Thread: Seat and pedals slipping on your shiny floor? Read on good fellow, read on....

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Seat and pedals slipping on your shiny floor? Read on good fellow, read on....

Welcome dear reader.

Settle down by the fire and let me tell you a tale.

It all started some weeks ago when my gaze fell upon my wooden school chair and I wondered, was it perhaps in need of an upgrade?

After a disappointing hour perusing the available cockpit chairs through my computers world-wide-window I decided would go once more unto the breach of DIY.

£45 and a half hour drive later I had procured a pair of seats from one of those ghastly new BMW minis. You know the ones... size of a prize bull that has eaten a range rover.

Really really nice chairs though.

And so after dismantling my existing setup and fashioning a hand crafted seat platform of the finest packing crate ply wood that the replacement broken ceramic hob came in just after that accident on boxing day in the kitchen with that really heavy jar of sugar.... My apologies dear reader. I lack both punctuation and I digress.....

chair.jpg

Amazingly comfortable... but lo ! what is this ?!

Chair 2.jpg

When playing Project Cars 2 and stomping on the brakes my chair doth upon occasion slip so slightly but with enough of a movement that I am beset by the most cruel and persistent disappointment. A crushing embarrassment at my own failure and the full knowledge that many upon many sleepless nights await me to add salt into my self loathing pity.

I was almost at my very witts end when a knock on my door alerted me to a visitation.

Why it was none other than my good friend Gory !

Now one of the things about Gory is that he works in a highly secretive profession and knows a thing or two about magical materials that can resist the very laws of nature !

You can see how secretive he is for yourself right here:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...er.php?u=14540

He produced from his own stocks a most remarkable material called Dycem

Dycem.jpeg

I am assured it comes in a variety of colours.

It's amazing actually. I put some under the rear feet of my chair base and it’s like it’s been welded to the floor ! I can push as hard as I like on the pedals and all I can achieve is eventually tipping the chair up on its back feet... it's not going anywhere.

I'm actually really surprised that peripheral makers don’t use this stuff instead of the normal rubber feet they put on their kit that doesn’t really work at all. It really is grippy !

So basically just a really long waffelly post about Dycem which is the exact opposite of Teflon.

If you have stuff slipping about on your floor get yourself some Dycem (available at amazon) it's pretty fantastic.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Re: Seat and pedals slipping on your shiny floor? Read on good fellow, read on....

Well done Sir, you really 'stuck it to em'!

Last edited by ATAG_Vampire; Feb-16-2019 at 09:32.
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Re: Seat and pedals slipping on your shiny floor? Read on good fellow, read on....

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Welcome dear reader.

Settle down by the fire and let me tell you a tale.

It all started some weeks ago when my gaze fell upon my wooden school chair and I wondered, was it perhaps in need of an upgrade?

After a disappointing hour perusing the available cockpit chairs through my computers world-wide-window I decided would go once more unto the breach of DIY.

£45 and a half hour drive later I had procured a pair of seats from one of those ghastly new BMW minis. You know the ones... size of a prize bull that has eaten a range rover.

Really really nice chairs though.

And so after dismantling my existing setup and fashioning a hand crafted seat platform of the finest packing crate ply wood that the replacement broken ceramic hob came in just after that accident on boxing day in the kitchen with that really heavy jar of sugar.... My apologies dear reader. I lack both punctuation and I digress.....

chair.jpg

Amazingly comfortable... but lo ! what is this ?!

Chair 2.jpg

When playing Project Cars 2 and stomping on the brakes my chair doth upon occasion slip so slightly but with enough of a movement that I am beset by the most cruel and persistent disappointment. A crushing embarrassment at my own failure and the full knowledge that many upon many sleepless nights await me to add salt into my self loathing pity.

I was almost at my very witts end when a knock on my door alerted me to a visitation.

Why it was none other than my good friend Gory !

Now one of the things about Gory is that he works in a highly secretive profession and knows a thing or two about magical materials that can resist the very laws of nature !

You can see how secretive he is for yourself right here:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...er.php?u=14540

He produced from his own stocks a most remarkable material called Dycem

Dycem.jpeg

I am assured it comes in a variety of colours.

It's amazing actually. I put some under the rear feet of my chair base and it’s like it’s been welded to the floor ! I can push as hard as I like on the pedals and all I can achieve is eventually tipping the chair up on its back feet... it's not going anywhere.

I'm actually really surprised that peripheral makers don’t use this stuff instead of the normal rubber feet they put on their kit that doesn’t really work at all. It really is grippy !

So basically just a really long waffelly post about Dycem which is the exact opposite of Teflon.

If you have stuff slipping about on your floor get yourself some Dycem (available at amazon) it's pretty fantastic.
    Velcro works great, too. You can remove everything to clean then stick things back in their exact place. It doesn't hurt flooring it you need to remove it, as well.

Nice setup, Seas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Duplicate of post #6
    Last edited by Baffin; Feb-16-2019 at 15:26.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

I use a cheap yoga mat I bought for $10 to keep my pedals from sliding around. Works great!

6. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Crutch tips ($2.95 / 4 at ACE Hardware) that fit the back legs of your chair will prevent aft movement. Swivel castors fitted to the front legs will permit forward adjustment and still allow backward movement by lifting up on the back of the seat. My stick is mounted to a post which limits forward movement of the seat.

Warning: Choose white rubber instead of black to avoid black marks on the floor... I think white has more friction as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

8. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    Crutch tips ($2.95 / 4 at ACE Hardware) that fit the back legs of your chair will prevent aft movement. Swivel castors fitted to the front legs will permit forward adjustment and still allow backward movement by lifting up on the back of the seat. My stick is mounted to a post which limits forward movement of the seat.

Warning: Choose white rubber instead of black to avoid black marks on the floor... I think white has more friction as well.
    Love it ! and on second inspection...

A suitably placed brass draw handle on the back of the chair to aid "lifty-pull-about" before dropped to "Signal ground crew to engage Walking Stick style chocks" mode.

I love this kind of stuff !

so many MacGyver's here

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Love it ! and on second inspection...

A suitably placed brass draw handle on the back of the chair to aid "lifty-pull-about" before dropped to "Signal ground crew to engage Walking Stick style chocks" mode.

I love this kind of stuff !

so many MacGyver's here

I am honored... live long and prosper!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    38.21 MB

I have to put chocks in so my chair won't roll on it's wheels whilst pushing against my rudder pedals.

The second picture is spot on in addressing a secondary shortcoming I have in my setup. There was hope you had a similar thought in the text that accompanied the pic. and therefore made an answer to the perceived common problem. Alas no.
    I could surely use a cut out at the front of my seat to allow space for the stick to fit into and move my person closer to the monitor. But the chair I use incorporates mesh in it's construction, so simply cutting a notch won't work for me.

I think your pit could use some more do hickies.
    AKA Jim

12. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post