Thread: Tiger Moth does not start at all despite every mixture,throttle setting known to man

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

Tiger Moth does not start at all despite every mixture,throttle setting known to man

..and yes,I did turn the magnetos on.

I saw a you tube video say you need to put the mixture on just a little more than the throttle just below that,I tried it,Engine stopped.

Then I tried going just a tad less than full mixture with the throttle just below,engine stopped.

Then in a fit of frustration,I went up and down the whole scale of the mixture and throttle settings for an hour and ,you guessed it,engine stopped.

How on Earth do you get this bird started?

Or is this plane broken in Blitz?

I'm just not good enough for this flight sim stuff,not very fun fiddling with gauges and mixture settings.

Get me up in the air for crying out loud.

This is the tutorial I followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aLAstkRn5M

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Re: Tiger Moth does not start at all despite every mixture,throttle setting known to

Blitz mixture is broken. Only use Full Rich.

To get it up, fuel cock in.

Full throttle start 10 times until it somehow starts to catch

or use 3 - 7 % throttle and let it warm up. Try full throttle after a long while, takes way longer than the full throttle way.

3. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

Re: Tiger Moth does not start at all despite every mixture,throttle setting known to

Seems alot is broken in Clod.
    I spent hours and hours on setting up my controls only finding out alot of them are redundant for the raf ac.

The control gui in this game needs to present the settings needed for each ac only not bundle a huge pile of commands together.

Why not many play the game because of the huge hurdle setting up controls.

P.S. bit of a bummer mixture is broken.

Might uninstall and download the normal clod with the mods or just give it up entirely.
    Last edited by DarrenMc; Feb-12-2019 at 08:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

It's not like theres a lot of Sims featuring this kind of thing in a correct and working condition.

Either way, you need to start a cold engine quite rich anyway, if you know the technical stuff.

I don't think that the old game was quite accurate, I don't think you want to go back.

If you think anything is redundant, then you might not know that most stuff is not the "same" as you think and therfore cannot be used for the same thing. In this case, this game is more accurate.

No one tells you to play complicated games, but I do like accurate games, so I like to play this game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenMc View Post
    Seems alot is broken in Clod.
    I spent hours and hours on setting up my controls only finding out alot of them are redundant for the raf ac.

The control gui in this game needs to present the settings needed for each ac only not bundle a huge pile of commands together.

Why not many play the game because of the huge hurdle setting up controls.

P.S. bit of a bummer mixture is broken.

Might uninstall and download the normal clod with the mods or just give it up entirely.
    Hi Darren, I'm another Darren.

This game was originally released before it was fully working and then soon after the company closed its doors. There are commands that are 'left-overs' from prior IL2 products that don't apply in Blitz. So yes, you are correct that not everything is working as it should be. Team Fusion have been actively upgrading / modding / fixing Clod for several years to make it a useable sim. It's come a long, long way but some things are still works in progress. Plus they created some new content not in the original game, and there's much more coming with the upgrade to version 5.

In the meantime there are a great many tutorials on this forum, and others, plus multiple youtube videos addressing every aspect of this sim. And if that's not enough to get you up and running then any further questions will be answered here. The Clod Blitz community is an entertaining and helpful one. Most 'flyers' are middle aged aviation enthusiasts rather than young 'gamers'. They're happy to help.

Uninstalling Blitz to have 'normal' Clod will only take you backwards to a version of the game that is worse. Giving up entirely will give you more time for other things.

However the first thing I suggest is you watch some youtube Blitz videos and see just how good this sim is. Then all it takes is a little patience setting it up correctly and you'll experience it for yourself. Then once you go into multiplayer you can get shot full of holes like the rest of us. There's no 'magic' quick method to get 'good' in Clod. It takes time and effort.

Hope to see you in the skies. (Before you see me if you're flying German / Italian planes !)
    Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Feb-12-2019 at 09:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    818.69 MB

Absolutely DO NOT give up on Blitz.....absolutely DO what others have suggested here! Get Teamspeak ASAP and start asking questions.....there are no dumb questions (believe me). Many pilots will stop what they are doing and walk you through this one step at time....that's the kind of people in this community.
    Welcome and Good Luck
    There's something good waitin' down this road
    I'm pickin' up whatever's mine.
    "Tom Petty...Runnin' Down A Dream...Full Moon Fever"

8. Likes tgif, ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello Darren

You are watching a video from 2011, and it is from the original game... which was not modeled accurately.

Process to start Tiger Moth:

- Open fuel cock

- Switch on the Magnetos

- Mixture to 100% (leave it where it is when you spawn in)

- Throttle to 10%

- Chocks In

- Hit 'I' button to start engine

- Leave engine idling at your throttle setting for at least 1 minute.

- After 1 minute... push the throttle forward firmly and quickly to 100%. The engine will likely stumble, then catch and rpms should rise to approx. 1600. Leave the engine revving at this rpm for another 1 minute.

- Reduce throttle back to 10%.

- Chocks Out

- Add throttle and taxi... remembering you need to use a lot of rudder for direction changes and that the aircraft needs to be moving for the rudder to be effective.... so you will need to start taxing before you can turn. Use short bursts of throttle... between 10% and 50% to help steer... don't get taxing too fast or you will lose control.

- Taxi to the runway, straighten out... and start takeoff.

- When taking off be careful not to add full throttle right away... gradually add throttle... and in fact it is often best to not exceed 80% throttle when taking off to avoid ground loops.

See the TF Wiki page and Flight Manuals here:

https://www.theairtacticalassaultgro...flight_manuals

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenMc View Post
    ..and yes,I did turn the magnetos on.

I saw a you tube video say you need to put the mixture on just a little more than the throttle just below that,I tried it,Engine stopped.

Then I tried going just a tad less than full mixture with the throttle just below,engine stopped.

Then in a fit of frustration,I went up and down the whole scale of the mixture and throttle settings for an hour and ,you guessed it,engine stopped.

How on Earth do you get this bird started?

Or is this plane broken in Blitz?

I'm just not good enough for this flight sim stuff,not very fun fiddling with gauges and mixture settings.

Get me up in the air for crying out loud.

This is the tutorial I followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aLAstkRn5M
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Feb-12-2019 at 18:23.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

If anyone wants to go through setting up a hotas with me which will take 8 hours,I need to write everything down so I don’t forget.

This sim is daunting for me,don’t get me started on Falcon bms,no chance I will learn that sim,we were not created equal which is why online is sorta pointless,the brainy ganging on the dumb.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    144.21 MB

The system recommended above is pretty close to the real thing. On the Tiger the mixture is left fully forward and is not adjusted for starting. The only time you lean the mixture is if you are climbing above, say, 5,000 feet. Maybe try fully rich, with the throttle cracked about a finger width, and see how you get on. The other Tiger peculiarity is that you should start on only the front mag switch (RH mag) because there is a spring operated impulse starter there that not only delays (can't use the proper word because of Steam's PC filter) the ignition but also gives a faster flick to the mag for a better spark. If you can't hear the click when you swing the prop, you hit the mag with a hammer - most of them are multiply dented. I've got no idea whether this may work in the sim (can't find the sim hammer), but anyway it doesn't operate once the engine is running.

Why not start on both mags, you ask? Because if the engine has been running and fires on the rear (LH) mag, it is on full advance and will kick back hard enough to throw the guy turning the prop to the ground, break his hand or, if he's really unlucky, pull him forward into the next prop blade.

I'd like to be able to stop the prop in the sim, by turning mags off and slowing down, so that I can do a dive restart, but haven't managed it yet. Depending on the blade pitch you need about 130 - 140 MPH to restart the prop, unless the motor's worn out. Trick is to jerk the stick back a little at the point of start, to increase incidence on the prop. If you jerk too hard the wings have been known to stay up there....... If anyone's managed this, I'd like to hear how.

One thought. On both the real thing and the sim I use full throttle for takeoff. I find I get there at about the point where the tailskid lifts off. It does pay to leave the stick about neutral and let the tail come up of its own accord. This approach seems to work for most CloD aircraft, too.

Regards, David
    Last edited by DavePro; Feb-13-2019 at 22:04. Reason: Added sentence

12. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

For start Tiger Moth you don't need touch mixture, magnetos...

Just do this - tested again before post:

1 - Go to Options > Controls > Aircraft

Set an key/button for "Throttle 10%" *

2 - Open "Fuel cock" - by click on lever or press assigned key/button.

3 - Hit the key mapped for "throttle 10%".

4 - Press and hold briefly the key/button for "Toggle Selected Engine" - that means "Start Selected Engine".

goris deathclaw

Do anything more is just "what if" - your choice.

* The issue with Tiger Moth - that remain from CloD release and at time are common to other planes**, is the position of throttle position.

10% work, but 9.8% or 10.2% no.

Or, throttle 10% position is difficult - but not impossible, to achieve with an analog throttle - of joysticks or HOTAS.

After 4.50 Tiger Moth has a new bug, after engine start RPM is very low ~600 RPM - a plaque in right side of cockpit say 800-900 RPM, and you can wait all day that temperature don't goes up, or engine don't warm-up.

Is need use the "workaround" posted above by Buzzsaw:

- After 1 minute... push the throttle forward firmly and quickly to 100%.
    The engine will likely stumble, then catch and rpms should rise to approx. 1600.
    Leave the engine revving at this rpm for another 1 minute.
    ** Now in planes like Spitfire throttle position is way more forgiving, can start with throttle between 0% and ~20% position - above start but make plane shack badly.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Feb-16-2019 at 13:57.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

Thanks for the great info 1lokos.

OK,I will come back to this sim.

On xplane 11 atm just learning how to fly and land basically.

Xplane has amazing physics,you can really feel the weight of the 172.

Controls are great too,very robust,you click a button on your hotas then a drop down menu you select for whatever function,really nice.

I want to get back to Clod ,redownloading.

I know it’s an older sim but I love the feel of it,just gotta exercise patience.

I think I overlooked the zooming functions of this sim.

Also I had issues with my ram playing up,more a timings thing,loosened them from 14 to 16 and upped the voltage and no errors at all in memtest.

I found in normal gaming,my pc ran fine but with flight sims that utilise 32 gig,my pc would crash to it’s knees,hopefully the new settings fix things,haven’t tried it yet,went out with my better half to the pub then chinese food for Valentines.

Peace mates.
    Last edited by DarrenMc; Feb-14-2019 at 20:01.

15. Likes SharkBait liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

If u want to go the realistic approach the do what's recommend above..but you guys are making it way too complicated if the guy just wants to get it started and fly. To do that just put the throttle at 100%. Open the fuel cock. Don't touch the mixture. Then just hit the engine start button like 5-10 times, it will eventually catch and run. You can then taxi and take off right away. It sounds like he is overwhelmed at the moment so simplifying things for him will help him out right now.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

17. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits, tgif liked this post