Thread: Aircraft Finishes

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Aircraft Finishes

Hello chaps!

Just thought I would try and get a little chat going on people's thoughts and opinions on the current style of aircraft finishes in sim.

One thing that has always got me about a lot of sims with WWII aircraft in them, is the level of glossiness. Looking at a lot of aircraft that have been maintained post-war, they do have this gloss (perhaps better for visibility/safety in the civil flying world)

However, the remaining ex-WWII machines and photos of all those involved during conflict, they had an uncanny flatness about them (my guess is that, as mentioned above, shiny gloss paint gets you seen a whole lot more haha)
    I know at one stage the aircraft were more matte in Cliffs, but tis all a journey and frankly loving all the improvement by TFS, three cheers for the lads!!!

But I would love to see this feature re-introduced, as it is one small feature that really puts you "back in the day."
    So I thought I would get a chat going and see what everyone's opinions are and if anyone is on a similar page!

spitfirevbbg_10.jpg

20190302112611_1.jpg

As an edit, looking at reference photos there was definitely a shine on many of them, but it was reflected in a much more specific spot, and as if from a much rougher surface (in lighting terms).

Cheers,
    TCP
    Last edited by ATAG_TCP; Mar-01-2019 at 20:35.

2. Likes danperin, Little Bill liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    94.18 MB

Re: Aircraft Finishes

Hello.
    Even paintjobs done in the middle of nowhere like in russia were glossy. Just search for Focke wulf 190 jg54. There is a famous color picture of green wurgers parked together. They re really shinning.
    I think the matt effect is something more related to modelbuilders as the "used" effect can be better replicated.

4. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Hi Badat!

I see what you mean, there is definitely a shine to her. It does look a little more fine tuned, for lack of better phrasing. Like it is in a very specific area of the metal, and the rest is still rather matte looking.
    It is still a little different from a gloss finish I think?

But also the finishes on the planes themselves seem to vary greatly depending on time period. Specifically in the Battle of Britain era, especially the British planes had a very flat finish to them.

41E6C02500000578-0-image-a-26_1498815859041.jpg

This one had obviously been doused with some water haha, where the sun is hitting the fuselage it is a very diffused reflection.

With kit modlers the finish can be changed depending on what paint or clear coat they use, so not all kits are flat in paint scheme, it really is up to the modler.

Here are a few good photos of a Hurricane with the traditional WWII finish:
    hurricane.jpgHawker_Hurricane_R4118_arrives_RIAT_Fairford_10thJuly2014_arp.jpg

One other one from the 1969 movie Battle of Britain. They did use original aircraft for the filming of the flying scenes, including the HE 111s.

battleofbritain17.jpg

I do note that this one is a low res image, but if you take a look at the exhaust marks on the side of the fuselage it is actually far more reflective than the rest of the fuselage.

Meanwhile this is a photo of a post-war maintained Hurricane (due to the number of exhaust pipes clearly not sporting a Merlin) Note the sheer amount of gloss on the surface, not found in any photos from the WWII period (Also noting that the gloss finishes in game are not this intense haha!)
    maxresdefault.jpg

Finally here is a close up of the HE111s during filming also. Noting the diffused light where the sun is hitting just above the cockpit.

P130_two_HE-111s_in_flight.jpg

Best regards,
    TCP
    Last edited by ATAG_TCP; Mar-11-2019 at 23:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.28 MB

Luftwaffe pilots were very pleased with Mustang's silver finish.

7. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post