Thread: Want to see panic in my eyes? Here we go...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Want to see panic in my eyes? Here we go...

I've started my training for my sailplane/motor glider license in Hamburg-Boberg this year. In this video you see my 12th take off. I'm getting the bird into the air without any help of my instructor Thomas. Once up there I do my best to fly a few nice clean circles. After four mnutes Thomas said that we are in a region of falling/dropping air an that we should return quickly. So I made my approach to our airfield as usual - not fast enough. Without any warning he grabed the controls, pushed the stick forward and we dived with 180 Km/h right towards a line of trees standing at the very front of the runway. For a sec I thought: Dammit probably he has some mental issues and wanted to die... We speak german of course but panic is an international language

Last edited by HenryLuebberstedt; Apr-23-2019 at 09:16. Reason: GPS data added
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Re: Want to see panic in my eyes? Here we go...

Chewing = Pilot relaxed

Not chewing = What the heck are you doing Thomas???!!!

Chewing again = Thanks Gott we landed!!!

Very nice video mate thanks for sharing it!!!
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Yes, thanks for sharing Henry.

Great video.

"Und wieder was gelernt". I like that.

"A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Thanks for sharing!
    Love this part ”Thomas, Thomas, alles klar bei dir...”

I guess during my training as a pilot on motor powered planes I also sometimes stopped chewing, thank god there were no cameras

Hope to see more of this stuff, always admired you sailplane guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    66.34 MB

Als Verweigerer der Sozialen Medien hab´ ich´s erst jetzt gesehen. Tolles Video, tolle Eindrücke, Henry. Hut ab! Viel Erfolg weiterhin!

Gruß Qetz

6. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

I have one question: how many people tried to turn their head left and right while watching the video to get a forward view, then realized that you did not have TrackIR up and running?
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kayo View Post
    Thanks for sharing!
    Hope to see more of this stuff, always admired you sailplane guys.
    I'm going to start a blog on stern.de about my flight training with text, photos an videos. Sailplane flying is a cool hobby but time consuming as hell. Training is every weekend from 07:30 to 14:30 (07:30 am - 2:30 pm). Usually you get two flights a day. The rest of the time you are helping your class mates getting in the air. To get more practice I'm going to spend some money for a week in a regular flight school. Good weather provided one can get there five to seven take offs a day.
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    38.21 MB

What's used for launch? I was expecting to see a tow plane, is there a catapult on the field?
    AKA Jim

10. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

You looked calm and collected to me, Henry! The only reason the wind was descending instead of rising is because your hat was on backwards! Chuck Yeager would never wear his hat backwards...
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Target View Post
    What's used for launch? I was expecting to see a tow plane, is there a catapult on the field?
    Its not a catapult the plane is being pulled by a motor driven big winch. But it feels the same: in 2.8 seconds you are from 0 to 100 Km/h. A few seconds you are in an altitude of around 400 meters. Winch launching is usually cheap and launches can be made rapidly, one after another. Because of this, it is the preferred launch method in most clubs especially for instructional flights. Our 1300 meters long tow cable is attached to a hook which is usually installed a little left of center. You can see how the cable is being attached at 00:37.

I made another video with my action cam (Sony FDR X3000) on my head. At the very start of the clip one can see the cable. We had most perfect weather conditions that day. Blue Sky, some good clouds and a climbing up to 4 meters/sec! In a very short time we reached 4000 feet - unfortunatley the max. allowed altidude in the area because of Hamburg airport in the neigbourhood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Cool Re: Want to see panic in my eyes? Here we go...

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    You looked calm and collected to me, Henry! The only reason the wind was descending instead of rising is because your hat was on backwards! Chuck Yeager would never wear his hat backwards...
    Thats not my fault! I was told to wear that thing backwards! I know it looks like a crime. Normaly you have to share the airspace near the airfield with another 30 or more planes. The hat backwards provides you with the best view in all directions - even to sailplanes above you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Top stuff!

The only planes I have ever flown haha!
    A sudden plunge towards the treeline on final would probably have me skip a few beats! Those old glider pilots generally know what they are doing, certainly beats a stall followed by a swift spin into the hard stuff

By the way, that wouldn't happen to be a lovely old ASK21 by any chance would it? O.o
    Last edited by ATAG_TCP; Apr-22-2019 at 17:51.

15. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I thought you looked cool, calm, and collected, Henry. Me? I would’ve been screaming “MOMMY!” like a little girl all the way down! (Fellow Red pilots online will attest to that whenever I get jumped by 9./JG52).

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    (Fellow Red pilots online will attest to that whenever I get jumped by 9./JG52).
    I'm most impressed! You still have time to scream when they jump you???

18. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    598.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by HenryLuebberstedt View Post
    Its not a catapult the plane is being pulled by a motor driven big winch. But it feels the same: in 2.8 seconds you are from 0 to 100 Km/h. A few seconds you are in an altitude of around 400 meters. Winch launching is usually cheap and launches can be made rapidly, one after another. Because of this, it is the preferred launch method in most clubs especially for instructional flights. Our 1300 meters long tow cable is attached to a hook which is usually installed a little left of center. You can see how the cable is being attached at 00:37.

I made another video with my action cam (Sony FDR X3000) on my head. At the very start of the clip one can see the cable. We had most perfect weather conditions that day. Blue Sky, some good clouds and a climbing up to 4 meters/sec! In a very short time we reached 4000 feet - unfortunatley the max. allowed altidude in the area because of Hamburg airport in the neigbourhood.

Henry this post is awesome!!!
    Truly cracked up at the mental comment!
    Tell me how does flying in the real world differ VISUALLY from playing CLOD?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by \Hawk/ View Post
    Henry this post is awesome!!!
    Truly cracked up at the mental comment!
    Tell me how does flying in the real world differ VISUALLY from playing CLOD?

Well, funny thing is: As a beginner I'm so extremly focused I don't have an eye for my eviroment
    You see much more dust and haze up there. Its more blurish than crisp clean like in the virtual world even on a sunny day. On the other hand one can see tragets, eh sorry, ground objects much earlier. They don't pop up all of a sudden like in the sim but "fade in" so to say. There is an old no longer active nuclear power plant 22 km south of the airfield, a massive building. You can see it clearly right after take off from an altitude of around 500-600 meters. Of course not as a single clear shaped object. Its more a dark massive block. In CloD one has to go much closer to see anything. The ground in CloD looks in my opinion more realistic than in BoX. Immersion killer in CloD are this pop-up behavior and the lack af shadows on distant objects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    598.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by HenryLuebberstedt View Post
    Well, funny thing is: As a beginner I'm so extremly focused I don't have an eye for my eviroment
    You see much more dust and haze up there. Its more blurish than crisp clean like in the virtual world even on a sunny day. On the other hand one can see tragets, eh sorry, ground objects much earlier. They don't pop up all of a sudden like in the sim but "fade in" so to say. There is an old no longer active nuclear power plant 22 km south of the airfield, a massive building. You can see it clearly right after take off from an altitude of around 500-600 meters. Of course not as a single clear shaped object. Its more a dark massive block. In CloD one has to go much closer to see anything. The ground in CloD looks in my opinion more realistic than in BoX. Immersion killer in CloD are this pop-up behavior and the lack af shadows on distant objects.
    Aah man! So cool to hear this feedback!
    Looking forward to being up in the virtual sky again, knowing that it is kinda close to the real thing!

Once again loved the post and your YouTube channel. You have a awesome talent!

22. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by \Hawk/ View Post
    Aah man! So cool to hear this feedback!
    Looking forward to being up in the virtual sky again, knowing that it is kinda close to the real thing!

Once again loved the post and your YouTube channel. You have a awesome talent!
    Ok, Hawk, her we go ...
    This is my 6. take off. A very typical flight lesson for sailplaners. We going through the checklist at the very start: Radio frequency, Altimeter to QFE (because Hamburg is nearly at sea level), all ruders free check, airbrake check, wind direction and - most important - whats the plan if the cable breakes. A cable rupture is a very dangerous situation. Two weeks ago a pilot in Schleswig-Holstein (north from Hamburg) died. He went in a flat spin and wasn't able to recover. First to do: push the stick forward to gain speed. Speed is life! If youre under 100 meter just fly straight ahead and land the plane immediately. If your over 100 meter push the stick, gain speed and very gently turn the plane with the wind, do a half circle an return to the airtfield. Leaving the plane by parachute is under 400 meter NOT a brilliant idea... Once up in the air we practiced curves. Sounds easy but flying a clean circle with minimum loss of energy needs some good amount of training. The most important "instrument" is the red thread at the outside of the canopy. This thread indicates the direction the wind is streaming over the airplane. Points the thread to the left or right you are splipping.

Last edited by HenryLuebberstedt; May-03-2019 at 07:01.

24. Likes Gingerbread, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Our thoughts go to the Schleswig-Holstein Segelflieger who lost his life practicing his passion, and to his family and friends.
    It is always sad to hear about the loss of a fellow pilot.
    He just went flying in higher skies.
    Requiescat In Pace
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h