Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please Newbie completely confused!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Help please Newbie completely confused!

Would really appreciate some help here , i have just purchased this game and feel i need to get a Joystick, i have been recommended the Logitech 3d extreme , i have never used a joystick before so i am hoping this will be a good choice unless anyone feels their will be something better. My main question is can anyone point me in the right direction to how i set up a joystick for this game please, is their any tutorials any one know of, that would be a great help thanks very much

2. Likes ATAG_Snapper, danperin, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Re: Help please Newbie completely confused!

Quote Originally Posted by DB46 View Post

Would really appreciate some help here , i have just purchased this game and feel i need to get a Joystick, i have been recommended the Logitech 3d extreme , i have never used a joystick before so i am hoping this will be a good choice unless anyone feels their will be something better. My main question is can anyone point me in the right direction to how i set up a joystick for this game please, is their any tutorials any one know of, that would be a great help thanks very much
    You will need a joystick and the Logitech works fine. For joystick setup go to Options/Controls/Category:Aircraft/Axes. There are many settings but if you start with a Bf109 E-4 or a Spitfire you only need to use a few. Select a Quick mission where you start in the air and don't have to figure out how to take off.

4. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Oskar View Post
    You will need a joystick and the Logitech works fine. For joystick setup go to Options/Controls/Category:Aircraft/Axes. There are many settings but if you start with a Bf109 E-4 or a Spitfire you only need to use a few. Select a Quick mission where you start in the air and don't have to figure out how to take off.
    thanks ill try this better get my joystick on order, i really like the look of this game and hope i can pick it up , thanks for your help, also just a quick question would the Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas One Joystick for Xbox One and PC a better future investment?
    Last edited by DB46; Apr-09-2019 at 13:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Hi DB46, and welcome to Cliffs of Dover Blitz and our community.

If you want a good joystick on a budget I would recommend the Microsoft Sidewinder 2.

They are no longer made, but you can pick them up on ebay cheaply, and they are very reliable.

I haven't used the Logitech, but those that have used the Logitech and the MS Sidewinder says that the spring pressure is too strong with the Logitech, and that the Sidewinder is much better.

They are available with Force Feedback or without, mine is the non FFB version.

Both are just as good, but if you go for a sidewinder, make sure it's a Sidewinder 2, with the twist rudder control.

Good luck, and if you have any more problems just give us a shout

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Laser View Post
    Hi DB46, and welcome to Cliffs of Dover Blitz and our community.

If you want a good joystick on a budget I would recommend the Microsoft Sidewinder 2.

They are no longer made, but you can pick them up on ebay cheaply, and they are very reliable.

I haven't used the Logitech, but those that have used the Logitech and the MS Sidewinder says that the spring pressure is too strong with the Logitech, and that the Sidewinder is much better.

They are available with Force Feedback or without, mine is the non FFB version.

Both are just as good, but if you go for a sidewinder, make sure it's a Sidewinder 2, with the twist rudder control.

Good luck, and if you have any more problems just give us a shout
    Thanks very much ill look into this now

8. Likes ATAG_Laser, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

To start off with any joystick you can lay your hands on... !!

Begged borrowed (not stolen though)

My advice is start off as cheaply as you can and if you get the bug... then think about upgrading.... which for me was a long slow process !

The Sidewinder 2 (as laser says) has somewhat of a cult following round these parts.

I've never used one but there are some seriously ace pilots here using them so they must be good.

Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Apr-09-2019 at 16:07. Reason: can't spell

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

10. Likes ATAG_Laser, DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

If you haven't already done so, have a look through the beginners guide for information and help to get started with Cliffs of Dover

ttps://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711

Also, check out this thread to get an idea of which joysticks folks in the community are using

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ght=sidewinder

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

12. Likes ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Laser View Post
    If you haven't already done so, have a look through the beginners guide for information and help to get started with Cliffs of Dover

ttps://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711

Also, check out this thread to get an idea of which joysticks folks in the community are using

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ght=sidewinder
    Thanks really appreciate all this help

14. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

It's good here eh?

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

16. Likes ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    It's good here eh?

It sure is , however trying to find a good Sidewinder 2 with ffb looks hard!

I think the choices i have is the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS or Sidewinder with ffb, ill keep looking

Cheers

18. Likes ATAG_Laser, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

DB, I have a thrustmaster that is in excellent condition I could send you if you live in Canada, or wherever although I would ask that you pay for the postage.

As long as you promise to give BLITZ a fair go and say nice things about ATAG, no charge for the stick!
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    DB, I have a thrustmaster that is in excellent condition I could send you if you live in Canada, or wherever although I would ask that you pay for the postage.

