Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

  1. #1
    Admin ATAG_Snapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.92 MB

    Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Hey everyone,

    After some testing in the Tiger Moth Shoot Out tournies, we have enabled custom skins on a trial basis in the ATAG Server. This will be of special interest to squads, plus those gifted individuals with creative painting talent.

    A couple of requests:

    1) Please keep your custom skins to 500K (or less) in size to avoid stutters, freezes, or lags for everyone upon spawning in.

    2) Please keep your custom skins “historically plausible” so as not to ruin the immersion of your fellow players. This means no neon pink 109’s or Hurricanes with bright yellow noses. But now those 110 pilots can sport their beloved shark’s jaws, and squads can carry their distinctive insignia.

    We’ll try this for awhile and see if all runs OK.

    Cheers!

    Snapper


    i7 4770K @3.5 GHZ, 24 Gigs DDR3 1600 DIMM, Gigabyte GTX970 4 Gig, Win 10 64 bit, TrackIR 5, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog Throttle, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals

  2. #2
    ATAG Member ATAG_DRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    71.41 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Awesome!

    The Italian Stallions will have to put this to the test.

    I’ll double check the size, and compress if necessary.


    The 119th will love this.

  3. #3
    Student Pilot
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.49 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    That's no fun to restrict the talent that some of us have in making wild colors on there aircraft. That's what I like about doing reskins.

  4. #4
    Admin ATAG_Snapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.92 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by Logan20163 View Post
    That's no fun to restrict the talent that some of us have in making wild colors on there aircraft. That's what I like about doing reskins.
    It’s for the greater good, old chap. Haven’t you heard? There’s a war on, mate!



    i7 4770K @3.5 GHZ, 24 Gigs DDR3 1600 DIMM, Gigabyte GTX970 4 Gig, Win 10 64 bit, TrackIR 5, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog Throttle, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals

  5. #5
    ATAG Member ATAG_DRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    71.41 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by Logan20163 View Post
    That's no fun to restrict the talent that some of us have in making wild colors on there aircraft. That's what I like about doing reskins.
    HaHaHa. The Red Baron’s great grandson strikes again.

    You may have to keep it in the DD hanger along with my Zebra Spitfire and aluminum foil Moth.lol

  6. #6
    Supporting Member Nightdare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Neverlands
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    It’s for the greater good, old chap. Haven’t you heard? There’s a war on, mate!

    ...b-but how can you fight a war without neon pink with yellow polka dot Blenheims?
    Je Maintiendrai

    PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k / MSI Z370 PC Pro / Corsair BX 2x16Gb / Kingston A400, 120 GB SSD / Corsair CT120 M500 SSD / MSI Geforce GTX970 Gaming 4G / Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

    "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

  7. #7
    Student Pilot
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.49 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Right! Showing our true colors on our planes are what makes it fun to play, I'm more into the non-historical(Fictional skinning as I like coming up with different colors and blending them to make the planes stand out from the rest.

  8. #8
    ATAG Member ATAG_DRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    71.41 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by Logan20163 View Post
    Right! Showing our true colors on our planes are what makes it fun to play, I'm more into the non-historical(Fictional skinning as I like coming up with different colors and blending them to make the planes stand out from the rest.
    Please don’t kill it for the rest of us, my friend.

  9. #9
    Admin ATAG_Snapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.92 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by Logan20163 View Post
    Right! Showing our true colors on our planes are what makes it fun to play, I'm more into the non-historical(Fictional skinning as I like coming up with different colors and blending them to make the planes stand out from the rest.
    And more power to you - just not on the ATAG Server. There are a lot of people who work behind the scenes to keep the ATAG Server running 24/7 free of charge for everyone to enjoy for free. The idea behind the ATAG Server is that it’s a sandbox running different missions - some based on historical events, others on historical “what if” plausibility, set in 1940. Anyone can hop into their favourite available aircraft of that period and take to the skies, knowing that their team mates and opponents will be accurately represented. To suddenly be confronted with an aircraft painted in outlandish colours & designs would jarringly destroy their suspension of disbelief. That is NOT what the ATAG Server is about.

    There are other, wonderful servers that enable custom skins and encourage radical paint schemes. And that’s fantastic. As I’ve said elsewhere, the servers in Blitz all complement the other - something for everyone: custom skins, icons, dynamic campaigns, simplified engine management, etc.

    Please let ATAG be ATAG.

    Snapper


    i7 4770K @3.5 GHZ, 24 Gigs DDR3 1600 DIMM, Gigabyte GTX970 4 Gig, Win 10 64 bit, TrackIR 5, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog Throttle, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals

  10. #10
    Admin ATAG_Snapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.92 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    So, I’ve just received a report of a Spitfire sporting a bright yellow nose and tail on the ATAG Server at 10:45 GMT this morning. It’s very easy to determine who this is. There is no way this could ever be construed as being “historically plausible”. This defeats the whole idea of why we enabled custom skins. Surely everyone here can understand that, even if you don’t personally agree with it.

    A note will be PM’d to the pilot in question asking for the courtesy of following the server rules. For the long term, a question for the community:

    1. Do we acknowledge this custom marking idea is a failure, and disable it?

    2. Do we accept the creative freedom of a few supersedes the enjoyment of the many?

    3. Do we take whatever steps are necessary to ensure custom-skins remain enabled per the conditions laid out in my OP?

    Believe me, I take no pleasure in posting this, but it’s always the way, isn’t it?

    Sincerely,

    Snapper


    i7 4770K @3.5 GHZ, 24 Gigs DDR3 1600 DIMM, Gigabyte GTX970 4 Gig, Win 10 64 bit, TrackIR 5, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog Throttle, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals

  11. #11
    ATAG Member ATAG_DRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    71.41 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    So, I’ve just received a report of a Spitfire sporting a bright yellow nose and tail on the ATAG Server at 10:45 GMT this morning. It’s very easy to determine who this is. There is no way this could ever be construed as being “historically plausible”. This defeats the whole idea of why we enabled custom skins. Surely everyone here can understand that, even if you don’t personally agree with it.

    A note will be PM’d to the pilot in question asking for the courtesy of following the server rules. For the long term, a question for the community:

    1. Do we acknowledge this custom marking idea is a failure, and disable it?

    2. Do we accept the creative freedom of a few supersedes the enjoyment of the many?

    3. Do we take whatever steps are necessary to ensure custom-skins remain enabled per the conditions laid out in my OP?

    Believe me, I take no pleasure in posting this, but it’s always the way, isn’t it?

    Sincerely,

    Snapper
    Was this just observed, or did someone complain?


    Not sure if he’s tricking anyone, but nice try.lol

  12. #12
    Admin ATAG_Snapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.92 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_DRock View Post
    Was this just observed, or did someone complain?
    It was PM’d to me as a heads up.

    Conceivably a 109 pilot would allow a yellow-nosed Spit to acquire a firing solution on it before realizing it was the enemy and not a team mate forming up. It would be difficult to believe that was not the intention.


    i7 4770K @3.5 GHZ, 24 Gigs DDR3 1600 DIMM, Gigabyte GTX970 4 Gig, Win 10 64 bit, TrackIR 5, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog Throttle, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals

  13. Likes ATAG_DRock, ATAG_Scones, ATAG_Knight liked this post
  14. #13
    ATAG Member ATAG_DRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    71.41 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    It was PM’d to me as a heads up.

    Conceivably a 109 pilot would allow a yellow-nosed Spit to acquire a firing solution on it before realizing it was the enemy and not a team mate forming up. It would be difficult to believe that was not the intention.
    Like I said, nice try.lol

  15. #14
    Admin ATAG_Snapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.92 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_DRock View Post
    Like I said, nice try.lol
    The source was beyond dispute. We can go to PM; you’ll see what I mean.



    i7 4770K @3.5 GHZ, 24 Gigs DDR3 1600 DIMM, Gigabyte GTX970 4 Gig, Win 10 64 bit, TrackIR 5, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog Throttle, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals

  16. Likes ATAG_DRock liked this post
  17. #15
    ATAG Member ATAG_DRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    71.41 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    The source was beyond dispute. We can go to PM; you’ll see what I mean.

    Sorry, by tricking us, I meant he was trying to disguise his spit as a 109.

    I find that rather humorous.


    There’s no disputing the claim.
    Last edited by ATAG_DRock; Jun-09-2019 at 18:26.

  18. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  19. #16
    Admin ATAG_Snapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.92 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_DRock View Post
    Sorry, by tricking us, I meant he was trying to disguise his spit as a 109.

    I find that rather humorous.


    There’s no disputing the claim.
    Roger that!

    Actually, just talking to my “heads up source” he said he and his wingman were chasing 3 109’s, but it turned out one of ‘em was the yellow-nosed Spit. Good thing these two chaps were careful to identify their targets! LOL



    i7 4770K @3.5 GHZ, 24 Gigs DDR3 1600 DIMM, Gigabyte GTX970 4 Gig, Win 10 64 bit, TrackIR 5, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog Throttle, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals

  20. Likes ATAG_DRock liked this post
  21. #17
    Supporting Member Nightdare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Neverlands
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Roger that!

    Actually, just talking to my “heads up source” he said he and his wingman were chasing 3 109’s, but it turned out one of ‘em was the yellow-nosed Spit. Good thing these two chaps were careful to identify their targets! LOL

    I would take out the yellow-nosed spit first,.. just to be safe
    Je Maintiendrai

    PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k / MSI Z370 PC Pro / Corsair BX 2x16Gb / Kingston A400, 120 GB SSD / Corsair CT120 M500 SSD / MSI Geforce GTX970 Gaming 4G / Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

    "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

  22. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  23. #18
    Student Pilot Dingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    57.89 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Is the 69th squadron skin the problem?
    Nose is red and yellow checks, whole tail is yellow, not just the rudder like 109's
    It's been around for a while.
    It's very easy to tell the difference between a 109 and a Spit regardless of colour.

    Trying to trick people???? Hahaha, im always impressed with the lengths conspiracy theorists can go to trying to prove their point.
    I'll go back to vanilla on the ATAG server so others don't get upset.

  24. #19
    ATAG Member ATAG_DRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    71.41 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
    Is the 69th squadron skin the problem?
    Nose is red and yellow checks, whole tail is yellow, not just the rudder like 109's
    It's been around for a while.
    It's very easy to tell the difference between a 109 and a Spit regardless of colour.

    Trying to trick people???? Hahaha, im always impressed with the lengths conspiracy theorists can go to trying to prove their point.
    I'll go back to vanilla on the ATAG server so others don't get upset.
    Hi, Dingo.

    I have no problem with your skins.

    You’re right, identifying Spits from 109s is easy, and like Snapper said, the 109 is probably guns hot before yellow shows up.lol

    My comment about “tricking” was referring to someone trying to trick the enemy with yellow nose. It was a joke, and I had no idea who was sporting it, nor do I think it’s a problem.

    Sorry, if the joke wasn’t clear. (Or funny)

    Not sure what you mean by conspiracy, and don’t go back to vanilla please.

    Cheers, Mate.

  25. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Gingerbread, ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
  26. #20
    Ace sw1ive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Hellas Athenss
    Posts
    1,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    937.21 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Thanks Snapper !!!!!!!!

  27. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  28. #21
    Supporting Member Tibsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Total Downloaded
    112.46 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    The biggest downside to this are the lag spikes everytime. I'd like to have that fix before enable that.
    Never understood why some skins that come with cliffs like the shark skin isn't in the squadron skin selection. No need for custom skin in th squadron skin list.

  29. #22
    Admin ATAG_Snapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.92 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    That’s exactly what we want to evaluate. Has anyone else experienced lag/stutters/freezes on the ATAG Server since we enabled custom skins four days ago?

    I haven’t had the chance to go online yet to see for myself.


    i7 4770K @3.5 GHZ, 24 Gigs DDR3 1600 DIMM, Gigabyte GTX970 4 Gig, Win 10 64 bit, TrackIR 5, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog Throttle, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals

  30. #23
    ATAG Member ATAG_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Horley , Surrey , England , UK
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    90.07 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    That’s exactly what we want to evaluate. Has anyone else experienced lag/stutters/freezes on the ATAG Server since we enabled custom skins four days ago?

    I haven’t had the chance to go online yet to see for myself.
    Not as yet Snapper ...I've flown twice , not had a twich .

    "Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

    Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX1060 6GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals .

  31. Likes ATAG_DRock, ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
  32. #24
    Supporting Member DUI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    0

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Custom skins are the way to go! I keep the fingers crossed that everything will turn out nicely.

    I flew with three squadron mates (each with a custom skin) and no issues at all. It was a rather empty server with under 10 pilots though.

  33. Likes ATAG_DRock, ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
  34. #25
    ATAG Member ATAG_DRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    71.41 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Lots of skins loaded yesterday without any noticeable stutters, with ~15 pilots on.

    Loaded fast, too.


    Soon, we will be able to test this with big numbers online.

  35. #26
    Admin ATAG_Snapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.92 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_DRock View Post
    Lots of skins loaded yesterday without any noticeable stutters, with ~15 pilots on.

    Loaded fast, too.


    Soon, we will be able to test this with big numbers online.
    Good feedback. It’s good to get some quantifiable numbers (ie 15+ players).

    Looks promising!


    i7 4770K @3.5 GHZ, 24 Gigs DDR3 1600 DIMM, Gigabyte GTX970 4 Gig, Win 10 64 bit, TrackIR 5, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog Throttle, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals

  36. Likes ATAG_DRock, ATAG_Ribbs, ATAG_Knight liked this post
  37. #27
    Combat pilot No.119_Marshy (VK-M)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    0

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    how accurate, historically, do we have to be? the server being Battle of Britain, is my Seafire skin too late, as they didn't make it to the party until 1942?Seafire M3.jpgSeafire M1.jpg

  38. Likes ATAG_DRock, ATAG_Noofy liked this post
  39. #28
    ATAG Member ATAG_DRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    71.41 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by No.119_Marshy (VK-M) View Post
    how accurate, historically, do we have to be? the server being Battle of Britain, is my Seafire skin too late, as they didn't make it to the party until 1942?Seafire M3.jpgSeafire M1.jpg
    Go nuts, Marshy.

    The rule was to minimize crazy coloured aircraft with large file sizes.

  40. Likes No.119_Marshy (VK-M), ATAG_Noofy liked this post
  41. #29
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Noofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    GMT+2
    Posts
    570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    744.03 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_DRock View Post
    Go nuts, Marshy.

    The rule was to minimize crazy coloured aircraft with large file sizes.
    Yeah, like pistachio G50’s and the likes
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    T16000M FCS HOTAS | CH_PRO Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.0 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

  42. Likes ATAG_DRock, No.119_Marshy (VK-M) liked this post
  43. #30
    ATAG Member ATAG_DRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    71.41 MB

    Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    Yeah, like pistachio G50’s and the likes
    You’re still two tones away from offensive.

  44. Likes ATAG_Noofy, No.119_Marshy (VK-M) liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •