Thread: WOTR - First Impressions

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

WOTR - First Impressions

Just tried it. Here's a little blurb I posted to my ATAG brothers:

Purchased ($29.95 US = $39.41 CDN), downloaded, and installed with no issues. A 2.8 GB download which takes up about 7.62 GB installed on my SSD drive. Axis and key assignments were done fairly quickly once I figured it out. Max’d out the video settings at 1920 x 1080 res. This sim works with TrackIR - I had to update my TrackIR games list (easy to do in the TrackIR software) for it to “see” the game and be enabled. WOTR has an extensive and very current FAQ section on its website which I’m finding handy. Like any new sim it has a few glitches - I’ve experienced freezes when trying to logout of WOTR that required a hard reboot of my PC - ugh! I’m probably doing something wrong (hey, I’ve been married 41 years - “being wrong” is a conditionned response LOL).

So, what’s it like? In a word: nostalgic. It reminds me very much of Their Finest Hour of the 1980’s - updated to mid 2000’s DX9 technology. The Hurricane MK1 has very simplified controls, and lots of on-screen help to navigate, find the enemy, find your squadron mates, and reminders of which keys to push, etc. Graphics are not in the same league as Blitz, BoX, DCS, etc. but are a generation (or two) better than Their Finest Hour, to be sure. Engine workload is very, very simplified, as is the Hurri’s flight modelling. This sim will not appeal to the hardcore simmer in each of us, to be sure.

So what’s the appeal? Single Player. Someone put a lot of work into researching and creating the squadrons and, from what I can tell at first blush, the Battle of Britain itself. If you were stepping up from The Finest Hour (or WW1’s Red Baron), you’d be pleased with the upgrade. This is where the nostalgia comes in. You are part of a squadron - complete with a constantly updated logbook - and you don’t want to let your mates down, nor be killed yourself as your hours build up and your kill score grows. This little sim has a certain charm, definitely a good intro for the neophyte simmer looking for a good WW2 air combat sim that allows you to take off without swinging into the Officers’ Mess due to excessive throttle/engine torque.

Is it worth $29.95? To me, a definite yes - accepting this sim as a fun Single Player taking you back to The Golden Age of Combat Air Simulators.

Oh, and the tracers leave smoky trails!!!

Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Feb-05-2019 at 17:51.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Supporting Member Blade_Meister's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.48 GB

Re: WOTR - First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Just tried it. Here's a little blurb I posted to my ATAG brothers:

Purchased ($29.95 US = $39.41 CDN), downloaded, and installed with no issues. A 2.8 GB download which takes up about 7.62 GB installed on my SSD drive. Axis and key assignments were done fairly quickly once I figured it out. Max’d out the video settings at 1920 x 1080 res. This sim works with TrackIR - I had to update my TrackIR games list (easy to do in the TrackIR software) for it to “see” the game and be enabled. WOTR has an extensive and very current FAQ section on its website which I’m finding handy. Like any new sim it has a few glitches - I’ve experienced freezes when trying to logout of WOTR that required a hard reboot of my PC - ugh! I’m probably doing something wrong (hey, I’ve been married 41 years - “being wrong” is a conditionned response LOL).

So, what’s it like? In a word: nostalgic. It reminds me very much of Their Finest Hour of the 1980’s - updated to mid 2000’s DX9 technology. The Hurricane MK1 has very simplified controls, and lots of on-screen help to navigate, find the enemy, find your squadron mates, and reminders of which keys to push, etc. Graphics are not in the same league as Blitz, BoX, DCS, etc. but are a generation (or two) better than Their Finest Hour, to be sure. Engine workload is very, very simplified, as is the Hurri’s flight modelling. This sim will not appeal to the hardcore simmer in each of us, to be sure.

So what’s the appeal? Single Player. Someone put a lot of work into researching and creating the squadrons and, from what I can tell at first blush, the Battle of Britain itself. If you were stepping up from The Finest Hour (or WW1’s Red Baron), you’d be pleased with the upgrade. This is where the nostalgia comes in. You are part of a squadron - complete with a constantly updated logbook - and you don’t want to let your mates down, nor be killed yourself as your hours build up and your kill score grows. This little sim has a certain charm, definitely a good intro for the neophyte simmer looking for a good WW2 air combat sim that allows you to take off without swinging into the Officers’ Mess due to excessive throttle/engine torque.

Is it worth $29.95? To me, a definite yes - accepting this sim as a fun Single Player taking you back to The Golden Age of Combat Air Simulators.

Oh, and the tracers leave smoky trails!!!

Thanks for your first thoughts Snapper. WOTR is definitely not hardcore and you are right it is not in the CLOD, Box or DCS class yet once you get into its Campaign and stop thinking of any comparisons to them, it is a Fun Gem of a BOB combat sim. Even with simplified engine workload, either plane can be overheated, over revved, stalled and they can enter a flat spin. WOTR can put an amazing number of planes in the BOB according to your adjustment of air activity on the workshop page of options. Medium had me a wreck and all shot up and belly landing at the nearest field in one Campaign. It is what it is. I encourage people to do a little investigating and chaeck out some of the you tube videos to see what you think. It would be great to hear more from you Snapper as you have a bit more time to explore WOTR. Thanks for offering your time to write this up.

S!Blade<><

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Supporting Member Blade_Meister's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.48 GB

Snapper, try this thread for your crash problem Sir. I know you are busy, but I am hoping you will give a bit of time here and there flying WOTR and check back in with your thoughts.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...ng#Post4440398

S!Blade<><

5. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

7. Likes Blade_Meister liked this post