Thread: Question for devolpers of 5.0 patch

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Question for devolpers of 5.0 patch

Originally post on Great Battles /Cliffs of Dover Forum:
    https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...0-development/

i have played CloD since it was first introduced , then modded to be more playable & now of course BLITZ, but one aspect has always disappointed me and that is the lighting in night missions which I believe was first changed when the modders took over the original sim sometime ago. It simply is the least attractive atmospheric feature of an otherwise beautiful game esp compared to ( sorry to bring it up in the CloDBlitz forum,but,) Great Battles.

Here is a visual comparison.He-111s over a populated area with clouds at 2300,not perfect but as good as I could do quickly:

First CloD, then Great Battles:

Launcher64 2019-04-28 09-31-44-15.jpg
    2019_4_27__15_38_11 copy.jpg

( The difference isovious: CloD looks almost as if it is a photo negative, which is an old trick for making day for night. The GB shots are far more believable & a beautiful environment to "fly' & fight in....so simply can this be changed in the long anticipated v 5.0? It would make night flight in Northern Europe & North Africa much more attractive propositions,,,)
    (Go to original post to see more screenshots illustrating the differences)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Question for devolpers of 5.0 patch

To be fair both sims fail in nights environment, in CloD is "psychedelic", in GB always "full moon".

3. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello Blitzen

The night environment in CoD is not one which we at TF have spent a lot of time developing. The original game has definite issues in terms of the graphics rendition... are these fixable?... yes, we have improved slightly on the original game in the short period this was looked at back in 2013... but we have not had time to focus on a longterm complete overhaul for TF 5.0... perhaps for TF 6.0. We want to get the daytime game up to the level we think is required first.

Every developer has to make decisions regarding 'playability' versus 'realism'. It is not for us at TF to criticize 1C for their decisions re. the night environment in the BoX series.

In regards to the CoD night environment, in the spectrum of flight sims it probably falls on the side of greater difficulty ... i.e. the player is faced with a challenge when he attempts to fly at night.

So it is not easy to see the ground and in order to land, the player normally requires the assistance of flare paths etc.

With the exception of full moon clear unclouded nights, most historical night flight in the WWII era relied on instruments... Visually guided flight was not possible.... this was why introductory pilot training courses had the trainees fly aircraft in daytime with their cockpits completely covered by a hood... no visual guide at all. (with the instructor in a cockpit which was uncovered) In operational flying often the British or German night bombers would avoid flying on clear full moon nights because those conditions gave a big advantage to night fighters. In the disastrous Nuremberg raid of March 30 1944, an operation which was ordered in a time period, (full moon/no clouds) which was normal RAF policty to be avoided, resulted in the largest loss rate for the RAF in the entire war, 95 bombers lost at a loss rate of 11.9%.

https://www.jankersten.nl/williamuyen/19440330.html

It is the case that night flying in CoD is probably better suited for single player... a realistic environment would in most missions probably see no contact between players in an online multiplayer situation. At some point we hope to have a functioning night environment with airborne radar and improved graphics, but as I said before, likely not for TF 5.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    To be fair both sims fail in nights environment, in CloD is "psychedelic", in GB always "full moon".
    Here's a more accurate screenie of a dark night in GB.The others were slightly improved in PhotoShop..
    2019_4_27__15_40_9 copy.jpg
    It can be pretty dark,I'm not sure there's always a moon...to be honest I haven't done that much night flying thus far but just now started a 'Scripted campaign with a Bf-110G .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

I talked with Kling about this a while back as I think the BoX night sky is a lot more 'useful' than the current CloD one. To be fair, Kling is a real life airline pilot and even under a full moon sky (his input) there is very little that can be seen of the ground, it is very dark. So I don't see, as it currently stands, TFS changing the current night time environment but time as they say will tell.
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

7. Likes IIJG27Rich, Kling liked this post