Thread: Questions about WOTR

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Questions about WOTR

I'm curious about WOTR, but I do have a number of questions. I apologise if any of these questions are covered on the WOTR website and I have just missed the information.

Does WOTR still have an actual dependency on CFS3 beyond licencing?

Story time: One of the things that put me off WOFF many moons ago was that, besides what seemed like an exorbitant cost for a mod (didn't it used to be about $60 or $80, or am I just imagining things?), it required an install of Combat Flight Simulator 3 but I could never get it to start on my PC at the time, so I never wanted to risk taking the plunge with WOFF. I see that times have changed and the requirements for both WOFF and WOTR now say: "It is not needed to physically install it, but please make sure you own a copy." If the game is not required to be installed, or even the disc in the drive, how does it check you have a copy?

Are the problems mapping VKB joysticks fully sorted out?

How is the current state of the game? It's obviously still a work in progress, so is there any firm idea of what other flyable aircraft will be added to the base game?

Is there a full campaign mode for both RAF and Luftwaffe?

Again, sorry for all the questions, but if someone has the answers then maybe they'll also be useful for others to see here.

Cheers,

Pans

Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Re: Questions about WOTR

Hmmmm maybe there all asleep Pans

Hals und beinbruch
    Oberleutnant - Otto Meyer
    "Gelb Acht"
    9.Staffel / Jagdgeschwader 52
    (Karaya)

In memory of 9./JG52 Ziegler, Vermisse dich mein Freund

http://www.9jg52.com/

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Does WOTR still have an actual dependency on CFS3 beyond licencing?

--- NO

Story time: One of the things that put me off WOFF many moons ago was that, besides what seemed like an exorbitant cost for a mod (didn't it used to be about $60 or $80, or am I just imagining things?), it required an install of Combat Flight Simulator 3 but I could never get it to start on my PC at the time, so I never wanted to risk taking the plunge with WOFF. I see that times have changed and the requirements for both WOFF and WOTR now say: "It is not needed to physically install it, but please make sure you own a copy." If the game is not required to be installed, or even the disc in the drive, how does it check you have a copy?

---- Well WOFF UE has 80 flyable aircraft 6500 fully researched historical skins, the best WW1 dynamic campaign bar none, and a lot more stuff so for many that's worth $80, especially in a niche market. Currently, it's peanuts for all that, at $29.99.

-----You are required to own CFS3, it doesn't physically check no. Whilst WOFF and WOTR both run great on Windows 10, the original CFS3 needs tweaks and the DX9 shader mod to make it run well on Windows 10, so even MS wouldn't expect you to install it. So they don't check the CFS3 disk or install, etc. It's an honor thing.

----- Yes I have a Ravcore Javaline (VBK clone) and it works fine. You can fly without configuring in abasic way, but obviously you need to bind the fire button etc given they are something like button 14 in windows !

How is the current state of the game? It's obviously still a work in progress, so is there any firm idea of what other flyable aircraft will be added to the base game?

----- Currently, there are 3 flyable aircraft Hurricane Mk I late, Bf109 E4, Spitfire Mk Ia. The Spitfire was added for free recently in a downloadable update. Any other aircraft that are released would not be free. Most people who fly it in the forums like it very much some positive comments on the forum and website. There was a PC Pilot Mag interview recently on WOTR, and a review coming at some point.

Is there a full campaign mode for both RAF and Luftwaffe?

----- YES as a Bf109 pilot.
    Last edited by Slice; May-16-2019 at 11:45.

4. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Pans liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Slice View Post

----- Yes I have a Ravcore Javaline (VBK clone) and it works fine. You can fly without configuring in abasic way, but obviously you need to bind the fire button etc given they are something like button 14 in windows !
    Although set button #14 (trigger) for fire weapons is a simple thing to do - unless games controls don't allow re-assign(?),
    for VKB Gladiator are available profiles in what triggers is button # 1.
    Not applicable for Ravcore Javelin because firmware of this OEM version is locked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Hi Slice,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply, and also I notice your first post - welcome to the ATAG forum!

---- Well WOFF UE has 80 flyable aircraft 6500 fully researched historical skins, the best WW1 dynamic campaign bar none, and a lot more stuff so for many that's worth $80, especially in a niche market. Currently, it's peanuts for all that, at $29.99.
    Don't worry, I wasn't questioning the worth of WOFF; I know it's something that's had an awful lot of work put into it over many years. My reluctance was simply down to paying so much not knowing whether it would actually run on my machine!

I'm also pleased to hear that I wouldn't need to go digging in the garage to see if I still had CFS3!

Supporting Member Blade_Meister's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.48 GB

Sorry Gents, real life has had me in a stranglehold lately. Slice, thank you very much taking the reins and answering all of JG52 Pan's question. That was most decent of you Sir. WOTR is a very good single player CFS Pan, hope you will try it or WOFF UE.

S!Blade<><

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    113.86 MB

I'd buy it in a second if it had VR support.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

I think the problem is if no one buys it then VR definitely won't come. In air combat sims, the sheer amount of time required to produce a finished deal with authentic or historical details, detailed accurate 3d models, detailed code for AI, good campaign, good multiplayer etc is usually more so than other types of games often with less sales. At least there are a handful of decent combat sims around at the moment but I doubt there will many in the near future. All these flight sims need support to carry on to add more.
    Some recent flight sims start with just a few aircraft and if you buy in they add more options over time, the "early access" mode is becoming the norm due to the need for more funding to keep going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    544.81 MB

I've read a couple of reviews, and I'm tempted. I never really got on with CFS3, but the one thing which made it worth persisting was the Just Flight Battle of Britain add-on. Is WotR close enough to CFS3 for the aircraft to be compatible, or have things moved on too far for that? Or is WotR simply so much better as to make them unnecessary?
    Rats! Why doesn't anything work properly first time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

I think the problem is if no one buys it then VR definitely won't come. .
    Your either in the game or your not in the game. VR is the game, flight sims without it will slowly whither and die to be remembered fondly by the surviving small group of players with breath still left in their lungs
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.48 GB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Sp00k View Post
    Your either in the game or your not in the game. VR is the game, flight sims without it will slowly whither and die to be remembered fondly by the surviving small group of players with breath still left in their lungs
    IMHO I disagree with this statement. The percentage of Sim flyers who actually own VR is still very small. I get it that VR is probably the future of flight Sims, but we are still many years off from VR users being the majority and actually pulling enough weight in purchasing flight sims to make your statement true. As of right now non VR users make 90% or more of the flight sim purchases, so while Developers are casting an eye towards developing their sims to work fluently with VR, I honestly don't think that Developers feel threatened as to whether their products will be successful and monetarily profitable if VR users don't buy it. There have been a small group(percentage wise vs. non VR users) of VR users demanding this sim and that sim support VR for a few years now and I don't see any developer putting major effort into using a majority of their budget or time to make VR the mainline attraction of there sim. If and when the cost of purchasing VR comes down to under 500$ lets say, for a high resolution high quality experience, then I can see VR becoming more mainstream. As of right now, it is just to expensive and it does not provide the graphic quality of the 2D visual experience. Again, this is IMHO for what it is worth. I have nothing against VR or those who use it. I do get tired of hearing how Developers should drop everything else and support VR or their sim will not be successful. That is just a bunch of BS and we are still many years from that being the case, if it ever happens at all. Yes I am old school and dam(n) proud of it. Certainly not ashamed to be old school either.

S!Blade<><

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blade_Meister View Post
    The percentage of Sim flyers who actually own VR is still very small.
    I saw a recent report from Steam that indicated around 1% of users had a VR headset. Probably the most zealous players, but still a small number.

I think that price is not the only thing holding VR back. The headsets need to be higher resolution, wireless and lighter. When this starts happening that 1% number could change quickly.

Just to put things in perspective, I remember the first time I used a VR headset. It was 30 years ago at 'World of Commodore' and the set was driven by an Amiga 4000. Even then it was going to be the next big thing.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

Just bought the game. I never can have enough good Bf-109 simulations to play with..

The screenshots posted here brought me to take a closer look. Somehow I've overlooked this series.

15. Likes Blade_Meister liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.48 GB

Well I hope you enjoy it von Graf. It certainly does have its' place among good Combat Flight Sims. The Campaign is really good but of course the dogfights are where it's at, with some of the best AI in any CFS. Be sure to check out the main forum at SimHQ Sir. FAQS, Tech questions and mods at the top of this WOTR main page.
    https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...over-the-reich

Check out my 'Wings Over The Reich: War Stories From The Battle Of Britain!' here---> https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...in#Post4501509

S!Blade<><
    Last edited by Blade_Meister; Sep-28-2020 at 18:38.

17. Likes von Graf liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

I read the FAQ and a lot of stuff on the site but I can't find the part where it's explained where I can download the game. Maybe I've overlooked something though, no problem.
    Do I need an account somewhere? I got only the Paypal confirmation until now.
    Thanks in advance!

19. Likes Blade_Meister liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.48 GB

Quote Originally Posted by von Graf View Post
    I read the FAQ and a lot of stuff on the site but I can't find the part where it's explained where I can download the game. Maybe I've overlooked something though, no problem.
    Do I need an account somewhere? I got only the Paypal confirmation until now.
    Thanks in advance!
    You know von Graf, it has been so long that I am embarrassed to say I don't remember. I think in your confirmation email they should have given you a code? or password??? and you go to this site to download it.
    http://www.overflandersfields.com/wotr_website/
    Hope that helps. If not, make a post asking Pol about it in the main WOTR thread below the stickied section. I will keep my eyes out for it and if Pol doesn't answer for some reason, I will PM him for you. I will keep an eye out to make sure you get this straightened ASAP Sir. Sorry for your trouble.

S!Blade<><
    Last edited by Blade_Meister; Oct-04-2020 at 23:48.

21. Likes von Graf liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

No problem. Thanks for your help.

23. Likes Blade_Meister liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.48 GB

So, I am curious to know, did you achieve the download and install of WOTR Sir? I haven' seen any post by you on the SimHQ WOTR thread Sir?

S!Blade<><

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

Thanks for asking.

I made an account but it's not approved yet but my email is verified. I'll check again the next days when I'm home again.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blade_Meister View Post
    So, I am curious to know, did you achieve the download and install of WOTR Sir? I haven' seen any post by you on the SimHQ WOTR thread Sir?

S!Blade<><
    It's all good, the download link went to my 2nd email address. Somehow I forgot and didn't check this mail account.

Nice that you did offer your help, just in case. That's very friendly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.48 GB

Good to read that you have it sorted Sir. Be sure to pick up the Map Mod in this link as the original in game map is rubbish. Hope you enjoy WOTR Sir.

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...20#Post4520153

S!Blade<><