Thread: Hi alll

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

Hi alll

I am having a go with il clod but finding it very daunting.

Flight sims are so technical and way above my brain's threshold but I will try to have fun.

How do you pilots read the instruments especially the Direction Gyro and Course Setter?,they are tiny.

I have tried Anti Aliassing using the settings here on this forum but the dials are hard to read because of the jaggedy lines and another thing I have keratoconus in my eyes.

Anyway cheers and good health to you all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    92.84 MB

Re: Hi alll

Hi Darren

Having a hat switch configured for zooming in and out helps. Alternatively, you can use the mouse cursor to give you a digital reading.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

Really struggling with this sim atm,just setting controls,I have a CH hotas and even that has not got enough buttons to use.

I mainly want to fly the RAF ac like the Spitty.

Would love a diagram for just controls specific to the raf planes.

My profile was modified from someone elses but half the controls don’t work because it was obviously made for german ac.

Setting up the controls for clod is a game in itself,I have spent hours and still not got up in the sky,I couldn’t start the Tiger Moth at all.

Anyway,ty for welcoming me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Hi Darren,

Welcome to the ATAG Forum!

My name is Snapper, I’m the admin for this forum, and my favourite aircraft in this sim is the Spitfire (although I have answered the siren’s call of the Beaufighter’s 4 x 20 mm cannon at times ).

I am so glad you have signed in here, and I implore you not to give up on Blitz for the moment...and I’ll tell you why. Your arrival here is Providential, and I’m not exaggerating. Just prior to Christmas I boldly committed to the Team Leader of Team Fusion Simulations, Buzzsaw, that I would fix the current system that is understandably causing you so much grief. Even more boldly, I committed to Buzzsaw that my ATAG colleagues would assist me!

With the imminent release of TFS 5.0 Tobruk we expect a significant influx of new players such as yourself. Believe me, we realize how unintuitive several aspects of Blitz is - the joystick/HOTAS assignments (as you’ve found), even just spawning into a desired aircraft online for a given Blue/Red side at a given airfield. Much needs to be fixed and tweaked, as you’re finding.

This is a shame, since there is so much RIGHT about this sim. Believe it or not, the controls (including mixture in the Brit fighters) operate and function correctly. The flight and damage modelling is the best in the business, the graphics are breathtaking, and the netcode for online combat is robust in the extreme.

Your CH HOTAS is an excellent one, and certainly very popular in the flight sim community. Quite correctly, one should expect to set up the axis & buttons in minutes and have them do what they’re supposed to. This is what we will strive for. Not in time for the 5.0 Tobruk release, but somewhere along the way.

According to Steam, I’ve accumulated over 3500 hours of Clod/Blitz time since 2011 - 99.9% in Spits. And...I’m still learning stuff! I would be very pleased to work with you on Spitfires and/or Hurricanes to get things sorted to your satisfaction. For my part, I will be taking notes on your perspectives, suggestions, and gripes which, hopefully, will translate into real change to benefit future newcomers to Blitz/Tobruk and beyond...

Please don’t hesitate to contact me here in this thread or by Private Mail.

In the meantime, if you agree to the above, please see about downloading and installing TeamSpeak - so much easier at times to speak back and forth in person.

I guarantee, once things are set up for you, the thrill of winging up with like-minded mates to intercept incoming 111’s, Ju88’s, 110’s, and 109’s is the greatest thing going!

Cheers,

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenMc View Post
    Really struggling with this sim atm,just setting controls,I have a CH hotas and even that has not got enough buttons to use.

I mainly want to fly the RAF ac like the Spitty.

Would love a diagram for just controls specific to the raf planes.

My profile was modified from someone elses but half the controls don’t work because it was obviously made for german ac.

Setting up the controls for clod is a game in itself,I have spent hours and still not got up in the sky,I couldn’t start the Tiger Moth at all.

Anyway,ty for welcoming me.
    These are an excellent reference https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guid...iffs-of-dover/

Chuck lists poutresential controls... many of the rest you can ignore... until you have a need for them !

Welcome to the skies... its well worth sticking at for a bit... huge fun to be had !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Hi Darren!

Good to see another Aussie join the party.

Stick with it mate it is SO worth it.

Check out the Youtube video below it will hopefully help you.

Hope you can join us online soon.

"A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Vampire View Post
    Hi Darren!

Good to see another Aussie join the party.

Stick with it mate it is SO worth it.

Check out the Youtube video below it will hopefully help you.

Hope you can join us online soon.

Oooooo !

I've not seen that one !"

