Thread: Kanalkampf: Redux in testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Kanalkampf: Redux in testing

Kanalkampf Redux - Now in testing on ATAG Axis vs Allies

This mission is based on the Battle of Britain phase in July 1940 where the Luftwaffe made a number of convoy attacks to close the Channel to English shipping.
    I have done a little testing to make sure the mission is actually working but I will need feedback from a larger number of people to determine if defences are too much or too little around the targets. Ideally they should be such that it is extremely difficult to make a single-aircraft attack, especially at low altitude, but much easier with multiple planes.

I hope you all enjoy it!

ATAG_kiwiflieger

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Re: Kanalkampf: Redux in testing

I took a quick recce flight last night and it looks great seeing such a large convoy, and the same with the barges etc in Boulogne.

Mission building goes way beyond my comprehension so hat's off to you. I think many will appreciate fresh scenario content as we wait for 5.0.

Cheers
    Dazza

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    87.92 MB

Loose the 109E4Late for the 109E4.
    Most pilots wouldve taken off the backplate anyway.
    At least the overhead part of it.
    Too bad there is not an option to do that in the loadout screen.
    i5-4670K;ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO;Samsung 840Pro SSD 512GB;Corsair Vengeance 16GB;EVGA GTX1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB;Noctua NH-U14S;Sharp 43" Monitor;WIN 7 64Bit;TIR-5;VKBGladiatorProMkII
    MFG Crosswinds;CH-ProThrottle/Franken-Potato;EVGA 1000W P2 PSU.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Kiwi - just tried to bomb Beachy head radar site and neither TGIF (low level) or myself (high level) could spot it. TGIF pretty confident he knows where it is (me less so) but he couldnt spot it despite flying around for a while at low level looking.

At the time the chat msg was saying that Rye radar site was destroyed. Maybe this was a mix up and it should have said beachy head destroyed (i didnt check Rye)?

One bit of feedback from newb / relearning bomber pilot - would it be possible to include an airfield tgt for blue bombers to hit? Airfields are good tgts for newb high altitude bomber pilots like me still relearning how to do high alt bombing whereas the radar sites are trickier at high altitude (good for more experienced high alt bombers). Just a suggestion - no probs if you'd prefer not to.

Ezzie

5. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

In addition to what reported by Ezzie I have attempted 3 times to bomb the British convoy and there seems to be something very strange happening. Every bomb I've dropped on the ships instead of exploding bounced on the ships exploding then 200-300 meters away from them. I have attemped also a slow speed approach getting the same result.
    In the case that this is something that can't be solved due to a game bug or similar could be a good idea adding the Bf 110 C-6 to the aircraft set so to have the chance to sunk them anyway.

Apart from these small glitches, surely not depending by your will, the map is beautifull and you have done an excellent work! Keep up the good work!!!
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Apr-28-2019 at 12:34.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

7. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Hackl; the idea with having only the E-4 Late was to move some pilots into flying the E-3 and E-1 but if this proves hugely unpopular I will add the E-4.

Ezzie; the Beachy Head RDF site is one of the smaller Chain Home Low stations without the towers and there are a small number of light flak defences very close to it. It should be hard to spot but not impossible, I might take another look at this.
    I don't have any plans to add airfield targets but I may add area targets such as ports for the Axis.

Moelders; I haven't had any issues skip bombing the ships in the past and as far as I know it should work on all parts of the convoys' course. Maybe try bombing it at different times during the map to see if it's location-related.

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

9. Likes ATAG_Snapper, 9./JG52 Hackl liked this post
    Mountains of Bulgaria, beaches of Spain and Italy, UK when I have to
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

109 backplate....

Whoever designed that had obviously never flown a 109 in combat.

Doesn't matter that my arse is being shot to bits by the guy on my six I can't see, at least my head is alright...
    My not so expensive COD rig:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    ASRock b75m r2 motherboard - new
    Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.4ghz - used
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB - used
    8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 ram - new
    Samsung 250gb 850 EVO ssd - new
    EVGA 500 B power supply - new
    Thrustmaster T16000m stick - new
    EDTracker - used / DELAN CLIP PS3 CAMERA - new
    CH Gameport Pro Pedals - used

11. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_kiwiflieger View Post
    Maybe try bombing it at different times during the map to see if it's location-related.
    Will do so!
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Supporting Member 9./JG52 gr00ve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    259.12 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_kiwiflieger View Post

Hackl; the idea with having only the E-4 Late was to move some pilots into flying the E-3 and E-1 but if this proves hugely unpopular I will add the E-4.
    TBH. i don't see any point in forcing players to fly specific plane models when numbers on server are pretty low. It does opposite thing, numbers getting even lower.
    "Karaya Eins"

My YouTube Channel
    "The secret of good teamwork is to work as a team" - 9./JG52 Mindle, 2019
    Warthog HOTAS - MFG Crosswind - Saitek Throttle Quadrant - TrackIR 5 - i7 4770K - Asrock Z87 Killer - Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming - Corsair 16 GB - Kingston SSD 120 GB - Samsung SSD 240GB - 3 TB storage - Razer Megalodon

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 gr00ve View Post
    TBH. i don't see any point in forcing players to fly specific plane models when numbers on server are pretty low. It does opposite thing, numbers getting even lower.
    I could be totally wrong but this may have to do with historical accuracy as at the time of this campaign the E4’s were still dispatched in very limited numbers, while most types in use then were E1’s and E3’s?
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

If we left it up to some people there be nothing but E4Ns

Kanalkamph should just be E1/3s anyway.

16. Likes No.119_Bruv liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post

Kanalkamph should just be E1/3s anyway.
    Maybe, I don't know much about BoB history. However the player numbers point still stands. I reckon quite a few people can fly E4 on auto prop and don't even try E1/3 cause these are manual and are a pain in the arse to learn to fly without burning the engine 30 seconds into combat. Even though E3 performs slightly better than E4 if you work the pitch correctly.

18. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Same can be said for Hurri/Spit ratios typically online. No matter, if I see an E1 in the hangar I'm a very happy camper.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

20. Likes 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox View Post
    Maybe, I don't know much about BoB history. However the player numbers point still stands. I reckon quite a few people can fly E4 on auto prop and don't even try E1/3 cause these are manual and are a pain in the arse to learn to fly without burning the engine 30 seconds into combat. Even though E3 performs slightly better than E4 if you work the pitch correctly.
    the only 'gripe' with the e3 is the cannon ammo being short of its more effective rounds that the e4 has. Otherwise they are both extremely capable planes (the E1 being the most nimble of them all)... All you need is a few sorties to figure out the prop pitch. So if you enjoy flying the sim you will find pleasure in spending time getting to know the intricacies of each aircraft.

I feel the same way with the Spitfire mkI (100 oct). you have to understand the limitations and the nuance of the 2-pitch. It can be the most rewarding plane to fly on the RAF when you get it right. I was sad when they added the mkIa(100) to the frontline airfields instead of it being only available at Le Havre on the French map (i forget the name).

I dont buy the whole player numbers being based on plane selection. We should be playing on maps based on a historical scenario, enjoy the different types of match-ups, not just, 'come and fly the best available plane in the game' ever map.

22. Likes No.119_Bruv, Silent135, Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

In my little opinion should be much more better asking ourselves why the servers have passed from full to empty...and few words to the wise...

My PC specs

24. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

the only 'gripe' with the e3 is the cannon ammo being short of its more effective rounds that the e4 has. Otherwise they are both extremely capable planes (the E1 being the most nimble of them all)... All you need is a few sorties to figure out the prop pitch. So if you enjoy flying the sim you will find pleasure in spending time getting to know the intricacies of each aircraft.

I feel the same way with the Spitfire mkI (100 oct). you have to understand the limitations and the nuance of the 2-pitch. It can be the most rewarding plane to fly on the RAF when you get it right. I was sad when they added the mkIa(100) to the frontline airfields instead of it being only available at Le Havre on the French map (i forget the name).

I dont buy the whole player numbers being based on plane selection. We should be playing on maps based on a historical scenario, enjoy the different types of match-ups, not just, 'come and fly the best available plane in the game' ever map.
    Those older models are extremely rewarding, I completely agree - I started flying 109s with E1 of all things (big thx to Vlerkies who took my wing numerous times and showed me the ropes!). However it takes quite a bit more than a few sorties to figure out prop pitch control, especially for newer pilots (took me about a hundred hours to start being really confident as I recall, that's after a hundred in Spits and Hurrys).

I maybe catching at straws here really, I don't know - and "easier" planes might not be the answer. But the player numbers are horrifyingly low and it worries me. More often than not I find myself playing something else when I see them during the time slots I used to play CloD - and I dearly love this sim and still think that multiplayer wise it's head and shoulder above say BoX even after all the improvements the latter had in the years...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have a feeling that the low numbers have to do with the fact that the scoring system is down. As we all know ATAG used to track players stats throughout the month. With that feature down currently, players have far less incentive to fly. Im not saying that Cliffs is about kill count, but it is a game, and people enjoy seeing how well they are doing in respect to everyone else.

The 'rearm/refuel' feature is also inactive at the moment which takes out the challenge of trying to keep your plane 'alive' as long as possible. This also ties into the stats system.

These features are being repaired and I'm sure we will see them again at some point.

So taking that into account along with the fact that we have had the same core game for over 5-6 years, it is not hard to see why the numbers have thinned out over the last year. The players want something new... And TFS has this on the forefront of our minds. We cannot wait to see the numbers come back once our work is complete.

The list of fixes and improvements is incredible and I personally believe, as a fan of this sim, that the wait will be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Sorry Fox, I only had bad habits, a few of them were effective, and with a good wingy like yourself, more so.

I've been out of the loop for a year or so with little to no gaming, especially online (real life).
    Did a new build and busy getting everything setup again for all my sims. I generally support all decent flight sims whether I fly them or not. I have almost all the DCS modules but really only spend/spent worthwhile time on a handful of them. BOS the same thing.

Sad to see the numbers down here, this has always been my favorite sim. Something that Clod has which keeps me intrigued is missing in BOS, can't put my finger on it, but I suppose my whole 6 hours of BOS doesn't really give me much room to comment on that. Still havent found a full real server with any players in BOS, no complex engine management seems to be the order of the day.

Although not a stat hound myself I understand that may be part of it or a contributing factor for sure, thats important for some folks.
    Also a year or so ago there was a lot of aggro going on between different groups and ATAG and Team Fusion. I think maybe that was more of an issue.

On a more personal note I also think some of the maps in circulation at the time were just to big and complex for most days of flying. Geared for well populated servers they work, on sparse days/evenings it left a lot of folks guessing, especially the noobs.
    Not everyone has 3 or 4 hours.
    Anyway, just going from memory and no disrespect to mission builders or anyone else.
    My Clod is on my new machine, just need to map my controllers and I am ready to go.

Really looking forward to the updates, and hopefully a renewed interest by many for the sim. Still the best WW2 one out there imho.
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Apr-30-2019 at 13:40.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Supporting Member 9./JG52 gr00ve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    259.12 MB

I was sad when they added the mkIa(100) to the frontline airfields instead of it being only available at Le Havre on the French map (i forget the name).
    Thats fall rott. We've been told that this will be fixed to original state after we found out about it. Sadly its been over a year since promise...

I have a feeling that the low numbers have to do with the fact that the scoring system is down. As we all know ATAG used to track players stats throughout the month. With that feature down currently, players have far less incentive to fly. Im not saying that Cliffs is about kill count, but it is a game, and people enjoy seeing how well they are doing in respect to everyone else.

The 'rearm/refuel' feature is also inactive at the moment which takes out the challenge of trying to keep your plane 'alive' as long as possible. This also ties into the stats system.
    i agree with you. RR was great immersive feature. Stats are quite important for a game such as Clod....or any other multiplayer game. Any ATAG guys can give us ETA when we can get that back? Its been 1.5 years since stats and RR are down.
    "Karaya Eins"

My YouTube Channel
    "The secret of good teamwork is to work as a team" - 9./JG52 Mindle, 2019
    Warthog HOTAS - MFG Crosswind - Saitek Throttle Quadrant - TrackIR 5 - i7 4770K - Asrock Z87 Killer - Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming - Corsair 16 GB - Kingston SSD 120 GB - Samsung SSD 240GB - 3 TB storage - Razer Megalodon

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 gr00ve View Post
    Any ATAG guys can give us ETA when we can get that back? Its been 1.5 years since stats and RR are down.
    About two weeks

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Well, if so should be interesting to know why in the game we have an aircraft, namely the Beaufighter ( Lovely re-named by me the " Beau-foo-fighter " ), that saw the first actions\kills only in November\December of 1940 and was mainly used as a night fighter ( to not say only! ) against LW medium bombers that is, instead, currently used indiscriminately and out of its original role just to have some " arcade " fun by the 99,9% of the players who flies it actually. ( ...and be clear everyone is free to fly the aircraft that he likes more and in the way he prefers, my " concerns " are only " against " the aircraft actual performances )

This aircraft should be present only in very late BOB night missions or in the future African theater of operations. ( ...but with a little better turn rate because actually is not yet capable of turning around a tennis ball! )

The " Beau-foo-fighter " is actually pertinent to the actual state of IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz pretty much like a banana tree in Antarctica!
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; May-07-2019 at 22:59.

My PC specs