Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game crashes sometimes when spawning

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Game crashes sometimes when spawning

G'day all,
    I am experiencing this strange problem every 4-5 times I respawn my plane i.e. when I restart in the air (in single mode) or at an airfield (in multiplayer mode).
    Below the error messages I get from both the Steam log file (with attached culprit jpeg from the cache folder), as well as the error log from the windows event viewer log.
    Again this is not systematic. It happens every 4-5 times only.
    I cannot link it to any other thing I or my PC may be doing.
    Tried to reinstall etc, but it keeps coming back.
    I can live with it but it is annoying, first not to know why this happens, but also when i multiplayer mode, it means I needs to restart the game which is frustrating.
    Any help / advice is welcome.
    Cheers-Noofy

-4301538814842594715.jpg
    error from steam log.txt
    Error from windows event viewer log.txt

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Re: Game crashes sometimes when spawning

Hi Noofy and welcome.
    First thing is whenever u post about crashing issues to include all your system specs including the Operating system so we can see if there are any potential bottlenecks there.
    Are u new to CloD or have u had the game for a while ? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if u have deleted the cache before running the latest patched updates ?
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

3. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Hi Torian,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry about not posting system specs. You are absolutely right. Here they are:

PC: Lenovo 10NK000TEX
    CPU: i7-7700 @3.60GHz
    RAM: 16.0 GB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Did I miss any other info that may be needed?

I am relatively new to CLoD. Since last fall more or less. I am in my mid 500 flying hours so far, so beginner still learning.

And yes, I did clear the cache.

By the way the crash happened again a few minutes ago while on SP mission. Here is the sequence of error messages logged by windows with time stamps.

I am really puzzled as I do not understand what may cause this.

Error Report Single Player.txt

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

And here are the "wer" reports referenced in the crash reports. I dug them out of the report archives. Despite their .wer extensions they are text files and can be opened with Notepad.

WER reports.zip

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Thx for posting ur system specs. Your rig should be able to run CloD easily. Is your Hard drive an SSD ? and if so is there plenty of space left on it to allow Windows to "move" ? Rule of thumb is to never have your HDD more than 85% used.
    Typically, crashes on an otherwise good rig are caused by conflicts with another program. Do u run any virtual machine programs ? any other resource hungry programs ? Do u play any other games that crash too ? Some printer software has even caused issues for some.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

The C drive is an SSD (~50% filled).

CLoD is installed on the D drive though (not SSD) with plenty capacity.

Looked around the forum(s) before posting, and tried many tips to no avail.

Again, what puzzles me is the occasional occurence. Cannot link it to any particular program or process that may be running in parallel - no particular pattern discovered. I thought that maybe the hints in the error messages could enlighten someone who would know how to read them and help me narrow the search...

I can live with it as it does not occur systematically, but when it happens in the middle of a battle (i.e. when re-spawning after being shot down, 1 out of 4-5 times) it gets frustrating both to me and potentially to the other players who may believe that I have "quit in rage" for having been shot...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Still happening.

Frustrating...

This time I was in a 110 (a plane I do not usually fly - to eliminate the possibility of a single plane/sklin doing this).

Several minutes after takeoff, all fine, I decided to look at an external application, so I pressed ALT+TAB which pushed CLOD in the background (I could still hear the engines running), then a few seconds later when repressing ALT+TAB to reselect CLOD the sound stopped, the image froze, and after a few seconds the game crashed.

Usually the crash happens when re-entering the cockpit, either for a respawn, or when leaving and reentering the program as per above. Sometimes also when moving switching between external and internal view, although it seems less often (but I may be wrong on that one).

Again I am posting the new log files herebelow in case someone knows how to read them.

For information, this happens likewise whether in Multiplayer or in Singleplayer mode (so not related to a server issue).

Created a new clean account (on same machine) with no other apps than Steam, CLOD, TrackIR, Teamspeak, and notifyer, and it still crashed.