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

8. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    293.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenMc View Post
    ,I couldn’t start the Tiger Moth at all.
    We currently have an event with the Tiger Moth, and try to have frequent practice sessions. We would love to have you join in on a practice session. One key we discovered with starting the Tiger Moth is setting the plane fuel rich, full throttle, and just repeatedly starting the engine(default key is [I]). After about a dozen or so starts, the prop should continue to spin, and you're all set!

As stated above, one of the best tools while using this game is Team Speak. This will allow you to communicate with others that can jump online and assist. The other alternative is posting on these forums.

I'm more of a blue player at the moment, but have recently started setting the controls for red. I look forward to meeting in the sky!

10. Likes DRock, ATAG_Pattle, danperin, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Hi Darren

Great post and some excellent points .

I would urge you to follow the advice you've already received and check out the video's and forum post's relating to the type of aircraft you wish to fly .

A lot of the controls listed are not required for basic flight . When I first started with COD I came from a background of other flight sims so had a good idea of what was needed and what to expect.

I still found it quite hard to begin with as this sim is more demanding of the pilot and closer to the real thing . I used the videos and read the post's but by far the best way for my learning style was have someone talk me through it in real time .

I strongly advise you to try using TeamSpeak and ask for any assistance you may require . This is by far the quickest way to move forward even if you do not wish to fly online combat at this time … (you will later ).

Hope to see you soon … and have fun !!! ... cos that's what it's all about .

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Hi Darren, and welcome to the community buddy.

Cliffs of Dover can seem complicated at the beginning, and it does come with a steep learning curve that's for sure, but you have come to the right place as we are always more than happy to help our new players with any issues they might have regarding the sim.

I hope that the help you have received above has helped you with your issues.

I would urge you to stick with it because this sim truly is a gem. I am sure that once you get up and running you will see how good this really is

Any other questions you might have then let us know either here in the forum or better still on Teamspeak.

Good to have you with us

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

13. Likes ATAG_Knight, danperin, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

I am a dumb person so don't expect me to have this down,it will take me a decade what you guys learn in a month,God did NOT create us equal I'm afraid.

Just setting up my CH hotas is sending my heart into an anxious mess.

I've already spent way too much time on it and now starting again.

Looking at the CH hotas guide for dummies yet again lol.

I will probably just play this offline.

I did fly the original CloD years ago but I was hopeless online,didn't know how to navigate(tiny dials and I also still after decades don't understand HSI's or navigation whatsoever,I get lost driving my car in real life.

I was hoping for something like the 90's sims,still the great physics but none of the fiddly technical stuff only suited for the lucky people born with the brain cells required.

God wanted me to fail in life,that's for sure.

i have keratoconus in my eyes so reading the instruments is a nightmare even with track ir and keratocous gives me nausea.

Anyway,no time spending hours on my hotas setup,need to exercise for mental health reasons.
    Last edited by DarrenMc; Feb-12-2019 at 18:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    806.84 MB

I get lost driving my car in real life.
    I've got lost driving inside of the neighborhood i've grown once...Afterwards i've got lost walking in the same neigh...How dumb is that?

I've flew all my way to London playing online one time (inside a BF-110 C7)...Searching for a target near DOVER!

16. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Hi Darren and welcome from another Aussie (near Newcastle NSW).
    As Snapper and others have said, TeamSpeak will shorten that learning curve dramatically. Talking thru stuff with experienced pilots is a LOT easier than trying to type u thru stuff.
    There is certainly a learning curve but it's not that hard once u get the basics sorted and that is best done with some1 on TeamSpeak.
    There is a zoom in and out feature in the Camera settings in the Controls setup drop down menu. Its called "Field of view + and Field of view -". Best mapped to buttons on ur stick for easy access so u can qwikly zoom in to see the dials clearly and then zoom back out.
    But please please join us on TeamSpeak. Even if u only want to play single player, talking with some1 will get u up and running sooo much faster.
    Lots of helpful folk online.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by danperin View Post
    I've got lost driving inside of the neighborhood i've grown once...Afterwards i've got lost walking in the same neigh...How dumb is that?

I've flew all my way to London playing online one time (inside a BF-110 C7)...Searching for a target near DOVER!

Now that is awesome,you know a plane flight would be the perfect way to get to know this sim,no distractions except for the screaming kid in the next seat wanting a sweet soda drink.

Actually,that would be this very old kid.
    Last edited by DarrenMc; Feb-12-2019 at 19:59.

19. Likes ATAG_Snapper, danperin liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torian View Post
    Hi Darren and welcome from another Aussie (near Newcastle NSW).
    As Snapper and others have said, TeamSpeak will shorten that learning curve dramatically. Talking thru stuff with experienced pilots is a LOT easier than trying to type u thru stuff.
    There is certainly a learning curve but it's not that hard once u get the basics sorted and that is best done with some1 on TeamSpeak.
    There is a zoom in and out feature in the Camera settings in the Controls setup drop down menu. Its called "Field of view + and Field of view -". Best mapped to buttons on ur stick for easy access so u can qwikly zoom in to see the dials clearly and then zoom back out.
    But please please join us on TeamSpeak. Even if u only want to play single player, talking with some1 will get u up and running sooo much faster.
    Lots of helpful folk online.
    I freeze up talking to people online but ty for the kind thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

In regards to your other post I'm glad you decided to give things a go. As you can see it's a good atmosphere around here. Even after several years flying IL2 and more recently Blitz I still find a lot of great information in these pages. There's so much content you'd be hard pressed trying to find a 'new' question that's not been addressed already.

So far as Blitz offline goes it's not the most rewarding experience apart from familiarisation with the aircraft / game and sightseeing. Even tasks like changing your armament or fuel levels don't work properly. The AI is not very interesting / good either. Much of that aspect is still under construction.

Online is where things shine. I spent a lot of time initially just sitting on airfields listening / watching others before I got into the air. Opening the canopy while the airfield was under attack was exhilarating. The map areas are typically large enough that you can spawn into an airfield far from the battle lines and gain some experience with less chance of becoming a kill statistic. Then again there's nothing quite like going straight into the deep end of the pool. Honestly though it is a game you get an understanding for what the real life situation for many in 1940 was like. Without the peril of course.

TrackIr is a great tool in aiding immersion and Teamspeak will at least keep you informed where things are happening, even if you don't immediately join in the conversations.

Cheers
    Dazza

22. Likes danperin, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

Setting up the controls is harder than the game itself.

Just can’t get a grasp on it.

If anyone has a ch hotas profile with printable duagrams (cm print) I’d be most grateful.

I have spent way too much time trying to get a profile going but alot of functions are missing and I forget what I am supposed to be doing because the control functions are all jumbled together.

Needs different control bindings for different ac,I don’t think even dcs World does this properly either because even though they have different ac control tabs,all the controls are lumped in together with no specific bindings for that particular ac,makes wanting to play the sims an absolute nightmare.

I have printed crap all over the tsble from giving it a go but I start getting anxiety and my mind san’t focus,I have given up coffee and alcohol but nothing seems to fix it.

Alot more people would play these sims otherwise,it’s the starting point,the controls which stops them.
    Last edited by DarrenMc; Feb-12-2019 at 21:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

I have the CH stick (and the throttle too, although i switched it out and now use the throttle quadrant), and maybe i can give you some help when i have time, hopefully this w/e.

Not saying that my set up is the best, but could be a starting point at least Darren.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

25. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    I have the CH stick (and the throttle too, although i switched it out and now use the throttle quadrant), and maybe i can give you some help when i have time, hopefully this w/e.

Not saying that my set up is the best, but could be a starting point at least Darren.
    I decided to uninstall the game,I started getting depression trying to work out the controls,more my fault cause I am a dumbass but you are given the genes you are born with.

Sorry to all.

I will wait to see what happens in future patches,right now I want to jump from a building from being overwhelmed.

Good health to you all.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

I just uninstalled Battle Of Stalingrad also as I am useless with that sim even though my controls work.

I couldn't get a plane off the runway without it circling,tried too many times.

I'm no good with flight sims of any kind,they make my brain hurt.

I don't have the intellectual brain power to work it out.

So farewell my friends.

I loved looking at the planes and I love watching pilots fly in these sims on you tube,Phil Styles is brilliant,I could never be that good in a million years.

Anyway Cya you flight sim friends.

Maybe in my next life , God will give me some more cylinders haha.

Life aint fun,when you are dumb.

I think I will just roam around in Skyrim on easy setting,that's what relaxes me and makes me happy.

I'm too old and dumb for flight simming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Well you gave it a good 24 hrs effort before giving up !

Joking aside the learning curve is a whole lot steeper than that.
    But frustrating / confusing as it was/is for EVERYBODY it's a great sim for those with an interest in this period of aviation.

All the best
    Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Feb-13-2019 at 09:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.59 MB
    Weapons of choice
    MS Force Feedback 2, Saitek Rudder, Nvidia GTX 1080 (Reference Design), AMD Ryzen 2200g (3.95 Ghz OC Game Mode) Asrock B450 iTX/AC, 16G GSkill 3200 Mhz @14 CAS
    OpenTrack and DIY Head-Tracker (Wire) https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=28730 (Many thanks to OpenSource Contributer) 'S

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Darren, we’ve all agreed here that the learning curve for Blitz is steep. Many here, including myself, offered to help which you have repeatedly turned down. We get it.

We all hope you find the sim or game that best matches your preferences.

Cheers,

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz