Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Its Going......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

How Its Going......

Hello Again

1st off big thankyou for the warm welcome in the welcome forum. Just thought i would let you know how this noob is getting on .

I started off using an old logitec 3d pro Joystick ive had for ages .Really not been happy with it for clod just too dam twitchy . After reading posts on here managed to bag a ms sidewinder force feedback 2 on ebay for £10:90 + postage lol. (dont think the guy knew what he was selling )

Anyway it turned up yesterday and works perfectly and wow what a differnce ,can see why everyone raves about them now.

Been flying most nights and had a few goes online. comfortably flying the Hurri now although shooting at things is another story lol. Im ok at taking Ai bombers out now in single player but 109s is a differnet story . But i know its going to take practice.

Been watching loads of stuff on youtube on tactics ect even some vids of you guys online and seeing how you use the hurri in combat.

over all realy enjoying the sim and slowly getting to grips with combat and the hard lessons it intails.

Managed to get shot down by a enemy ship the other night online lol. The sim really is unforgiving but i like that . and it brings home how difficult ww2 aireal combat was and i respect those guys more than ever.

Anyway will keep chipping away.

Over and out for now

Zappay

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: How Its Going......

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself... the right tools and perserverance make a world of difference.

Recommend you think about going online on Teamspeak and chatting with the guys who are there and getting a wingman.

Quote Originally Posted by zappay View Post
    Hello Again

1st off big thankyou for the warm welcome in the welcome forum. Just thought i would let you know how this noob is getting on .

I started off using an old logitec 3d pro Joystick ive had for ages .Really not been happy with it for clod just too dam twitchy . After reading posts on here managed to bag a ms sidewinder force feedback 2 on ebay for £10:90 + postage lol. (dont think the guy knew what he was selling )

Anyway it turned up yesterday and works perfectly and wow what a differnce ,can see why everyone raves about them now.

Been flying most nights and had a few goes online. comfortably flying the Hurri now although shooting at things is another story lol. Im ok at taking Ai bombers out now in single player but 109s is a differnet story . But i know its going to take practice.

Been watching loads of stuff on youtube on tactics ect even some vids of you guys online and seeing how you use the hurri in combat.

over all realy enjoying the sim and slowly getting to grips with combat and the hard lessons it intails.

Managed to get shot down by a enemy ship the other night online lol. The sim really is unforgiving but i like that . and it brings home how difficult ww2 aireal combat was and i respect those guys more than ever.

Anyway will keep chipping away.

Over and out for now

Zappay

3. Likes ATAG_Highseas, 9./JG52 Reinhart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

comfortably flying the Hurri now although shooting at things is another story lol.
    Hurricane rocks!

bit short of full on power... but a great plane none the less!

im pretty much always in a Hurricane

or a moth...

rubbish in both

and having a blast !!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

5. Likes farley, DerDa, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

Thanks

1 thing i noticed with the hurri. is it normal for the artificial horizon to loose the plot once you have been inverted . It does come back eventurly . presume this is just normal.

I know the directional giro goes out and thats the way it was in real life.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Thanks

1 thing i noticed with the hurri. is it normal for the artificial horizon to loose the plot once you have been inverted . It does come back eventurly . presume this is just normal.

I know the directional giro goes out and thats the way it was in real life.

Cheers
    I dont look at it that often... but yeah.. it does go a bit nutso sometimes...

had a few close calls on some of the French maps with low cloud while tryinmg to rely on that.

how you finding it other than that?

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    I dont look at it that often... but yeah.. it does go a bit nutso sometimes...

had a few close calls on some of the French maps with low cloud while tryinmg to rely on that.

how you finding it other than that?

I love it. easy to fly . A little under powered at times but thats already getting me thinking more about how i approach a combat situation rather than just charging in . high and fast ,energy and all that. easier said than done to learn.
    Everything happens so fast some times . but all part off the curve .
    Had it in a few flat spins starting out but not so much now .

Would like to thank Air Marshall Hugh Dowding for pushing for more protection for his men with bullet proof windscreens. took a shot to the screen yesterday during a bomber intercept over london . couldnt see shit but it saved my bacon and landed it back at base safe and sound

Chucks guide has been most helpfull too . setting the gun convergence to 175 seems to of helped alot .

Think your gunna have a hard time getting me out of it to learn the spit at the moment. Im quite partial to the hurri now. And it was the real hero of the battle of britian after all .
    Will be learning the Blenim next.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Glad you are enjoying the Hurricane zappay. Have a go with the FB model and bombs that's good fun.

The Blenheim is nice to fly but even with the increased bomb load it takes a few to take out targets. Great fun doing low level sorties in the Blenheim and a good way to practice your navigational skills. For medium and high level bombing you will need to use the bomb sight in the bomb aimers position. That is a whole new 'ballgame' as they say. Good practice ready for the Wellington though.

"A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

10. Likes ATAG_Laser, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Vampire View Post
    Glad you are enjoying the Hurricane zappay. Have a go with the FB model and bombs that's good fun.

The Blenheim is nice to fly but even with the increased bomb load it takes a few to take out targets. Great fun doing low level sorties in the Blenheim and a good way to practice your navigational skills. For medium and high level bombing you will need to use the bomb sight in the bomb aimers position. That is a whole new 'ballgame' as they say. Good practice ready for the Wellington though.

Oh I didn't realise there was a version in the sim with bombs. Now you have started something lol.

Are we gunna see any other versions with the Africa expansion? Would be nice to do some Tank busting or get hurries with cannons .

12. Likes ATAG_Vampire, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Yep! Hurricane IIs with cannons and also Beaufighters with bombs.

Just the job for shipping attacks and vehicle convoy strafing on the desert roads.

Loads of good stuff to come so get plenty of practice.

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

14. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post

Recommend you think about going online on Teamspeak and chatting with the guys who are there and getting a wingman.

Sounds like you're having a ball Zappay

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Glad you are enjoying the sim Zappay.

The Hurricane is a nice aeroplane to fly for sure, I still fly it quite often, although I usually fly a Spitfire most of the time.

Doing a 'Blennie Run' is good fun too, although it is usually a one way trip, but it's satisfying to drop a stick of bombs and watch them explode on an enemy airfield.

You won't go far wrong with a Sidewinder 2. I use one myself. They are very good and as you have found they can be picked up quite cheaply on 'The Bay'

Are you using any form of Head Tracking? Having it is much better than using the hat switch on your joystick to look around, as I was doing when I first started

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

17. Likes ATAG_Scones, ATAG_Kulea liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Oh I didn't realise there was a version in the sim with bombs. Now you have started something lol.

Are we gunna see any other versions with the Africa expansion? Would be nice to do some Tank busting or get hurries with cannons .

Oh yeah ! Hurricane FB is great fun !

And you are spot on with Chuck's Guides... they are the best !

I still fly the Spitty on occasion... because... well why wouldn't you ?!

But... the Hurricane really makes me happy. Takes some serious damage too before it falls out of the sky.

Not like the Beaufighter mind... that takes a hell of a lot of punishment !!
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Mar-31-2019 at 16:30.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

19. Likes ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Laser View Post
    Glad you are enjoying the sim Zappay.

The Hurricane is a nice aeroplane to fly for sure, I still fly it quite often, although I usually fly a Spitfire most of the time.

Doing a 'Blennie Run' is good fun too, although it is usually a one way trip, but it's satisfying to drop a stick of bombs and watch them explode on an enemy airfield.

You won't go far wrong with a Sidewinder 2. I use one myself. They are very good and as you have found they can be picked up quite cheaply on 'The Bay'

Are you using any form of Head Tracking? Having it is much better than using the hat switch on your joystick to look around, as I was doing when I first started
    Yes i have track hat. Makes life much easier .

Nice to see you all on line tonight. Even though i never fired a shot lol .

21. Likes ATAG_Laser, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Yes i have track hat. Makes life much easier .

Nice to see you all on line tonight. Even though i never fired a shot lol .
    Wow !!

Sounds like you are already on lesson #76

"Don't fire a shot.... unless you have a hit!"

When you start out it seems like these RAF planes only have about 30 rounds... between eight guns... which is erm..... AHHH... bwain hurts...
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Mar-31-2019 at 16:59.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

23. Likes ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

So todays lesson .

1. you need to arm bombs before you drop them

2. You can blow yourself up

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

26. Likes zappay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Indeed. The enemy also shoots back when you attack. Here's some good old tips about how to attack a big old ship...

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Ha ha...

Big ole ships....

enjoyed that !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Not so sure you would escape against the CoD ships with that technique... not solo attack.

Single aircraft trying to skip bomb will probably die.

It would likely require multiple aircraft from multiple directions for at least one to succeed in a skip bombing attack.

Survival chances are typically much better when the bomb release is from a higher altitude and in a glide or dive bombing attack. The chances of a hit are worse, but it all depends on whether or not you want to survive.

Level bombing from high altitude is the safest, but the chances of a hit are small.

30. Likes ATAG_Scones, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Dang it!

I just a-reckon, that there Ole Bondi's got about the best lookin' 'sig-nee-at-chore' in the whole damn business! Yee hah! Salute!

32. Likes Bonditaria liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

Ive been watching some of these. looks awesome. Might be time to try the blemy

Also is there any chance of getting mossy's in the sim later down the line ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Chuck has made some good videos.

This one in particular shows not only how much fun it is to take part in a CloD event, but that you can have just as much fun in a twin engined aircraft as you can in the single engined ones.

If, as a community, we help make TFS 5.0 (Tobruk?) a commercial success and TFS can progress onto other projects/campaigns then the Mosquito may well be modelled.

Here is another Blennie video which I like. It was made using an earlier version of CloD.

Give the Blennie a go zappay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

so after a couple of test flights to get the hang of it I jumped online with the blennie last night.

did 2 sorties. first time from Eastchurch to bomb the field at oye plage, went across the channel at about 5000ft ,about half way across got took out by a 109.

2nd run went from Canterbury again my target was oye plage . this time tree top height then below 200ft all way across till I hit the French coast. this was also a test of my navigation. had used the protractor tool to plot my course and get my heading.
    Popped up to about 1500ft as I hit the coast to try and get my bearings. using the map and the coast line soon worked out I was a little too far east so swang south along the coast . think I was near enough in the right place going by the map but needed to turn inland to spot the base. at that moment my gunner calls out bandit 7 o'clock ……………………………..Dam it. Didn't last long after that . on fire I made a crash landing in a field and was now a pow.

In all enjoyed it. and very nearly got to my target. enjoying the blennie. and the whole challenge of vfr navigation .looking back at the map I should of used the roads to lead me to the base. SO a bit more study of my target area next time. will keep trying

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Cool that you like the Blennie. We do regularly low level raids with 1-4 Blennies in our squad. It is really a nice experience when your navigation worked, you surprised the blues and get home. You will soon know the map good enough to find those costal target like Oye and then you can go on to targets more inland.
    Keep trying to survive and you can really increase the fun if you find some Blennie friends on coms and do a raid together. Then this lonely 109 is not so sure to get the certain kill anymore when 2 or more Blennies work together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    92.84 MB

so after a couple of test flights to get the hang of it I jumped online with the blennie last night.

did 2 sorties. first time from Eastchurch to bomb the field at oye plage, went across the channel at about 5000ft ,about half way across got took out by a 109.

2nd run went from Canterbury again my target was oye plage . this time tree top height then below 200ft all way across till I hit the French coast. this was also a test of my navigation. had used the protractor tool to plot my course and get my heading.
    Popped up to about 1500ft as I hit the coast to try and get my bearings. using the map and the coast line soon worked out I was a little too far east so swang south along the coast . think I was near enough in the right place going by the map but needed to turn inland to spot the base. at that moment my gunner calls out bandit 7 o'clock ……………………………..Dam it. Didn't last long after that . on fire I made a crash landing in a field and was now a pow.

In all enjoyed it. and very nearly got to my target. enjoying the blennie. and the whole challenge of vfr navigation .looking back at the map I should of used the roads to lead me to the base. SO a bit more study of my target area next time. will keep trying
    You were so close on your 2nd run. Probably 2 miles inland from your target, no more. You got one of my rads so I had to make an emergency landing at Oye. S!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Great stuff !

If you see me on (struggling with work balance at the moment) give me a shout!... always up for some Blennie / Hurricance FB suicide missons... and have survived the last 5 sorties on the trott... which is incredible !

normally on Mondays and Wednesdays... 21:00 GMT+that daft summer thingy

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

39. Likes ATAG_Scones, zappay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Yep, doing a 'Blennie Run' is good fun.

As Highseas said, feel free to join us anytime buddy

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

41. Likes ATAG_Scones, ATAG_Highseas, zappay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Get plenty of practice in the Blenheim zappay because these 'babies' are coming.

Another video from Chuck Owl and made some time ago. Very apt for now though.

43. Likes zappay, ATAG_Laser, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Kulea View Post
    You were so close on your 2nd run. Probably 2 miles inland from your target, no more. You got one of my rads so I had to make an emergency landing at Oye. S!

Thanks. At least i hit something then

And thanks everyone else . need to get that headset so i can get on chat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

So ! ive been getting some practice in the Blemy . After watching these 2 vids been trying out low level navigation. Its a lot harder than it looks and you have to pick your waypoints carefully in the sim as its hard to tell otherwise so you have to pick things that really stand out. and study the lay of the land.

Its been going quite well but you really have to concentrate at such low level and try and stay on course . Its really important to work out your timings for each waypoint too so you know when you should be on it and looking. also using the map a lot to give you clues as to where you are and if your still on track. but it works. see why they had separate navigators now lol .
    Been practicing offline in a free flight mission I made .

I finally had my 1st successful sortie tonight online. Taking off from manston going for a radar station on the french coast . Low level around 200ft all the way. I had tried this run earier in the day but missed the radar and hit the camp next to it as i wasnt sure what i was looking for . then got 109ed .

But this time took off and Marlow joined me as esscort. low again all the way. missed on way in spun around and took the station out 2nd pass. took some flack to my port engine and it was vibrating terribly but still going. Marlow suggested i shut it down. as soon as i did all went smooth but couldn't hold altitude on 1 engine even at full power . so fired the port engine back up. rattled my way all the way back to manston , surprised it didnt vibrate its self to bits. But made it.
    At one point on the way back Marlow suggested i throw everything out to lighten the load , Sandwiches, flask, toilet ............

DId a 2nd sortie later jumping on Kulea coat tails and follwing him in a his blemy . Not really sure where i was going just tagging along. He got the target which was a feul dump. I seen some more fuel tanks so bombed them and they went up lovley although they had no score for hitting them .

then i see Kulea getting attacked by a 109 in the distance. He had to bail. i slipped away into the nearest clouds to escape. made it home so that was 2 on the bonce. unfortanley at Kulea exspense ..

So slowley getting there. loving the low level radier bombing . and the blemy. was great to get my 1st success online. and make it home

Loving the community also. what great bunch you all are .

Deffo need some coms. will get it sorted.

ZAP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast