Thread: Sudden Rash of game crashes

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Sudden Rash of game crashes

The game had been running fine on my system until this evening. I havnt made any changes to the PC, no software installed, no windows updates or anything. Ive flown several times over the past week (online and offline) with no issues. I always have to personalise the desktop to windows basic before I launch the game which was always the case before as otherwise it just crashes all the time.

It crashed twice initially tonight on spawn in. Then the next time I got a block message thing from Avast saying I had to re start my PC to ad clodlauncher.exe (I cant remember the actual name of the launcher but hopefully you know what I mean) to the virus chest or something. So I did.

So i re boot. Try again. This time i get an error message from steam saying the game update had failed. I tried again and this time it said it was updating the game and I got a little progress bar thing (i dont know why it was updating as i was on 4.55 already??) The game started up. Spawned in. Crashed. Tried again - this time i spawned in ok, got up and flying for about an hour, dove on some bombers, literally pulled the trigger....and freeze. AAAAGGGHHH lol.

Sytem Specs:
    Windows 7 (all up to date)
    i5 4690k
    GTX 1070
    16Gb Ram
    1TB SSD

Microsoft sidewinder FFB2.

I use the Thrustmaster TARGET software. I had team speak and Track IR running....cant think of anything else

Any pointers much appreciated

S!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: Sudden Rash of game crashes

My entire machine froze up today... about 30 minutes or so in... over Bolougne.

rebooted... everything fine.

hasn't happened before

(or at least not like that...)

I dont use Avast... just regular Windows 10 defender

hang in there Dave.....

You can't get away again just yet.....

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

3. Likes ATAG_Dave, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

Starting last night, I have been unable to change aircraft type without the game crashing. Everything works fine if I fly the plane shown for the airfield I chose.
    Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming MB,
    Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 31ghz CPU, EVGA 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram,
    Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte Curved Monitor 165hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, Reverb G2

League City, TX

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Long shot. Sometimes steam reactivates steam overlay on my system without telling me and i get similar system crashes. Worth checking just in case.

Hope u get it sorted.

Ps Good to see u back Dave btw.

Ezzie

6. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

This sounds very similar to what I have been experiencing since a few weeks (was fine before).

See my other thread: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=30712

Btw this happens both in singleplayer and multiplayer mode...

Since we seem to be more and more to experience similar, it may be time to somehow join efforts and try to solve this issue.

Perhaps first step would be to identify common settings/apps running in the background, etc...?

I wish I knew enough about technology to help more. Already posted the error logs which I believe may be helpful to someone who knows how to read them. Happy to participate in debugging session(s) with someone who understands this stuff.

My next intented step is to setup a "clean" account on my PC, dedicated to CLOD, on which I would not have any other program or app installed (such as Googledrive, dropbox, Outlook, etc.). Just Steam, CLOD, Teamspeak, Notifyer, and whatever is needed to run CLOD, nothing else. Will report back here if I see any difference.

NFY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

I understand there was a Windows update on April 10th. The same day I started having the problem I described above. Coincidence?

TWC_SLAG
    Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming MB,
    Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 31ghz CPU, EVGA 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram,
    Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte Curved Monitor 165hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, Reverb G2

League City, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Thank you fellas.

@ Ezzie - i just checked and the steam overlay is not ticked so its not that. Good to be back - funnily enough on my first sortie back i took off from eastchurch and headed south - I remembered i often used to see your 110 perched up there somewhere.... so i thought id best check....sure enough there you were, first enemy i saw upon my return thankfully i sneaked off unoticed on that occasion

@ Noofy - yeah happy to share stuff to find anything common. I havnt had much chance to fly since I had the problem, just for one evening. I have stopped running the TARGET software that i was using so I will see if that makes any difference - i certainly had no problems in that one session since. Other that that the only programs i have running when i play are team speak and Track Ir. I have something called trading paints running in the back ground also which is to do with another sim altogether. Im not very technical Im afraid - i dont even know where to look for an error log???

@ TWC - yes i always dread the windows updates - a necessary evil though!

S!

10. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

I read somewhere that crashes may happen if 32bit apps are running in the background.
    At least when the error message is ntdll.dll related...
    But this is like chinese to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dave View Post
    - i dont even know where to look for an error log???
    S!

You have to turn error logging on

As this quote from Buzzsaw

This is done in the conf.ini file in your Documents/1C SoftClub/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover/ folder.

[Console]

IP=20001
    UseStartLog=1
    WRAP=1
    PAUSE=1
    HISTORY=1024
    HISTORYCMD=1024
    PAGE=20
    LOG=1
    LOGTIME=1
    LOAD=console.cmd
    SAVE=console.cmd
    LOGFILE=log.txt
    LOGKEEP=1

This keeps a record of the game operation in a file called: log.txt

When you have a problem, open the log file, look at what is there and post it in the technical assistance forum.

It does have a slight performance hit apparently (never noticed it myself) so probably wise to switch it off again at some point
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Apr-12-2019 at 14:06.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

13. Likes ATAG_Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Yes, and another source of log files is in windows' "event viewer".
    After a crash happens, open the windows search menu (the magnifying glass to the right of the windows icon at the bottom left of your taskbar), type "event viewer", then look under windows logs > applications and identify the concerned error message(s)
    Noofy

15. Likes ATAG_Dave, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Windows 7 has a bad habit of installing that KB2670838 update that will always crash CloD unless uninstalled. If u run Internet Explorer 10 or above then u have that update as it gets installed with it. Best fix=get your free upgrade to Windows 10. https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ead.php?t=3528

For Windows 10 users, try re-installing your video card driver especially if u notice crashes just after a Windows update. Or better still check if u have the latest driver and then install that.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post322796

This still works if you want to upgrade. You may not want to.... and I'm offering no advice!

I did it three days ago on my wife's lap top.

Only issue i had was that weirdly her wifi then stopped working.

I deleted the wifi driver and rebooted and it sorted itself out.

Ive done it on three other machines with no issues at all.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Happened again...

Updated my error log files here: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post331777

Heeeeelp !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Noofy View Post
    Happened again...

Updated my error log files here: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post331777

Heeeeelp !!
    What r ur system specs and what OS r u running?
    Have u noted the above recommendations?
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torian View Post
    What r ur system specs and what OS r u running?
    Have u noted the above recommendations?
    Win10 64bit pro
    i7 16GB RAM, GTX1050

All details in my other post, including suggestions that I tried...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

This is done in the conf.ini file in your Documents/1C SoftClub/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover/ folder.

[Console]

IP=20001
    UseStartLog=1
    WRAP=1
    PAUSE=1
    HISTORY=1024
    HISTORYCMD=1024
    PAGE=20
    LOG=1
    LOGTIME=1
    LOAD=console.cmd
    SAVE=console.cmd
    LOGFILE=log.txt
    LOGKEEP=1

This keeps a record of the game operation in a file called: log.txt

When you have a problem, open the log file, look at what is there and post it in the technical assistance forum.
    Let's try to proceed in " steps".

First of all do what's indicated in the quote above...your logfiles posted until now are from Windows...we need also the game log file to possibly solve your problem

*Important note: When the crash occours copy the game log file BEFORE starting again the game or it will be overwritten!!!
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Apr-14-2019 at 23:42.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

22. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

I have the settings as you suggested.
    There is no error reporting in the CLOD log file, only the windows files.
    It just happened once and I have attached the corresponding error to my first post in the other thread (it was about one image it could not load from the cache). Did not report any error since.
    Just the windows error logs.
    Not sure how to interpret this...
    And by the way my CLOD log file is not overwritten each time I restart the game. The same file gets incrementally amended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Have you tried disable your antivirus software?
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Try also to read\try these:

LINK: https://steamcommunity.com/app/75453...5882929591275/

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Something similar to your problem: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...ashs-on-start/

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Thanks for the links Mölders.
    Yes I have already seen many of these, however since they are 2 years old for most I was wondering whether the solutions suggested were still valid after the subsequent patches.
    Anyway I’ll keep on trying.
    Following last update of NVIDIA drivers two days ago, I ran CLOD for a few hours yesterday in SP mode, as well as on DD and ATAG servers.
    Many respawns (thanks to Moose kills...) and no crash so far.
    I’ll monitor for a few more days before declaring it solved.

EDIT: Problem NOT solved.
    Will reinstall CLOD on SSD (same as Steam) as opposed to HDD as it is currently installed.
    To be followed...

EDIT: Nope, the re-install did not solve it. Still crashing but less frequetly it seems..

Continuing this topic on my other thread that has all the details:
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...975#post331975
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Apr-18-2019 at 22:22.

29. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    Long shot. Sometimes steam reactivates steam overlay on my system without telling me and i get similar system crashes. Worth checking just in case.

Hope u get it sorted.

Ps Good to see u back Dave btw.

Ezzie
    If anyone has been having game crashes recently it would be worth checking steam settings. Mine have just changed by themselves again - see screen grabs below. I just installed 3 x important windows (win 7 user) updates - not sure if cause/effect or purely coincidental re the steam overlays being re-enabled etc.

steam_changes.JPGsteam_changes_2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    598.45 MB

Game crash too suddenly.
    Screen black. A stuttering sound like the buzz of flourescent bulb.
    Have to reboot PC.