Thread: Hi I'm reporting for duty :)

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Hi I'm reporting for duty :)

Hello,
    I'm Kaper and I look forward to flying with and against you. I'm new to simulation flying and don't have track-IR or a joystick so I am flying with my mouse and a playstation controller. I seem to have the basics of flying under control though. Maybe I'll invest in track-ir later on. Its a pitty the map doesn't reach to the Netherlands (where I live). Would have been lovely to fly over my house. Although my house didn't exist yet back then. Nevermind that. I've already met a few of you on the teamspeak server and I look forward to meeting more of you.
    Kind regards,
    Kaper (almost typed my actual name there! Pfffeeew! Privacy down the toilet! The horror! )

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: Hi I'm reporting for duty :)

Welcome....

I too have always hoped for the Benelux area. I have family in the Neverlambs.... Belgium and in Germany.

That said..... the current maps is bloomin' Marvelous anyway!.

And sight seeing rocks!

Welcome aboard!

'Seas

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Hello kaper, and welcome to the ATAG forums and servers,

Looking forward to seeing you in the skies.

Have fun!

4. Likes kaper, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hey Kaper........well done for finding your way onto the ATAG Forum and the 'Welcome' thread. You are most welcome!

It was great fun flying with you the other day, though we both failed to hit any ships with our Hurri Fb's. Never mind...next time we'll give 'em the old one - two!' You did really well, considering you have no joystick or Track Ir5. I think anybody on this Forum would tell you that getting a joystick and some sort of head tracking device are very important, especially if you intend to become competitive in this flight sim world of ours. There is a big choice in joysticks and some are not that expensive. I still use my trusty Microsoft Sidewinder II (non force feedback) and I think you can pick these up on Ebay for a reasonable price.

I could do with buying another one because my own has been shot down by JG 52 so many times it must be due to fall apart soon!!!! There is a lot of info on Head Tracking devices on this Forum. Do have a look. As I told you, Track Ir5 has come down in price and I heard of somebody who bought it two weeks ago, new, for £145 rather than the £165 it cost me three years ago. But it is a game changer. You would not regret the purchase!

You've already got Team Speak in place which is a fantastic tool when you want to find answers to problems quickly.....by word of mouth....and it's great to see that you have already met some of the happy fellows that make up this very special community of ours. I'm sure you are going to fit right in, Kaper, and 'have a ball' at the same time. I look forward to flying with you again and good luck....Salute!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Thanks a bunch everyone!

@ATAG_Highseas:
    Yes, the map exceeded my expectations in detail and visual quality overall.

@ATAG _Marlow:
    Yes it was a lot of fun! I have worked on my technique a bit in attacking the ships. Just flying faster than I did works wonders. I sunk 3 ships in a row the other day. Making progress. Next time we'll get them!

Sounds like it is a sturdy joystick if it lasted you that long. Would be a shame though if it brakes before you get a new one. It probably is a step up in amount of features and buttons if you get a new one though!

I am convinced that a joystick and a tracking device would make everything go a lot smoother (espessialy in a birdcage hurri). So I will be looking around on ebay and some other sites. Maybe I'll code my own head-tracking device! How hard can it be... (Probably not easy) May be a fun project. But first I'll check out the other available solutions.

Thanks again for the kind welcome guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Welcome træsko.jpg

If the game begins to take over your life and you are considering saying goodbye to your job
    Then it's time for Pedals, Joystick, Track iR
    Even a blind mosquito finds its way home

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

.........and we can help you with Profiles for your Track Ir5, Kaper. There are some very good one's on the Forum. The Track Ir5 is quite fiddley to set up but we can help with that and, as you say, there are some very helpful You Tube vids out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TASEXUd4Oto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PPsUCNYTnc&t=170s

If I can do it you'll have no probs at all! Congrats on sinking the three ships.....I think I might need another lesson soon! Have fun and good luck! Salute!

9. Likes ATAG_Scones, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ekko View Post
    If the game begins to take over your life and you are considering saying goodbye to your job
    Then it's time for Pedals, Joystick, Track iR
    Thanks! I had not even thought about needing pedals! I have two joysticks on my playstation controler... I'll just start with the tracking, thank you for the profile tips Marlow, and then I will look at joysticks and pedals.

11. Likes ATAG_Scones, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Welcome to the fun Kaper.

Look forward to flying with and against you too mate.

You have been in safe hands with Marlow. A fine young man.

Pattle

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Welcome kaper!

Just wanted to echo whats been mentioned already about the joystick. I highly recommend the Thrustmaster T16000M FCS stick. It is relatively cheap for the functionality. It has a 'twist-stick' rudder function so you dont have to spend more money on rudder pedals.

Hope you continue to enjoy yourself in this sim and here on the forums. Feel free to post any questions you might have here and don't be a stranger on the TS channel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Welcome aboard the fun train Kaper .

You've already received some excellent advice from my fellow squad mates and other Blitz enthusiasts and I can only echo their remarks .

I too look forward to winging up and locking horns with you in the not to distant .

Good Luck

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

15. Likes ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    Welcome kaper!

Just wanted to echo whats been mentioned already about the joystick. I highly recommend the Thrustmaster T16000M FCS stick. It is relatively cheap for the functionality. It has a 'twist-stick' rudder function so you dont have to spend more money on rudder pedals.

I'd second that!
    I'm flying since years with the thrustmaster.
    There might be better sticks around, but those cannot compete with the price of the Thrustmaster and it is much, much better than no stick

For head trackig you might want to check this thing posted by Karaya
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...221#post313221

Don't know if they are still available but it sounds very good.

S!

DerDa

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Pattle View Post
    Welcome to the fun Kaper.

Look forward to flying with and against you too mate.

You have been in safe hands with Marlow. A fine young man.

Pattle
    Marlow's not all that young
    Last edited by ATAG_Knight; May-10-2019 at 02:47.

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

18. Likes Little Bill liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Plus I have photographic evidence of Marlow as a young man.......not a pretty sight.

"A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

20. Likes ATAG_Scones, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Sure it's not a cave painting we can see on the discovery channel Vamps? Probably more historically and age appropriate

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    92.84 MB

Hi Kaper

Trust me, flying over your house in the game gets boring after a while. If you are not sure about the setup nor want to invest too much yet, please consider the EdTracker as an alternative to TRackIR. As for pedals, a HOTAS with a rocker arm, such as the Thrustmaster t16000m or Thrustmaster t-flight. Hope to see you up there again soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Pattle View Post
    Sure it's not a cave painting we can see on the discovery channel Vamps? Probably more historically and age appropriate

RIGHT! That's Knighty, Vamps and Pat all struck off the Christmas list! Jen make a note!

Pat is using 'young' as in the Australian usage....meaning anything under 80 is a youngster! By his interpretation I'm positively a 'spring chicken!' Ha ha!

(Kaper...don't be put off by these three naughty boys! You have to expect some 'bad apples' in every crop!) Salute

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    92.84 MB

I've been good though Marlow, haven't I? I'll still get my tenner in a card this year, right?
    Last edited by ATAG_Kulea; May-10-2019 at 09:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Kulea View Post
    I've been good though Marlow, haven't I? I'll still get my tenner in a card this year, right?

.......don't worry, Kue' you've gone straight to the top of the class, Mate! Unfortunately, I have to report that due to the cuts there will only be a fiver in the cards this year!

Love my cartoon, Sconesy! I also wanted to fly and that looks like the closest I'll ever get to it! Salute!

27. Likes ATAG_Knight, ATAG_Kulea, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Hi Kaper, and welcome to the community.

Good to see you getting stuck in. I have nothing more to add to what the guys above have already. A joystick and some kind of head tracking device are a must really, like Marlow I have a Microsoft Sidewinder 2, which is excellent, and they can be picked up quite cheaply on ebay.

As for head tracking, most use Track IR, although there are good cheaper alternatives out there such as Ed Tracker and Track hat.

It's great that you've got yourself on Teamspeak, it's the best way to get any help and advice that you need, but also be sure to check out the beginners guide.

Good luck, and above all, Have fun

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Thanks guys! I will check out all the mentioned tools for headtracking and joysticks.