Updated Windows, NVIDIA drivers, attempted to reinstall direct x, all to no avail.

Noofy error logs 201904141500.zip

Heeeeeelp !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Have you played around with your video resolution settings? The reason I ask is because I have had a similar problem, the game will either lock up while entering a mission, or crash me back to desktop while in a mission. This happens mostly in SP, I don't seem to have the problem in MP. I found a sweet spot in my settings that reduced the crashes significantly. My set up is an i5 machine with 12 Gb of RAM and a GeForce 1080 card, my monitor is a 4K TV. I found that setting everything to 1920X1080 worked the best for me. If I go below this resolution I get more crashes. I hope this is not your problem as the lower res makes contract spotting better.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Yes I tried reducing the res but continued to have crashes, so back to 1920x1080 (might as well enjoy the quality of the graphics).
    Tried to reduce the quality of individual items too (clouds, grass, buildings, forests, etc.) without any noticeable change as to the frequency of the crashes.
    It is not constant. Happens once every 4-5 "screen changes" (can't find a better word).
    I should have enough power (i7, 16GB RAM, GTX1050, SSD 50% full).
    Puzzling... puzzling...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

There was a new release of my NVIDIA GTX 1050ti driver on 11-Apr-19.
    Re-installed the new driver last night as suggested to me by ATAG_Torian on TeamSpeak.
    Will test it for a couple of days and report here if there was any improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

I'm assuming Steam is installed on the ssd ? Why don't u have CloD installed on the same ssd as Steam ?
    Personally if I was u I would do a clean instal of CloD into the default Steam directory on the ssd (it's only 8GB). I think u are asking for trouble if u don't especially as ur D drive is not an ssd. Defeats the purpose of having an ssd.
    And what if your non-ssd D drive is going bad ?
    System specs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

I guess it has to do with the obsession that when SSD's exceed 80-90% capacity they tend to lose performance, plus they have a more limited "quota" than HDD...
    So I usually dedicate the SSD to the OS and use the HDD for everything else.
    But you are right, it could be the cause.
    In order not to mix all solutions, I'll first test it for a day or two after I re-installed the NVIDIA drivers.
    If it works that would have been the problem.
    If not I'll reinstall CLOD from scratch on the SSD...

14. Likes ATAG_Torian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Following last update of NVIDIA drivers two days ago, I ran CLOD for a few hours yesterday in SP mode, as well as on DD and ATAG servers.
    Many respawns (thanks to Moose kills...) and no crash so far.
    I’ll monitor for a few more days before declaring it solved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

If it resurfaces, change your ingame settings from full screen mode to pseudo and turn your steam and Teamspeak overlays off.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

17. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Sp00k View Post
    If it resurfaces, change your ingame settings from full screen mode to pseudo and turn your steam and Teamspeak overlays off.
    Already am in pseudo mode, and have all overlays off.
    I am using TSnotifier to show who's on comms during flights. Not sure if this is related to the crashes but many people seems to be using it so why not me?
    Also Reshade v3.2.1 but I do not think this is related to the crashes as I had the crashes before installing Reshade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Noofy View Post
    Following last update of NVIDIA drivers two days ago, I ran CLOD for a few hours yesterday in SP mode, as well as on DD and ATAG servers.
    Many respawns (thanks to Moose kills...) and no crash so far.
    I’ll monitor for a few more days before declaring it solved.
    OK, problem NOT solved.
    Tonight I'll uninstall CLOD and reinstall it on SSD (not on HDD as is now), i.e. on the same drive as Steam.
    To be followed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

I would bin TS notifier if it were me. Horses for courses and I know its useful, but Clod is a tempermental b@tch.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Sp00k View Post
    I would bin TS notifier if it were me. Horses for courses and I know its useful, but Clod is a tempermental b@tch.
    I would have thought the same if TS notifier did not work with many others without a problem.
    If I were the only one, then the issue would be from something different that I am doing, or have installed on my PC.
    I will haunt it until I find it.
    Now I have re-installed CLOD from scratch. Will start running it without TSN. Then I shall reinstall TSN, and then we'll know...

22. Likes SIA_Sp00k, ATAG_Torian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Unfortunately a fresh reinstall of CLOD on the same SSD as Steam did not do the trick.
    Still crashing albeit much less frequently. Perhaps when changing from one type of plane to another during the spawn?
    Puzzled...
    Oh yes, I reused my old .ini files. Not keen to re-do all mappings etc anew...

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Unfortunately a fresh reinstall of CLOD on the same SSD as Steam did not do the trick.
    Still crashing albeit much less frequently. Perhaps when changing from one type of plane to another during the spawn?
    Puzzled...
    Oh yes, I reused my old .ini files. Not keen to re-do all mappings etc anew...
    The only thing I can think of here, is to rename your user.ini file, it holds your custom gunbelt/ammo loadouts per ac type.
    Maybe some value in there is too large, or small ...
    So, fly around using the defaults for ammo loadout see if it improves it all.

25. Likes ATAG_Torian, ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DD_FT View Post
    The only thing I can think of here, is to rename your user.ini file, it holds your custom gunbelt/ammo loadouts per ac type.
    Maybe some value in there is too large, or small ...
    So, fly around using the defaults for ammo loadout see if it improves it all.
    Good idea.
    There have been some changes to ammo types, particularly German ammo, in a couple of updates and if u are using old saved user.ini's there is a slim chance it might be messing with something.
    Did u try without TS notifier ?
    Are u overclocking your cpu or video card ?
    Is your video card ok ? ie do u run anything like gpuz and check that fans and temps are ok ? Have u physically checked inside your pc to see that dust isn't clogging your cpu and video card heatsinks and fans and that they are running freely and clear ?
    Have u turned "epilepsy filter" and "ssao" off ?
    System specs:

27. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torian View Post
    Good idea.
    There have been some changes to ammo types, particularly German ammo, in a couple of updates and if u are using old saved user.ini's there is a slim chance it might be messing with something.
    Did u try without TS notifier ?
    Are u overclocking your cpu or video card ?
    Is your video card ok ? ie do u run anything like gpuz and check that fans and temps are ok ? Have u physically checked inside your pc to see that dust isn't clogging your cpu and video card heatsinks and fans and that they are running freely and clear ?
    Have u turned "epilepsy filter" and "ssao" off ?

I started playing after these updates, so cannot possibly have old .ini files from before the updates.
    The crashs also happen with the G50 (i.e. no "german" ammo involved - I assume you meant BF109 etc.).
    I tried without TS notifier but not for long as I find it rather useful, and if it works with others there is no à priori reason why it should not work for me.
    I don’t know how to overclock CPU nor GPU, so if it is done it would be without me being aware of it - how can I check and confirm this?
    Videocard should be OK - it is a couple of months old, and I checked for dust etc.
    I ran a temperature monitoring software which reported OK temps at all times (can’t remember the name of the SW).
    All filter turned off in CLOD (except VSYNC), and overlays unchecked from the Steam menu (right click CLOD, properties, unchecked all overlays I could find).
    Overwolf not installed.
    GeForce Experience (or whatever the NVIDIA overlay is called) is not installed.

EDIT: Just in case it can shed some light on someone who knows how to read it, here is my user.ini file (re-labeled user.ini.txt for upload convenience)
    user.ini.txt
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Apr-19-2019 at 07:03.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

and overlays unchecked from the Steam menu (right click CLOD, properties, unchecked all overlays I could find).
    user.ini.txt
    Did u also check the steam global settings re overlays? Long shot again but i think i have seen the glbal settings have the overlays checked when cod doesnt which might have caused my probs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    Did u also check the steam global settings re overlays? Long shot again but i think i have seen the glbal settings have the overlays checked when cod doesnt which might have caused my probs.
    Steam Overlays are all unchecked...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

What kind of flight controller software are you using? If Thrustmaster Target is in play, I may have a trick or two for you.

You can avoid repeat questions by posting your computer specs in your signature line in the forum...
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

(...)
    EDIT: Just in case it can shed some light on someone who knows how to read it, here is my user.ini file (re-labeled user.ini.txt for upload convenience)
    user.ini.txt
    Used your user.ini file to spawn in different aircraft. No active flying done, just spawning in, looking around, change a/c, change sides - a lot of times, >20 or so, and no crashes. So, looks like this one can be excluded as cause.

I'd try it without that TS Notifier running, just to exclude it as well - CloD can be 'special' when using overlays ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    What kind of flight controller software are you using? If Thrustmaster Target is in play, I may have a trick or two for you.

You can avoid repeat questions by posting your computer specs in your signature line in the forum...
    No FC software used. Just plug the T16000M and HOTAS Throttle and use the default drivers.
    My PC specs are posted in the early posts of this thread, but you are correct, I’ll add those to my signature. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

I'd try it without that TS Notifier running, just to exclude it as well - CloD can be 'special' when using overlays ...
    Yes, but why just me?
    Must be something else. Perhaps interfering with TSN I concede, but it is that something else that I’d like to determine because I quite like TSN. At least I know who I am talking with. I admit this may be less important when you fly in regular groups (like in squads), but I am a freelancer and meet a lot of people, so for me it is important.
    Thanks

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Yes, but why just me?
    Must be something else. Perhaps interfering with TSN I concede, but it is that something else that I’d like to determine because I quite like TSN. At least I know who I am talking with. I admit this may be less important when you fly in regular groups (like in squads), but I am a freelancer and meet a lot of people, so for me it is important.
    Thanks
    It's just to exclude it from the list. What if it has a glitch in its installation that makes CloD unstable?
    Just run it without it for a while, as a test. I am not asking you to stop using it all together.

But, if it's not on your list of suspects, then it's not useful to try.

What other software/utilities have you got running?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

It's just to exclude it from the list. What if it has a glitch in its installation that makes CloD unstable?
    Just run it without it for a while, as a test. I am not asking you to stop using it all together.

But, if it's not on your list of suspects, then it's not useful to try.

What other software/utilities have you got running?
    I will disable TSN for a while just to make sure.
    Otherwise nothing but the usual suspects: Outlook, Dropbox, Googledrive, Onenote, a utility that shows the bandwidth used, and Reshade 3.1.2 (but this one can be ruled out as I already had the crashes before installing it). And yes, the CLOD, Steam, TS, TSN, etc are all whitelisted in my Kasperspy antivirus.

Further, I have created a clean user account, with nothing but Steam, CLOD, TS, TSN installed and running, but still had crashes.

So it could be hardware related. But in this case, it should not run at all, not just crash intermittently. I mean I can spend hours without a crash, then 2-3 crashes in a row (usually when "abruptly" changing screens like respawning or changing airfields, but occasionally while flying without any apparent reason - happened once today on DD server, and followed or was followed can’t remember by very low FPS rate, i.e. image acting "stroboscopiscally"). Quite a word, lol.

Last month(s) the problem I had was different. Occasionally CLOD would be thrown in the background and I would find myself in my desktop, but by clicking ALT+TAB I could get back into the game. Quite disturbing while in a dogfight.

On someone’s suggestion (Mölders I think) I changed my video settings from full screen mode to pseudo mode. The other problem disappeared, but was replaced by this one.

And yes, I did try lower resolution settings, but issue remained.

Last night I reinstalled CLOD, TS, and TNS from scratch, no luck.

Two days ago I re-installed NVIDIA drivers (there was an update dated 11-Apr-2019), without GeForce Experience overlay. Still no luck.

And yes, Windows 10 is up to date.

Without further suggestions, I can still resolve to (1) reinstall Windows 10, or (2) get a dedicate gaming PC.

(1) is painful time wise, (2) is painful financial wise, so if I can avoid, I prefer...
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Apr-19-2019 at 14:30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast