View Poll Results: Does an RAF Bomber Command / LW NJG role play campaign server interest you?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I’m interested in bumping around in the night....

22 78.57%
  • No thanks, I’ll stick to daylight scuffles....

6 21.43%

Thread: Idea for RAF Bomber Command / LW NJG Server

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    873 Bytes

Idea for RAF Bomber Command / LW NJG Server

With the (hopefully soon) upcoming release of TF's Vickers Wellington, I had the thought of an idea for pilots who dared to brave the night skies in the RAF's legendary "Wimpy" in a multiplayer server setting.

Taking inspiration from servers such as GhostSkies and other campaign oriented servers, I thought it would be interesting if we could get crews formed for Wellington missions into occupied France, having players fill gunner, bombardier positions to form semi-permanent crews that would fly together on a regular basis, even having custom skins with names and nose art for that specific crew. I also thought it would be interesting to go one step further and have players act as operations officers and plan sorties and create briefings based on recon photos and flights flown by players in a PRU. On the other side, I envision Bf 110 and 109 pilots prowling the skies to combat these sorties, with there also being command roles for intel and the like.

I was able to find a couple RAF Bomber Command squadrons that flew Wellingtons from airfields depicted on the CloD map during the time period, such as 12 and 40 Squadrons out of RAF Eastchurch, 57 and 15 Squadrons out of RAF Wyton (just out of map boundary north of London) and 109 Squadron out of RAF Boscombe Down. There is also the option to create a fictional squadron. I don't believe any NJG's were based out of airfields depicted on the map, so a solution would have to be rectified there.

I am posting this just to gauge interest and collect suggestions/concerns/insight into whether the idea is even possible and/or worth pursuing.

Thanks for your interest and happy flying!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: Idea for RAF Bomber Command / LW NJG Server

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson8294 View Post
    With the (hopefully soon) upcoming release of TF's Vickers Wellington, I had the thought of an idea for pilots who dared to brave the night skies in the RAF's legendary "Wimpy" in a multiplayer server setting.

Taking inspiration from servers such as GhostSkies and other campaign oriented servers, I thought it would be interesting if we could get crews formed for Wellington missions into occupied France, having players fill gunner, bombardier positions to form semi-permanent crews that would fly together on a regular basis, even having custom skins with names and nose art for that specific crew. I also thought it would be interesting to go one step further and have players act as operations officers and plan sorties and create briefings based on recon photos and flights flown by players in a PRU. On the other side, I envision Bf 110 and 109 pilots prowling the skies to combat these sorties, with there also being command roles for intel and the like.

I was able to find a couple RAF Bomber Command squadrons that flew Wellingtons from airfields depicted on the CloD map during the time period, such as 12 and 40 Squadrons out of RAF Eastchurch, 57 and 15 Squadrons out of RAF Wyton (just out of map boundary north of London) and 109 Squadron out of RAF Boscombe Down. There is also the option to create a fictional squadron. I don't believe any NJG's were based out of airfields depicted on the map, so a solution would have to be rectified there.

I am posting this just to gauge interest and collect suggestions/concerns/insight into whether the idea is even possible and/or worth pursuing.

Thanks for your interest and happy flying!
    Great idea.
    You can count on me to hunt you (haunt you?) in a 110
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    873 Bytes

I'll be looking forward to it! Just gotta find us first although I am partial to the 110, I flew it in exclusively for awhile on BoS/BoM in the beginning; such a wonderful aircraft. Never any night flying though!

Have any input for the LW side in regards to the airfields the 110's would operate out of since? Unfortunately the map doesn't extend too far east for more targets and airfields.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

For historical accuracy we’ll have to play the night flights over north Africa in the Tobruk 5.0 edition...
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

5. Likes Nelson8294, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    873 Bytes

North Africa would also be a very valid option, I was amazed at the number of Wellington units based in North Africa during early 1941.

7. Likes ATAG_Noofy, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

That would be pretty great with the new Welly nearly on paper!

Never done much bombing but wouldn't mind a pilot slot! However I can imagine that pilot slots are going to be pretty overwhelmed

(Have had a quick exchange with Lord Wukits about online training events for bomber crews with the Welly, doable with HE111s and also the Bleny's too.)
    Last edited by ATAG_TCP; May-21-2019 at 04:20.

9. Likes ATAG_Noofy, Nelson8294 liked this post