Thread: TfS Official Practice Server

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

TfS Official Practice Server

Greetings all,

Not sure this is the right place to post this. If not please feel free to move it to wherever it belongs.

There is an online server called TFS Official Practice Server, using the Volcanic Isles map, with loads and loads of AI aircraft of all type, and sometimes a couple of humans flying around.

Can someone please explain to me what this server is all about? Can we just pop in and practice shooting at these AI targets, or would we be disrupting on-going tests or something?
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Re: TfS Official Practice Server

Sure you can go in there, TFS Official Practice Server is open to the public. Sometimes TFS will run closed test servers which you won't be able to join because you won't have the matching game software version or you won't have the password, but this is not one of those. So go wild.

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Noofy View Post
    Can we just pop in and practice shooting at these AI targets
    Yes! This is exactly what it is for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

I have been on server to practice gunnery, I found it prone to shuddering (not sure if that correct term) on a few occasions. reducing number of AI aircraft a bit might help. otherwise its very useful or would be if I was starting from a reasonable skill level

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonditaria View Post
    Sure you can go in there, TFS Official Practice Server is open to the public. Sometimes TFS will run closed test servers which you won't be able to join because you won't have the matching game software version or you won't have the password, but this is not one of those. So go wild.
    OK, I'd love to try it, in fact I've tried it. Can't get past the password window. I've tried the only password I could find, but it didn't work.

Is there a new pw? Also, which is the best method to connect to the server, of the apparently two types listed?

While I'm asking about on line action, in the practice server arena is radio communication ( I guess via Teamspeak, et al. ) necessary or adviseable or is it not available?

I'm sorry if I'm missing the obvious but I have tried to research this and can't find any answers.

Hopefully this process will be simple and if published will encourage others to try the practice server and then go on to other more demanding servers.

Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JackMaXX View Post
    I have been on server to practice gunnery, I found it prone to shuddering (not sure if that correct term) on a few occasions. reducing number of AI aircraft a bit might help. otherwise its very useful or would be if I was starting from a reasonable skill level
    I can confirm this.
    We were on the practice server on Friday night and it was very, very laggy.

7. Likes ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ardu View Post
    OK, I'd love to try it, in fact I've tried it. Can't get past the password window. I've tried the only password I could find, but it didn't work.

Is there a new pw? Also, which is the best method to connect to the server, of the apparently two types listed?

While I'm asking about on line action, in the practice server arena is radio communication ( I guess via Teamspeak, et al. ) necessary or adviseable or is it not available?

I'm sorry if I'm missing the obvious but I have tried to research this and can't find any answers.

Hopefully this process will be simple and if published will encourage others to try the practice server and then go on to other more demanding servers.

Thanks for any help.
    You don't need any password for joining the TFS Practice Server unless it is closed for testing purposes.
    In game you choose 'Multiplayer' then click on 'find Servers' or something like this. Then a list of active servers appears (ATAG Axis vs. Allies, DangerDogz, several TWC servers and others, as well as the TFS Official Practice Server). Most of them are not password protected (as for example ATAG Axis vs. Allies, DangerDogz and the TFS Official Practice Server).
    Just click on one of them to choose then click 'Join Server' that's it.

After some time you will see a map of the channel on the left side of the screen and, on the top right side to flags. Click one of them to select sides. On the map then a number of active airfields will appear in white.
    If you click on one of them it will allow you to choose the different aircraft available at this specific airfield.

Passwords are needed only for some campain servers or if you want to connect to TeamSpeak (independent from CloD, completely different programme).
    On DangerDogz and the TFS Official Practice Server you can press 'M' (default) to show you a map and the airplanes near you are depicted there in red and blue. So you can find friends or enemies without communication.
    On full real servers like ATAG it is advisable not to fly alone and communicate via TeamSpeak, for example ATAG the ATAG Teamspeak server. The password for this you can find in the very topmost thread of this forum.

Hope this helps,

S!

DerDa

9. Likes Argus_AIG (44) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Ardu View Post

Thanks for any help.
    Normally no need for password.
    The server was reserved for a training last Saturday, and for some reason the PW is still active.
    Try “Bomb” until someone removes it.
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Jun-10-2019 at 04:13.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    You don't need any password for joining the TFS Practice Server unless it is closed for testing purposes.
    In game you choose 'Multiplayer' then click on 'find Servers' or something like this. Then a list of active servers appears (ATAG Axis vs. Allies, DangerDogz, several TWC servers and others, as well as the TFS Official Practice Server). Most of them are not password protected (as for example ATAG Axis vs. Allies, DangerDogz and the TFS Official Practice Server).
    Just click on one of them to choose then click 'Join Server' that's it.

After some time you will see a map of the channel on the left side of the screen and, on the top right side to flags. Click one of them to select sides. On the map then a number of active airfields will appear in white.
    If you click on one of them it will allow you to choose the different aircraft available at this specific airfield.

Passwords are needed only for some campain servers or if you want to connect to TeamSpeak (independent from CloD, completely different programme).
    On DangerDogz and the TFS Official Practice Server you can press 'M' (default) to show you a map and the airplanes near you are depicted there in red and blue. So you can find friends or enemies without communication.
    On full real servers like ATAG it is advisable not to fly alone and communicate via TeamSpeak, for example ATAG the ATAG Teamspeak server. The password for this you can find in the very topmost thread of this forum.

Hope this helps,

S!

DerDa
    Der Da and Noofy, thanks for your quick responses. I will venture forth, with parachute and bus money for the trip home.

12. Likes ATAG_Noofy, DerDa, farley, Argus_AIG (44) liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    114.10 MB

Quick observation and question.

The TFS practice server says "Tobruk" and version 4.99 needed....

Is it Christmas already?
    Win10 x64, i5-10600K CPU @ 4.1GHz, ASUS RTX 3060Ti 8GB, 16GB(DDR4 3600MHz XMP) RAM, Dell 2560x1440 27" 165hz, Microsoft FFB2, Edtracker(wireless).
    Nvidia driver version: 537.58

14. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits, Artist, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Christmas is not in July and 4.99 is not 5.00, right?

But as we're working on it, we need to test things, too.
    Last edited by Artist; Jul-01-2019 at 13:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    Christmas is not in July and 4.99 is not 5.00, right?

But as we're working on it, we need to test things, too.
    If you’re in need of test pilots you know where to knock

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    114.10 MB

Fab
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Didn’t mean to get ahead of myself.
    Just enjoying the almost daily TFS updates this week which look and sound fabulous.

My grateful thanks to all those involved for keeping this great sim moving forward.
    Win10 x64, i5-10600K CPU @ 4.1GHz, ASUS RTX 3060Ti 8GB, 16GB(DDR4 3600MHz XMP) RAM, Dell 2560x1440 27" 165hz, Microsoft FFB2, Edtracker(wireless).
    Nvidia driver version: 537.58

18. Likes farley, DerDa liked this post