As long as you promise to give BLITZ a fair go and say nice things about ATAG, no charge for the stick!
    i live in England but thanks for that offer, From what ive seen of Blitz addition is a game i ve been looking for ,for many years and believe it or not came across it just recently, to me it looks great although looking at some reviews it had its bad time of issues , however this seems to be changing big time now with Atag/team fusion on board and it looks to me that its going in the right direction, i haven't got on the game yet as looking to buy a joystick and its great to know that we have this site to get help, i am not very knowledgeable in flight sims more race sims but i really wont to learn this quick, i also hope like many on here no doubt, that this game will continue to be improved and added on, thanks again for all your help, ill let you know what i went with, still looking at my alternatives!
    Last edited by DB46; Apr-10-2019 at 03:17.

21. Likes ATAG_Laser, farley, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

not sure how easy it will be to find a working ffb2 on fleabay. It's like a golden unicorn.

I had one about 15 years ago and then when they stopped making them switched to CH products who make pretty solid mid range gear.

As for the game and mapping them you will find all the controls under aircraft and then click the axes button. Elevator, aileron, and rudder (yaw) will be the main three, then assign trigger and whatever buttons you have in the keys section. Click on the item you want to map and then press or move the relevant button/control.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by No.119_Bruv View Post
    not sure how easy it will be to find a working ffb2 on fleabay. It's like a golden unicorn.

I had one about 15 years ago and then when they stopped making them switched to CH products who make pretty solid mid range gear.

As for the game and mapping them you will find all the controls under aircraft and then click the axes button. Elevator, aileron, and rudder (yaw) will be the main three, then assign trigger and whatever buttons you have in the keys section. Click on the item you want to map and then press or move the relevant button/control.
    ok thanks , what ch products would you recommend as i have a open mind at the moment and exploring all my possibilities, also Amazon are doing a deal on this = Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One Flight Stick for Xbox One and Windows(Black) is this worth looking at?
    Last edited by DB46; Apr-10-2019 at 04:11.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    498.76 MB

ok thanks , what ch products would you recommend as i have a open mind at the moment and exploring all my possibilities, also Amazon are doing a deal on this = Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One Flight Stick for Xbox One and Windows(Black) is this worth looking at?
    I recommend you the Thrustmaster T16000 ,its not very expensive and it works well and with hall sensors.I've also had the T.Flight Hotas and it has less precision because the axis have less travel .I would also recommend that you buy some rudder pedals because it is difficult to control the yaws with a joystick.

25. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by addict View Post
    I recommend you the Thrustmaster T16000 ,its not very expensive and it works well and with hall sensors.I've also had the T.Flight Hotas and it has less precision because the axis have less travel .I would also recommend that you buy some rudder pedals because it is difficult to control the yaws with a joystick.
    Rudder pedals +1
    Even a blind mosquito finds its way home

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ekko View Post
    Rudder pedals +1
    Cheapset option there is probably CH Pro... they pop up on ebay around about the £50 mark.

Make sure if you get some they are the USB ones.... cos the gamport ones won't work.

no idea what teh other cheap options are like... by CH kit is like Tonka Toys.... plasticy but tough as nails.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

28. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Cheapset option there is probably CH Pro... they pop up on ebay around about the £50 mark.

Make sure if you get some they are the USB ones.... cos the gamport ones won't work.

no idea what teh other cheap options are like... by CH kit is like Tonka Toys.... plasticy but tough as nails.
    Thanks to you all i cant believe the help ive had here really appreciate it , i am now looking hard into getting something set up asap so i can play this game

30. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

Thanks to you all i cant believe the help ive had here really appreciate it , i am now looking hard into getting something set up asap so i can play this game
    Game or start your virtual life as a combat pilot?
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    Game or start your virtual life as a combat pilot?
    Hopefully a good pilot in years to come,
    Last edited by DB46; Apr-10-2019 at 15:13.

33. Likes Stormrider, No.119_Bruv liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

[QUOTE=DB46;331602]Hopefully a good pilot in years to come,

35. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi DB46.......maybe you're thinking it's a little surprising to receive such a huge amount of help whilst on the internet? I can assure you (from personal experience) that you are now part of an amazing community. A community of like minded people who are all mad on WWII aviation and, in particular, The Battle of Britain. However, we also enjoy helping out others who discover this amazing flight sim. Remember, no matter what problem you come across in your future career as a combat pilot...be it a computer technical problem, or something to do with periferals (joystick, Team Speak, rudder pedals) there will always be someone on this forum ready and willing to help you out. You just need to post and help will soon be on it's way.

I myself use a Microsoft Sidewinder (non Force feedback) stick. I can't remember how old it is...maybe 15 years...and it's still doing me proud. I do not have rudder pedals but because Cliffs of Dover is 'my thing' I am seriously considering buying some. Please do yourself a favour and download Team Speak and a microphone. This is the program we use to talk to each other whilst flying. It allows all sorts of operational cooperation as well as a huge amount of hilarious banter. It also means we can talk to you...and you will find answers to your questions so much faster!

When you are up and ready to go and need somebody to fly with, I'm your man. Just drop me a personal post, or post in the Welcome Thread and we can sort out a 'wing up!' It's not compulsory but I'm sure it will be fun! I am based in England, too, so timing won't be an issue. Best of luck with your training and 'welcome to our Community.' Hope to see you in our virtual skies soon. Salute!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Hi DB46.......maybe you're thinking it's a little surprising to receive such a huge amount of help whilst on the internet? I can assure you (from personal experience) that you are now part of an amazing community. A community of like minded people who are all mad on WWII aviation and, in particular, The Battle of Britain. However, we also enjoy helping out others who discover this amazing flight sim. Remember, no matter what problem you come across in your future career as a combat pilot...be it a computer technical problem, or something to do with periferals (joystick, Team Speak, rudder pedals) there will always be someone on this forum ready and willing to help you out. You just need to post and help will soon be on it's way.

I myself use a Microsoft Sidewinder (non Force feedback) stick. I can't remember how old it is...maybe 15 years...and it's still doing me proud. I do not have rudder pedals but because Cliffs of Dover is 'my thing' I am seriously considering buying some. Please do yourself a favour and download Team Speak and a microphone. This is the program we use to talk to each other whilst flying. It allows all sorts of operational cooperation as well as a huge amount of hilarious banter. It also means we can talk to you...and you will find answers to your questions so much faster!

When you are up and ready to go and need somebody to fly with, I'm your man. Just drop me a personal post, or post in the Welcome Thread and we can sort out a 'wing up!' It's not compulsory but I'm sure it will be fun! I am based in England, too, so timing won't be an issue. Best of luck with your training and 'welcome to our Community.' Hope to see you in our virtual skies soon. Salute!
    Thanks ill take you up on that please. once i have a joystick sorted ill let you know , i am mad on anything ww2 having had one great grandad in the raf and one grandad in the front line on the ground i have always been keen to learn and respect what these guys did for us, i dont think any of us really know what these brave guys did for us not a great time to live in , anyhow ill contact you asap still looking at getting a second hand joystick to start off with should have one off ebay by the weekend speak soon, and thanks, ps i am 54 years of age so may not be that quick on picking up the controls!!!
    Last edited by DB46; Apr-11-2019 at 06:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

54 years?
    Welcome young man

My two cents:
    Joystick: I'm flying with a thrustmaster since years. No problems.

Pedals: I think this is very different for everybody. Since I bought them I don't want to miss them, because they add a lot to the immersion.
    But actually my flying was more precise with the twistgrip of the stick.

Head tracker: for me absolutely essential, a real game changer.
    Still I know that there are some guys around who fly way better than me, but use this button on the stick for looking around.

TeamSpeak: absolutely essential!

S!

DerDa

39. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

[QUOTE=DerDa;331632]54 years?
    Welcome young man

My two cents:
    Joystick: I'm flying with a thrustmaster since years. No problems.

Pedals: I think this is very different for everybody. Since I bought them I don't want to miss them, because they add a lot to the immersion.
    But actually my flying was more precise with the twistgrip of the stick.

Head tracker: for me absolutely essential, a real game changer.
    Still I know that there are some guys around who fly way better than me, but use this button on the stick for looking around.

TeamSpeak: absolutely essential!

S!

Head tracker: ill look into this thanks, team speak ill sort at some point, ref head tracker is trackhat the one to look at?
    Last edited by DB46; Apr-11-2019 at 09:05.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi again DB46..........oh to be 54 again! I'm 62 now and time seems to be gallivanting in the wrong direction! You will find that the best of chaps and the majority of us are of the 'more mature type of man!' However, that means that we have a very civilised atmosphere and environment both on the Forum and the Servers. We don't allow swearing. We don't tolerate intimidation or any sort of unpleasantness so our servers are full of contented chaps enjoying a bit of downtime amongst mates. You'll fit right in!

As to picking up all the answers and controls? I'm not the fastest pilot on the sim but I will enjoy passing on what I know......and after ten minutes I'll pass you on the ATAG_Knight who knows bucket loads!!! Ha ha!

I agree with Derda that Team Speak and a mic are crucial to the fun and immersion but so is a good head tracking device. I personally splashed out £165 to buy Track Ir5. I know that's quite a lot of money (EDTracker is only around £45) but as I said before I knew that Cliffs was my thing and I wanted to have the necessary equipment. There is more information about Head trackers in The Technical Section of the Forum. Do have a look.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...splay.php?f=63

Good luck and....salute!

42. Likes ATAG_Knight, farley liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Hi again DB46..........oh to be 54 again! I'm 62 now and time seems to be gallivanting in the wrong direction! You will find that the best of chaps and the majority of us are of the 'more mature type of man!' However, that means that we have a very civilised atmosphere and environment both on the Forum and the Servers. We don't allow swearing. We don't tolerate intimidation or any sort of unpleasantness so our servers are full of contented chaps enjoying a bit of downtime amongst mates. You'll fit right in!

As to picking up all the answers and controls? I'm not the fastest pilot on the sim but I will enjoy passing on what I know......and after ten minutes I'll pass you on the ATAG_Knight who knows bucket loads!!! Ha ha!

I agree with Derda that Team Speak and a mic are crucial to the fun and immersion but so is a good head tracking device. I personally splashed out £165 to buy Track Ir5. I know that's quite a lot of money (EDTracker is only around £45) but as I said before I knew that Cliffs was my thing and I wanted to have the necessary equipment. There is more information about Head trackers in The Technical Section of the Forum. Do have a look.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...splay.php?f=63

Good luck and....salute!
    Totally agree with you on the first paragraph and i am glad to be coming into something like this although i haven't been a lover of multiplayer in the past (race games) as theirs too many idiots involved that are just their to spoil the fun! so really looking forward to this, ref being 54 i was meaning this in terms of picking up the controls as the younger generational 10 minutes on a controller and there experts! if you know what i mean and i am not that quick on picking up stuff, so yes i really would love to join in , hopefully soon, the head track device i will study this weekend thanks again.

44. Likes ATAG_Knight, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

No probs, DB...I can see we're on the same page! I have never played any other multiplayer other than Cliffs so I can't speak from experience but other chaps here describe some servers as being less than pleasent places with a lot of ego's sounding off to each other constantly! Not my scene at all! (Or any of the other pilots who fly Cliffs, for that matter!)
    The fact that Cliffs is a tricky and sustained learning curve is what keeps most of the 'butterfly brains' away and allows the serious student to concentrate on a fascinating new hobby!

Take your time to study the various types of head tracker, joy stick and head set with mics. (for Team Speak) The research is all part of the fun and it's important to feel happy with what you ultimately buy......and let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. Good luck and.....Salute!

46. Likes ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Hello again DB.

I am also 54, and I think you will find that most folks here are 40+, although of course there are also many who are younger.

Check out this age poll https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...highlight=poll

You have recieved plenty of good advice already, not only on which joystick to go for, but on other peripherals that will help you with cliffs.

I would say get your joystick and a headset for teamspeak (You don't need to splash out a lot of money for a headset, you can get them for around £10) and then you will be able to play the game and join us on Teamspeak.

Rudder pedals are not essential at this stage, unless you really want to get a set. I found that the twist control on the joystick works just as well, but clearly having rudder pedals do add to the immersion factor of flying. I am currently using a set of Saitek pro flight pedals.

I would say that head tracking is much more important than having pedals though. Yes you can look around using the hat switch on your joystick, I done so myself for a while when I first started but you will be at a disadvantage on the server as most of the other players will have head tracking of some kind of head tracking.

As before I will refer you to the beginners guide as there is a section in there about head tracking. Track IR is the most popular choice, and is very good albeit quite expensive.

Ed Tracker and Track hat are both very good, and more reasonably priced options to consider.

One final thing, once you get up and running do join us on Teamspeak and say hello. Please never feel bad about asking questions, or joining a channel when others are talking, or if there might be only ATAG members in a channel, as is often the case when a group of us fly on a Monday / Wednesday evening UK time.

We are always happy to help new players out

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Hi DB46

You've had some great advice already and I would only repeat what has been said before .

For me I would say TeamSpeak is essential if you're considering online participation .

It's free to install and you only need a relatively cheap set of earphones and mic to get going .

You will not be subjected to any form of negative feedback or comments from other players .

Our only aim is to enhance your personal enjoyment of the flight sim and give you the opportunity

to improve your level of expertise .

Welcome to Blitz my friend , enjoy the ride

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

49. Likes ATAG_Marlow, farley, ATAG_Laser liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast