Thread: Can/will bomb craters ever impact flight operations in mulitiplayer?

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Can/will bomb craters ever impact flight operations in mulitiplayer?

Just wondering if its already modelled and I haven't seen it or not but do bombs dropped on runways actually crater the runways and make them unusable? If not, how hard is something like that to implement? Seems like it would lend more importance to targeting runways and add some tactical elements to the gameplay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Re: Can/will bomb craters ever impact flight operations in mulitiplayer?

Yes SJD they do crater the runway and need to be avoided or they will put a damper on your day......
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

On TWC's campaign server, TWC_Fatal is been able to modify the bomb craters so that bombs dropped by planes now leave persistent craters that will destroy your plane if taxied through/landed on.

A very nice improvment I must say! Make accurate bombing even more important than just reducing the health percentage of an airfield. you can deny planes access to the field all together now

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.07 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    On TWC's campaign server, TWC_Fatal is been able to modify the bomb craters so that bombs dropped by planes now leave persistent craters that will destroy your plane if taxied through/landed on.

A very nice improvment I must say! Make accurate bombing even more important than just reducing the health percentage of an airfield. you can deny planes access to the field all together now
    Is this something we will introduce to other servers like ATAG as well

5. Likes Biggs liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kling View Post
    Is this something we will introduce to other servers like ATAG as well
    I fly mostly on ATAG so maybe that's why I haven't really noticed - are they not implemented there? I'm guessing its the mission builder who would have to do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.07 MB

Could be
    A while since I flew on ATAG... Maybe someone can confirm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

Handling airport bombing
    * most credit/script idea for airport bombing & destruction goes to Reddog/Storm of War
    * TWC_Flug only modified the old code to give us what we wanted for Our Server
    * We give credit (points) for any bomb that hits within the radius of an airfield.
    * Also, these bomb hits are marked with a plume of smoke and additionally a bomb crater is added that is dangerous/will kill aircraft taxiing on the ground (not every crater has a column of smoke so sneaky holes exist!)
    * The 3d position of these craters is marked and distinguished as follows
    * Craters are different sizes, depending on tonnage of bomb dropped. Also, craters will be repaired, taking a shorter time for smaller craters & a longer time for bigger craters
    * Additionally, the more craters dropped on an airport the longer it will take to get to the next crater & repair it.
    * Also, if a threshold of tonnage (counted as points, which are proportional to damage done) is reached, the airport is put out of commission by severely cratering it Causing no memory hit in the process(or a very limited one)
    * Airports can still be landed on by the cautious pilot but rearm and reload is switched off as is spawn capability.

So yes this can be done and implemented on any server with .cs code written for it.
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Fatal_Error View Post
    Handling airport bombing
    * most credit/script idea for airport bombing & destruction goes to Reddog/Storm of War
    * TWC_Flug only modified the old code to give us what we wanted for Our Server
    * We give credit (points) for any bomb that hits within the radius of an airfield.
    * Also, these bomb hits are marked with a plume of smoke and additionally a bomb crater is added that is dangerous/will kill aircraft taxiing on the ground (not every crater has a column of smoke so sneaky holes exist!)
    * The 3d position of these craters is marked and distinguished as follows
    * Craters are different sizes, depending on tonnage of bomb dropped. Also, craters will be repaired, taking a shorter time for smaller craters & a longer time for bigger craters
    * Additionally, the more craters dropped on an airport the longer it will take to get to the next crater & repair it.
    * Also, if a threshold of tonnage (counted as points, which are proportional to damage done) is reached, the airport is put out of commission by severely cratering it Causing no memory hit in the process(or a very limited one)
    * Airports can still be landed on by the cautious pilot but rearm and reload is switched off as is spawn capability.

So yes this can be done and implemented on any server with .cs code written for it.
    This is AWESOME - wish this was part of the game as it seems integral!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SamJoDo View Post
    This is AWESOME - wish this was part of the game as it seems integral!

As a fellow bomber , I think this could be a fun change ill be more conscious of it now . I usually like to fly right down a runway and bomb it because it looks cool , but now it might pay off a little more . flack is usually more dangerous down low but high Altitude work has hazards like more visibility on the way to the target . Thanks for giving it a try it should make it more interesting .

TGIF