Thread: Requesting help with flying the Spitfire

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    117.39 MB

Requesting help with flying the Spitfire

Relative noob here. I've had COD for a while but only recently getting into it in a serious way (offline). I'm working my way through the campaign and have 'graduated' from the Hurricane to the Spitfire and now working out of Manston.

Wow! I had no idea how forgiving the Hurricane is compared to the Spitfire particularly on takeoff. I find I have to be pretty light on the controls and keep the nose from dropping and digging in. As the wheels leave the ground I have to avoid the left wing from dropping. Once up, no probs,.....except my engine control. I am not sure what I'm doing/not doing with the radiator. I have it mapped to a POV on my Thrustmaster throttle console but I consistently end up leaking white vapour from the radiator, the engine ends up squealing and some oil appears on the windshield and the engine eventually dies/seizes. Clearly I'm screwing something up and burning out the engine but I'm not sure what. The radiator doesn't seem to close despite my using the appropriate button.

It would appear to be major overheating but the R (radiator) symbol in the bottom left of the screen won't move down below halfway. It's either at the top or in the middle. I've looked at the Engine Management ref charts but I guess they will only help if I get my controls sorted out.

Mixture too is either showing full up or full down. Perhaps I should map to keys instead???

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Tomoose

2. Likes ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Requesting help with flying the Spitfire

Until you get comfortable in any aircraft, I would recommend the first thing you do on the ground is open the radiator to 100% and leave it there. In the case of the German types, you also need to open the Oil Cooler to 75% as well.

First thing you need to do is make sure you have mapped open and close buttons for the rad on your joystick, or keys on the keyboard.

With most aircraft takeoff is simplified if you focus on keeping the aircraft straight, get the tail up, and then let the aircraft fly itself off the runway. As soon as you are airborne, get your undercarriage up.

Please see the CLIFFS OF DOVER WIKI pages with the pilot manuals for more details:

https://www.theairtacticalassaultgro...flight_manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Tomoose View Post
    Relative noob here. I've had COD for a while but only recently getting into it in a serious way (offline). I'm working my way through the campaign and have 'graduated' from the Hurricane to the Spitfire and now working out of Manston.

Wow! I had no idea how forgiving the Hurricane is compared to the Spitfire particularly on takeoff. I find I have to be pretty light on the controls and keep the nose from dropping and digging in. As the wheels leave the ground I have to avoid the left wing from dropping. Once up, no probs,.....except my engine control. I am not sure what I'm doing/not doing with the radiator. I have it mapped to a POV on my Thrustmaster throttle console but I consistently end up leaking white vapour from the radiator, the engine ends up squealing and some oil appears on the windshield and the engine eventually dies/seizes. Clearly I'm screwing something up and burning out the engine but I'm not sure what. The radiator doesn't seem to close despite my using the appropriate button.

It would appear to be major overheating but the R (radiator) symbol in the bottom left of the screen won't move down below halfway. It's either at the top or in the middle. I've looked at the Engine Management ref charts but I guess they will only help if I get my controls sorted out.

Mixture too is either showing full up or full down. Perhaps I should map to keys instead???

Regards,
    Tomoose

4. Likes ATAG_Knight, SD_MBen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

I wrote a guide for the Sptifire a while back - it covers the basics. Don't use it to become an expert ace but it should get you up and in the air just fine.

Essentially, 100% prop, throttle, radiator, mix for take off. After takeoff, reduce the prop pitch down to 85. That will keep your rpm low enough not to overheat the radiators and you won't leak that white vapour.

The mixture is only 2 position - best to leave alone unless you're in desperate need of extra fuel economy. Radiator can be left at around 80% and that's a good "set and forget" setting. It can go lower at high speeds, alitutudes, and lower engine settings, or for short periods of time.

In the IIa you can run on the deck at full power and 50% radiators even and you won't overheat, just be careful.

6. Likes danperin, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Regards,
    Tomoose
    The radiator open position is all the way up, nothing wrong there.
    About the radiator not moving or always being halfway, is it possible that you mapped the radiator on a joystick axis and now you try to use the keys instead of axis for opening/closing?
    Because if you move the axis, it might put the radiator back to the joystick axis position.
    Make sure you have axis clear if you're trying change incremental positions with keys only.
    Also make sure you are in the right controls to map axis/keys.
    Mixture is something to learn and currently only useable to save fuel.
    The mixture levers acting different on different planes.
    Some don't really have mixture to control so won't work at all, others do normal rich (100% mixture) and lean (0%) only - like some of the raf planes.
    The mixture lever is on these planes mechanically restricted by the throttle itself, because of that you can't just move mixture without having the throttle up.
    To lean on some raf planes you need to throttle up above 50% and depending on altitude have the rpm 2400 or lower.

I'd suggest you to come to TeamSpeak and also online to the ATAG server and ask people if you have troubles, don't worry about crahsing planes there.
    It's easier to help you out since you might have alot more question coming up.

8. Likes ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

the R (radiator) symbol in the bottom left of the screen won't move down below halfway.

Another thing that many people find helpful is changing to digital gauges. If this isn't a change you know how to make, it's well worth finding one of the many guides on setting up and removing info windows in the game.

10. Likes ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

The radiator doesn't seem to close despite my using the appropriate button.
    It would appear to be major overheating but the R (radiator) symbol in the bottom left of the screen won't move down below halfway.
    By default radiator controls came mapped in keys 5 and 6, you can change this at wish.

Options > Controls > Aircraft > Keys

Close radiator - 5
    Open radiator - 6

But, for have control over radiator you need enable (ticked) in Options > Realism*

Complex Engine Management
    Engine Temperature effects

Info Windows "Engine Controls"( left lower of screen) slider with blue symbol in middle position indicates that radiator is partially open - full down is closed, should be on top on take off, or full open.

An lever at left side of pilot seat should move from ~12:30 to 14:30 position - this lever movement is bugged, should be ~10:30 to 13:30.

Can partially close radiator in dogfights for gain speed in dives, but keep an eye in water temperature indicator, other than this leave full open.

* BTW - In IL-2:Great Battles series is common people leave engine management "aids" enabled and go complain that can't control this or that feature.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Feb-24-2019 at 19:09.

12. Likes ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

I am in a similar position - Thanks for the info below

14. Likes ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    92.84 MB

My dear Lord Flashheart

A quick tap on the brakes before rolling should release the parking brake. This is automatically set in the campaign mode and makes the aircraft nose heavy during takeoff.

Woof Woof!

16. Likes No.119_Bruv, ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

As for takeoff procedure Regarding the Spitfire:
    Checklist
    1. open radiator full 100%
    2>switch on mags (both) good to know how to do this but not always necessary in most servers
    3.open fuel cock
    4.close throttle to 13%
    5. boost cut out on
    6.prop pitch to 80%
    7.crank engine (engage starter)
    8.upon start of engine raise throttle to 21%
    9.wait for engine oil to reach temp 19 possible 22 is ok to go)
    10. Check for Chocks on if on then release
    11.wiggle rudder and tap brakes to begin roll
    12.if wind is present and it will be in ATAG and TWC servers look for wind direction
    13.trim rudder all the way right to counter the torque of the Merlin
    14.face plane into wind (yellow marker boards) and drive to the correct area for takeoff
    15.by the time you get to the proper area the temperature will usually have reached the guidelines 40 degrees on oil and 60 on water
    if you wait until temperature is right you will have better performance from your engine at all altitudes
    16.40% throttle and slight right rudder just get her rolling don't wiggle the rudder hold it steady

the merlin will pull you hard left if anything you may have to add a tiny and I mean tiny bit more right rudder
    if at this point you feel you have made to much of an over correction cut the throttle and start again all over!
    assuming you now have the plane in the direction you want and are speeding down the runway (or where ever)
    as the tail comes up off the ground the trim will take control of the yaw on the aircraft at 40 mph you can ease off the right rudder you are holding
    Do not apply lift yet look at the speed gauge and only apply lift at 90 to 100 mph.Caution at 120 knots the tires will blow causing the plane to nose over into the ground so watch your airspeed indicator!
    at that speed at the slightest amount of back pressure to the stick she will climb up into the air very smoothly
    raise gear
    trim rudder to neutral
    go level
    adjust throttle until
    rpm gauge reaches 2750 rpm and you done reduce rad for more speed but climbing out you should leave it at 100%
    Good Luck <S>Fatal
    Last edited by TWC_Fatal_Error; Feb-25-2019 at 09:23.
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

To switch to digital read out do this. Put your mouse over the "analog engine mangment sliders( it is an invisible window. Hold down LEFT ALT and left click the "window". It will now show you the window. Right click to " customize window. Go to where it reads analog. Click on it and the drop-down will show "digital". This will replace the sliders with 0% to 100% read out. This will let you know that you are getting the full readout and more precise. You can also change what info reads in that window..the font size , color etc. You can also grab the window and relocate it or resize it to your liking. Where ever text shows up on your screen that is a different"window". You can repeat this process to all of them.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

19. Likes ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    117.39 MB

Thanks for the feedback gents, much appreciated. I'll have a go with some of these suggestions before jumping online.
    cheers,
    Tomoose

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    117.39 MB

Thanks again. I'm getting there. I was also getting very poor acceleration initially but I think I found the reason...wheel brakes! LOL(...OK, not that funny). There's no indication they are on until I press the appropriate key (e.g. press/hold B key for 100% brakes and release for 0% brakes). My takeoffs are getting smoother and I managed the campaign mission to recce Calais and get back without any radiator issues (mainly because I didn't touch Radiator or Mixture keys when the mission started LOL).
    The port wing was dipping alarmingly when leaving the ground but after checking my joystick settings and re-calibrating that's much less of a problem (I use the Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle combo plus a Saitek throttle console and Thrustmaster pedals).

A couple of items that are more on the Admin side of the game...

1. At the moment the only way to get the mouse cursor out of the way is to bring it up to the top-right of the screen, that way I don't see it when I move my head around (using TrackIR). When displaying the map however I have to use the mouse to zoom in etc which, while flying is a bit of a pain as i always have to 'hide' the mouse again. With IL2 the mouse only appears when you open the map whereas COD the mouse cursor remains on screen regardless. Can I switch this off? Are there shortcuts for the map and zooming etc.

2. "Aircraft out front..." when sitting on the runway. In the offline campaign missions I wait for permission to take off (I also ask for permission via the comms menu) but it seems that if I sit and wait.....and wait....and wait I don't here the "Aircraft out front, you are cleared for takeoff." and yet within seconds of actually taking off I hear it. Is this a known glitch in the game or am I just being impatient.

regards,
    Tomoose

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

The mouse will " time out" and disappear after a certain amount of time. As long as they aren't bumped or " overing over an instrument. In single player..try giving your aircraft to AI and then switch back. I think aircraft in front of you will take off. Someone with more SP experience please chime in ..
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Thanks again. I'm getting there. I was also getting very poor acceleration initially but I think I found the reason...wheel brakes! LOL(...OK, not that funny). There's no indication they are on until I press the appropriate key (e.g. press/hold B key for 100% brakes and release for 0% brakes). My takeoffs are getting smoother and I managed the campaign mission to recce Calais and get back without any radiator issues (mainly because I didn't touch Radiator or Mixture keys when the mission started LOL).
    The port wing was dipping alarmingly when leaving the ground but after checking my joystick settings and re-calibrating that's much less of a problem (I use the Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle combo plus a Saitek throttle console and Thrustmaster pedals).

A couple of items that are more on the Admin side of the game...

1. At the moment the only way to get the mouse cursor out of the way is to bring it up to the top-right of the screen, that way I don't see it when I move my head around (using TrackIR). When displaying the map however I have to use the mouse to zoom in etc which, while flying is a bit of a pain as i always have to 'hide' the mouse again. With IL2 the mouse only appears when you open the map whereas COD the mouse cursor remains on screen regardless. Can I switch this off? Are there shortcuts for the map and zooming etc.

2. "Aircraft out front..." when sitting on the runway. In the offline campaign missions I wait for permission to take off (I also ask for permission via the comms menu) but it seems that if I sit and wait.....and wait....and wait I don't here the "Aircraft out front, you are cleared for takeoff." and yet within seconds of actually taking off I hear it. Is this a known glitch in the game or am I just being impatient.

regards,
    Tomoose
    For the brakes, yeah, you have to tap them because I think they are default at 50% when you spawn in.

For the permission to take off, toggle autopilot on and off first and then you'll get the cleared for take-off message. Maybe you might have to have autopilot on until you actually get the message, and then you can turn it off again and take off on your own. I can't remember the specifics.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

re Spitfire and Hurricane mixture for the early Marks in this sim...

Short version: Don’t touch it! (as you found )

Long version: Enjoy! https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post193803

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    re Spitfire and Hurricane mixture for the early Marks in this sim...

Short version: Don’t touch it! (as you found )

Long version: Enjoy! https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post193803

Short version has always been best for me !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey