Thread: Spitfire Mk Ia (100 octane) Flashcard

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Spitfire Mk Ia (100 octane) Flashcard

Flashcard for the Spitfire Mk Ia (100 octane) added to the Allied Flashcards:

SPITFIRE MK Ia (100 Octane) Flashcard.jpg

Hope you like it.

But let me know if there is anything amiss.

Last edited by ATAG_Scones; May-12-2019 at 08:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

Re: Spitfire Mk Ia (100 octane) Flashcard

Excellent work!
    Many thanks.
    SD_MBen
    "What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over... the Battle of Britain is about to begin!"
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

3. Likes ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

FANTASTIC!!!!!

The only thing I can think to add is that the gauges (boost, airspeed, rpm) which are referred to should be labelled accordingly also (ie. D, E, F) to help the truly neophyte Spit pilot.

Thanks for doing this.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

5. Likes ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    FANTASTIC!!!!!

The only thing I can think to add is that the gauges (boost, airspeed, rpm) which are referred to should be labelled accordingly also (ie. D, E, F) to help the truly neophyte Spit pilot.

Thanks for doing this.

Thanks for pointing that out, Snapper.

Labels for the boost, airspeed, and rpm have been added.

7. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Dauntless liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

This is a video game, so whatever settings work for the player are OK. However, for technical accuracy, you need to reference the source of some of these numbers. Published operating limits vary significantly from source to source due to wartime modifications, command decisions, and video gamers' opinions. It's not that your limits are necessarily incorrect, but the reader deserves to know where they come from.

For accuracy and consistency, I teach from the "RAF Pilot's Notes", A.P.1565B, Vol. I, Sect.2 (WWII RAF's Equivalent to today's "Owners Manual"). This is a Spitfire MKII manual, but generally applies to MKI airplanes equipped with the ROTOL prop, using 100 Octane fuel. It may be downloaded free from a number of websites on the internet. Here's one:

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en...i-engines.html

What caught my eye was your approach and landing speeds.

Normal final approach airspeed, described as "Engine assisted approach speed" is 80-85 mph A.S.I.. Touchdown is recommended at the three point attitude and when flown properly will occur at or around 60 mph. When observed from the pilot's seat, a three point touchdown will have a forward picture just like sitting still on the runway before you takeoff. A touchdown at 90 mph is much too fast for normal conditions, and will always result in a nose low "wheel" landing.

Normal approach is easy to remember: 90 mph maneuvering to final, 80-85 mph ON final, pitch trim fully Aircraft Nose UP (ANU) once the gear is down and the ship has slowed below 100 mph. 1800 RPM is a good "Ballpark" power setting for full flap final approach.

For emergencies, 90 mph on final provides extra stall protection in no-flap or engine out glide condition.

According to the RAF Pilot's Notes (Both MKI and MKII), the flap limiting airspeed is 120 mph. At speeds greater than 120 mph, the flaps are supposed to partially retract. The placard in the cockpit says 140 mph. Go figure...

I also found these variations from your checklist:

The climb limitation for the ROTOL equipped engine RPM is 2850 (Limited to 30 minutes). Two speed DH props are restricted to 2600. This is a good example of how published limits changed as airplanes were improved and sometimes seem contradictory.

The rate of advancing the throttle for takeoff is a matter of technique. There are valid arguments for slowly advancing the throttle as well as for setting power quickly. The RAF wrote that once the airplane is moving forward slowly, "open to full throttle". I teach setting the power quickly to minimize the time during which the power level is changing. However, this is a personal preference technique only.
    Last edited by Baffin; May-18-2019 at 08:52. Reason: flaps limits
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Thanks, Baffin.

I am not an expert (just a flight sim. enthusiast wanting to help others) and that's why I welcome and appreciate any help this wonderful community offers.

I believe that pilots new to the simulator should have accurate information for starting up, getting airborne, and landing any of the plane set as easily as possible.

Errare humanum est - that's why rubbers are attached to pencils!

Flashcard amended for landing.

10. Likes Baffin, ATAG_TCP, ATAG_Marlow, SD_MBen liked this post