Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweet FX for IL2COD

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Sweet FX for IL2COD

Sweet FX gives IL2COD a much more natural look along with aiding in the smoothing of edges. Once using it you really can't go back. It looks wonderful.

This attachment is a compilation of settings perfectly tweaked for Cliffs of Dover. To use simply drag all files into the Program Files/steam/IL2-Cliffs of Dover root folder. This is the same location as the launcher.exe

Once all files have been placed into the proper location you are all set. These settings have been painstakingly tweaked by a user at the 1C forums, I believe it was Les (don't quote me though)

Simply hit the scroll-lock key to toggle between on and off while in game.

This can be used both offline and online.

Enjoy

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Sweet FX for IL2COD

Thanks for this, Bliss. Will try this later tonight.

I did try the SweetFX GUI which worked great at first. Like everyone, I soon started to booger around with all the settings to see what did what to what. (Scientific terms, bear with me. ). Soon found that SweetFX no longer gave sweet FX. Apparently in goofing around with all the sliders 'n stuff (more hi-tech terminology. Sorry!) certain files get corrupted and you have to uninstall and reinstall. At this point my head starts hurting, I start massively sweating, the voices start up again, and, unless forcibly restrained, I go running out into the street stark naked yelling "Locusts!" in mid-January.

Think this one will work, though? (No pressure).

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

3. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post

Think this one will work, though? (No pressure).
    Works like a champ. As they say, place it in your root folder and "Forget about it!"

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss View Post
    Works like a champ. As they say, place it in your root folder and "Forget about it!"
    Many thanks!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Please excuse my ignorance but what is SweetFX? Is it a program that needs to be installed and run in the background while these setting are put into CloD?

If it is a program will it affect other games? How does it interact with Nvidia control panel, Vsync and other settings?

Is all that is needed the zip files placed into root directory and it works?

No problems with CloD multiplayer?

Thank you for your patience.

Cheers!

EDIT:::
    I found this explanation of SweetFX on the interwebs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v21m_p7d2A4
    Last edited by DK_; Jan-21-2013 at 19:05.
    ---o-0-o---

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Yep it's just a simple drag and drop and don't worry about it (at least for me)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    53.93 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss View Post
    Yep it's just a simple drag and drop and don't worry about it (at least for me)
    Hi Bliss,
    As you may recall, I had mentioned that my system would hang at various points when using the program. Colander helped me by looking at my dump file and noting that it was a buffers swap issue.

What eventually got it to work for me was that I had to remove the d3d9.dll file. Once that was removed it worked like a charm. I heard this solution somewhere else also where some were having an issue similar to me.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

As I don't want to mess anything up on my PC I would like to know if the d3d9.dll file in this would cause conflict with the following:

EVGA Precision a gpu fan & clock controller and temp monitor (I think like afterburner)
    Antec Chill control, a cpu fan controller and temp monitor.

Thanks
    ---o-0-o---

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I run EVGA Precision to monitor and control my video card, plus my PSU is an Antec 750 watt. I plonked in the unzipped folder/files that Bliss linked to and experienced no problems whatsoever. I was on the watch for any possible D9D.dll trouble, but all's well. Dang, it is beautiful, I gotta say!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    I run EVGA Precision to monitor and control my video card, plus my PSU is an Antec 750 watt. I plonked in the unzipped folder/files that Bliss linked to and experienced no problems whatsoever. I was on the watch for any possible D9D.dll trouble, but all's well. Dang, it is beautiful, I gotta say!
    Thanks for the reply.......so you don't have to download and install a SweetFX program? Just drag and drop the files and the On/Off Scroll Lock works?

What if you want to get rid of the files later? Is there an easy way?

Cheers
    ---o-0-o---

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DK_ View Post
    Thanks for the reply.......so you don't have to download and install a SweetFX program? Just drag and drop the files and the On/Off Scroll Lock works?

What if you want to get rid of the files later? Is there an easy way?

Cheers
    Yep! I used 7Zip to unzip the files to a separate location on my hard drive. I then simply did a copy and paste of the unzipped folder + files to the main Clod folder on my C drive. (In my case : C:/Programs(86)/Steam/Steam Apps/Common/IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover).

Easy peasy.

To uninstall simply delete the folder + files you dropped in. That's it.

I never tried the Scroll Lock on/off function. Reason? It looked so damn good, why mess around? Honestly!

BTW, absolutely NO effect on frame rates.

Veteran Combat pilot No.54 Ghost (KL-G)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

i tested it and it seems it just makes everything a bit more dark.
    i need a flashlight now to see the instruments haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Truly a case of YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Ghost, it may be worth increasing the brightness of your monitor a tad with the SweetFX running. I think you'll be impressed with the richness of the landscape colours (which isn't over-saturated to look unnatural), the slight increase in contrast (better for spotting distant contacts), and what to me seems a lifting of the "haze" that the stock non-SweetFX Clod has.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Is there anyway to keep the Teamspeak overlay working with SweetFX? I've tried before usually but it usually results in my game not launching.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by coolhand3011 View Post
    Is there anyway to keep the Teamspeak overlay working with SweetFX? I've tried before usually but it usually results in my game not launching.
    I had problems with TS Overlay, I don't know whether it was associated with using injected fx but I have TS Notifier working with it fine.

Septic.
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

OMG!!!!

many thanks to the guy who did that.
    many thanks also to cast this thing.

could not believe at first, when you toggle off, it seems the screen has been washed away.

Dutch

Well it's just typical of me to be contrary isn't it? I think it's just too damned dark. Feels like I'm wearing sunglasses.
    Very good ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Really there is no "best" option for sweetfx. Theres way too many variables - monitors/video cards/ambient lighting/etc etc etc etc...
    ...etc etc

I use FlightFX, which is a simple GUI interface that makes it really easy to change your settings on the fly, and get the best look from your system.

http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34103

It was designed with RoF in mind, but it works very well on every game ive tried it on, including CloD.

Have fun tweaking
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks to Bliss for putting up the files and thanks to Snapper for the input.

I have tried it and it is interesting. It instantly puts a more realistic look on the screen(s).

I had no problems with Precision.

Cheers!
    ---o-0-o---

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    826.55 MB

First Impressions a Definite Thumbs Up,Good Work

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    68.92 MB

I tried this a while back and i couldnt get the game to launch...works a treat now!!...Might keep my ATI card a while longer

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    68.92 MB

Hmmm.....spoke to soon...crashing again...ran some experiments and it doesnt like the TS3 overlay...switch to TSNotifier...all good now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Just one question about sweet FX.

I have a 4GB Nvidia 670 card. I have installed the Sweet FX into the correct folder but do I need to set my Nvidia Control panel settings to default? I'm just wondering if having FXAA enabled in the control panel will make a difference? So pretty much my question is, what settings are required in Nvidia Control panel to get the best results from Sweet FX?

Cheers, MP

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Just one question about sweet FX.

I have a 4GB Nvidia 670 card. I have installed the Sweet FX into the correct folder but do I need to set my Nvidia Control panel settings to default? I'm just wondering if having FXAA enabled in the control panel will make a difference? So pretty much my question is, what settings are required in Nvidia Control panel to get the best results from Sweet FX?

Cheers, MP
    Welcome back from your Jollies!

As far as I know your Nvidia driver settings have no bearing on injected SMAA. I run FXAA as well as injected SMAA but don't use any other anti-alaising, which is just a current preference, which is always changing!

Cheers,

Septic.
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I can't get SweetFX to start on one of my copies of my dual boot Windows system. I have two hardrives each with a copy of Windows 7 64bit and COD installed. I can run SweetFX from one but not the other. Of course its the harddrive and copy of windows I want to run it on, that doesn't work. Both copies of windows have the latest Direct X. I even tried copying the SweetFX files from the IL-2 files that work, to the one that doesn't still no joy. At first a log file wouldn't load. Then I finally got the log file to load, but only the path appeared.

It must be Windows related. I run both boots as Admin, and tried setting the file security access the same. I've run out of ideas.

On the border of the Eastern and Western Roman Empire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    763 Bytes

I downloaded Sweet FX v1.3 from here
    After that I copied all the files (except dx9 files I dont need) to my il2 folder. Then I adjusted LumaSharpen (sharpness; it was set to high by default) and vibrance (saturation) I changed to negative value to kill the oversaturated look of the sim. Its perfect now and I dont need high contrast which can be to dark sometimes (depending of the time in the game ofcourse). Ofcourse, FXAA is working great and I have AA turned off in the game gui to save performance. Im very pleased now how the game looks. A small change which makes so much difference.
    Last edited by Tvrdi; Feb-12-2013 at 06:31.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    click here for fixes if you have stutters in Cliffs Of Dover

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I too think Sweet FX is a nice addition. Toggle it on and off and you can see the differance especially in sharpness without getting too contrasty (is that a word?) I tried loading it manually and windows would not launch the Clod. I went back and deleted the SFX files and used this very simple program that adds Sweet FX to any compatable game with a couple clicks and/or removes it with just a click.

http://sweetfx.thelazy.net/ It's called the Sweet FX Configurator. Download the v1.3.3 installer version >run> add the game .exe you want to add Sweet FX to and hit the save/launch button. and you're good to go.
    Last edited by 9./JG52 Ziegler; Feb-20-2013 at 22:30.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.93 MB

Unhappy Re: Sweet FX for IL2COD

I have been using the program for about 3 mo now and the scenery was very good compared to original. My only problem is that when I press scroll lock to change temporarily back to the normal view which is much lighter, I can see planes further away. Because of this I took sweetfx off for now.

On the border of the Eastern and Western Roman Empire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    763 Bytes

Quote Originally Posted by wowsers View Post
    I have been using the program for about 3 mo now and the scenery was very good compared to original. My only problem is that when I press scroll lock to change temporarily back to the normal view which is much lighter, I can see planes further away. Because of this I took sweetfx off for now.
    Like we said you can adjust settings so the sky isnt too dark and you will see planes. I only lowered a saturation a bit and lowered sharpness a bit (as it was too strong by default in sweetfx settings). Thats enough for me, you really dont need to mess with the contrast as this can darken a pic too much.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    click here for fixes if you have stutters in Cliffs Of Dover

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

Here is my sweetFX before and after
    Before, High noon

After

I messed around with it until it looked good for me on my monitor.
    You can try it out if you like. Just drop the txt file in your C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightFX\FX\SweetFX\Presets or where ever you have it installed and select it in the GUI.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Logan AKA Blackwolf
    Head Tater peeler,
    20th Bomber Group

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast