Thread: New to game

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.0 KB

New to game

Hi, I am a casual ww2 gamer since the Fighter Ace flight sim. I have been playing ww2online off and on for some time now, but their flight model is bad and makes for a one sided game. I have found this game to fulfill my ww2 flight sim hobby and need some help getting started. The joystick is not mapped, and a bit confusing. Are there some files I can download that will pre map them for me to get me started with a basic map to fine tune? Also, I have trackir and was hoping there were some settings that are right for this game and some pre map files for that as well. I have a 568 CH combat stick(no twist) and CH rudder pedals(old but functional). My system is not quad core yet, but runs an i37350 @ 4.2ghz, 16gb 3200ram and an rx 560 4gb gpu. I have downloaded teamspeak and can get on the server. I am usually available evenings and I am willing to train on the server if someone is willing to train me.

I flew Germany on ww2online because they needed pilots, so I would like to learn their planes first and have a fighting chance for a change . If I am correct in my memory of technology at the time, Britain's planes must not have fuel injection? I will probably find the underdog in that and fly them too, so if anyone is available to teach me those planes and responds, I'll take you up on it.

I am also willing to fly with a squad that flies other ww2 flight sims, I can't get enough of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.55 MB

Re: New to game

Hello and welcome to this fantastic community!

As for key mappings, I would suggest using the "Chuck's Guides" as a reference - you can find them here. If you want to start out flying blue (German), take a look at the PDF for the 109. Starting on page 24, there is a list of all key bindings you need. I would suggest just starting off with those marked in red text as "ESSENTIAL". Be sure to save your key bindings to a file! This is independent from them being saved in-game, but it is very handy if you want to have different key bindings for red or blue, or even for different planes (although that is probably overkill). I have also heard that there is a sync setting in Steam that can overwrite your game settings... yet another reason to save your key bindings to a file! As for TrackIR profiles, I use Karaya's which you can find here. Note that you may need to adjust it depending upon how close you are to your display, where and how your clip is mounted, etc. Play around with it and see what works best for you. I'm glad to hear that you're set up for TeamSpeak. Send me a PM if you want to set up a time to meet up and fly together. I look forward to seeing you in the skies!

3. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Hi mate. There's a steep learning curve to Clod with many realisations along the way of how different aspects of this game work - or don't - and how to get on with it. As you possibly know the game was originally released in an unfinished state and soon after abandoned officially. Team Fusion volunteers have been updating / fixing / modifying the game over the following years and adding more content.

There are a great many tutorials in these pages plus Chucks Guides and helpful videos on youtube. Most control assignments are to a personal taste so no uniform mapping will suit 2 flyers. There really is no substitute than putting the time in and making your own, and as a consequence you'll better understand how things work. There are many command options in the 'Settings' lists which are leftovers from prior IL2 products that don't apply to Clod. In these forum pages you can find break downs of basic 'required' commands / controls for individual aircraft to start with. Even after a few years involved I still find interesting things on this forum. There are TrackIr profiles uploaded by users tweaked to personal tastes, but any basic flight sim type works.

Regarding the aircraft in Clod both sides have their advantages and disadvantages, just as it was in history. But it's not so cut and dried, there are some amazing flyers who have put in the time to exploit both aspects to a high standard. The rest of us get full of holes.

Overall it's a great community and very helpful. You'll see !

Cheer
    Daz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

this game is something else compared to Fighter ace days.

I also have CH stuff, you might find yourself a bit short of buttons without a throttle but workarounds with the keyboard. some basic ones you will need mapped.

open / close water radiator
    increase / decrease prop pitch. I suggest the 4 way castle on your stick.

I use zoom + and - all the time when contact spotting so that also needs to be handy.
    Maybe use the numpad for all of the trim as you have trackir for views.

It can be frustrating at first to get everything setup but it is worth it for the sheer joy of flight, the fighting is just a bonus.

The community is also excellent, very civilized and willing to help.
    Last edited by No.119_Bruv; Feb-18-2019 at 15:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Welcome to the Community and Forums tenthstream...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve too...

Beginners Guide

Windows Management Guide

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

I recommend getting in the online server as soon as you can take off if that's ultimately where you'd like to fly...I flew single player for 30 minutes before I took the plunge...The ATAG online server is a great environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player.....It is also mission based just with real players trying to foil your objectives...If you are concerned then pick an airstrip furthest from the front line (there always is one or two on every map) and get some alt before you go hunting...You'll get tagged a lot but there are tricks you learn out of pure desperation in those first few weeks that you'll be able to use later...I know cos I still use the same tricks I learned then too because they work...and never underestimate the stall to get you out of a tight fix...That sometimes works too...

TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you say very little once you are on the server...You are quite welcome to just listen if you feel more comfortable with that....so you don't actually need a mic either...Try it and see!

Here are a few fun, helpful and interesting links amongst these forums you might want to bag for future reference...

Most Watched CLOD Videos

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Joystick and Hardware Thread

ATAG Forum Age Poll Results

Nvidea Control Panel Settings

Downloads

Contact spotting is massively important in any flight sim...Seeing that enemy before he sees you is a race you don't want to be second in...Check this link to see if you can tweak your rig any better...

Contact Spotting Test

Don't forget to keep up with the latest on the TeamFusion new aircraft and patch news...You could well be AMAZED!

TeamFusion Facebook Updates

And finally...Please take the time to have a read of some of the stories of military family adventures by a few of the members of this forum...and maybe share yours with us...~S~

A Tribute to Those Who Served

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...

===================================
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.0 KB

Ty, I have been logging on and trying to map keys. One problem I am having is the keys I set to set the prop pitch will only work on the british planes, not the germans. I will look over the information you have all given and keep plugging away. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Which German aircraft are you trying to fly? The ones with automatic pitch governors (109 E-4, 110 C-4Late, 110 C-4N among others) require it to be turned off before manual pitch can be used and then retoggled on if so desired. If you see me on Teamspeak I'll be happy to help out getting you up in the air mit der Luftwaffe.

Welcome, by the way

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

9. Likes SharkBait, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

The control layout is super confusing in this sim.

I own a CH hotas as well but decided that space sims are my go,I am too dopey to understand navigation and the instruments.

I was hoping for a ch hotas profile for the Spitfire.

Right now I have a head cold and miserable so no time for clod until my esteem picks up.

Always thinking about jumping off a building when I’m down.

If anyone wants to help me set up my hotas for the Spitfire,I’d be grateful.

11. Likes QB.Creep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

I use the CH stick Darren. I could probably help you set it up this w/e.

I think that it is a challenge worth embracing because it is a great sim, and a great group here.
    Last edited by farley; Feb-20-2019 at 08:11.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

13. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.55 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenMc View Post
    If anyone wants to help me set up my hotas for the Spitfire,I’d be grateful.
    Hey DarrenMc! One of the fantastic things about this sim is that most of the instruments are clickable in the cockpit, so there isn't too much that you absolutely have to bind to a key or axis to get started. I would suggest taking a look at pages 21 and 22 of the fabulous Chuck's guide for Cliffs of Dover (which you can find here). These pages give an overview of what is essential for operating the Spitfire. If you'd like a hand with any of this, just send me a PM and we can set up a time to meet on TeamSpeak.

Hope to see you in the skies!

15. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Willkommen an der Westfront, Flieger! The Luftwaffe will take care of your " Spitfeuer " soon!
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Feb-20-2019 at 16:24.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

17. Likes Ekko liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_kiwiflieger View Post
    Which German aircraft are you trying to fly? The ones with automatic pitch governors (109 E-4, 110 C-4Late, 110 C-4N among others) require it to be turned off before manual pitch can be used and then retoggled on if so desired. If you see me on Teamspeak I'll be happy to help out getting you up in the air mit der Luftwaffe.

Welcome, by the way

Thanks for your help! Kiwi walked me through everything last night. After well over an hour of mapping and solving video problems I managed to take off in a 109e4. I had been burning through engines in dives...got that solved. Got good enough at the adjustments and landed...my first landing without crashing...and I had a witness!! Going to practice some flying manuevers before I try to shoot at anything. Thanks again Kiwi!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Hi Tenthstream

Nice to make your acquaintance sir .

As you can see from the messages from my ATAG_ Brothers and others (including the Dark Side) that you've already received , you are most welcome here .

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

20. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Welcome Tenthstream. I see you are having a good crack online mate. Great to see.

Onya Kiwi for helping out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    598.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Creep View Post
    Hello and welcome to this fantastic community!

As for key mappings, I would suggest using the "Chuck's Guides" as a reference - you can find them here. If you want to start out flying blue (German), take a look at the PDF for the 109. Starting on page 24, there is a list of all key bindings you need. I would suggest just starting off with those marked in red text as "ESSENTIAL". Be sure to save your key bindings to a file! This is independent from them being saved in-game, but it is very handy if you want to have different key bindings for red or blue, or even for different planes (although that is probably overkill). I have also heard that there is a sync setting in Steam that can overwrite your game settings... yet another reason to save your key bindings to a file! As for TrackIR profiles, I use Karaya's which you can find here. Note that you may need to adjust it depending upon how close you are to your display, where and how your clip is mounted, etc. Play around with it and see what works best for you. I'm glad to hear that you're set up for TeamSpeak. Send me a PM if you want to set up a time to meet up and fly together. I look forward to seeing you in the skies!
    Welcome! This is an awesome community. Stick with it! It will pay dividends in bucket loads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Welcome aboard guys! Darren mc hope you get to feeling better soon! We will get you up and going! Don't give up..you will love it!
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis