link: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...p?categoryid=8

Good luck!
    Last edited by SD_MBen; Feb-12-2019 at 17:53.
    "What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over... the Battle of Britain is about to begin!"
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Sorry for the delay in responding to all the good advice but sometimes life gets in the way of flying! the advice about changing to a different version of the Hurricane worked like a charm! I took off and flew around with no engine issues at all but unfortunately I binned it trying to land! lol Still Rome wasn't built in a day, thanks again for all the help.

12. Likes ATAG_Marlow, Bonditaria, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Consider using this series of lessons:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=22735
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.