Thread: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

Hey everyone,

After some testing in the Tiger Moth Shoot Out tournies, we have enabled custom skins on a trial basis in the ATAG Server. This will be of special interest to squads, plus those gifted individuals with creative painting talent.

A couple of requests:

1) Please keep your custom skins to 500K (or less) in size to avoid stutters, freezes, or lags for everyone upon spawning in.

2) Please keep your custom skins “historically plausible” so as not to ruin the immersion of your fellow players. This means no neon pink 109’s or Hurricanes with bright yellow noses. But now those 110 pilots can sport their beloved shark’s jaws, and squads can carry their distinctive insignia.

We’ll try this for awhile and see if all runs OK.

Cheers!

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Re: Custom Skins Enabled on the ATAG Server!

Awesome!

The Italian Stallions will have to put this to the test.

I’ll double check the size, and compress if necessary.

The 119th will love this.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.49 MB

That's no fun to restrict the talent that some of us have in making wild colors on there aircraft. That's what I like about doing reskins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Logan20163 View Post
    That's no fun to restrict the talent that some of us have in making wild colors on there aircraft. That's what I like about doing reskins.
    It’s for the greater good, old chap. Haven’t you heard? There’s a war on, mate!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

HaHaHa. The Red Baron’s great grandson strikes again.

You may have to keep it in the DD hanger along with my Zebra Spitfire and aluminum foil Moth.lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    It’s for the greater good, old chap. Haven’t you heard? There’s a war on, mate!

...b-but how can you fight a war without neon pink with yellow polka dot Blenheims?
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.49 MB

Right! Showing our true colors on our planes are what makes it fun to play, I'm more into the non-historical(Fictional skinning as I like coming up with different colors and blending them to make the planes stand out from the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Right! Showing our true colors on our planes are what makes it fun to play, I'm more into the non-historical(Fictional skinning as I like coming up with different colors and blending them to make the planes stand out from the rest.
    Please don’t kill it for the rest of us, my friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

And more power to you - just not on the ATAG Server. There are a lot of people who work behind the scenes to keep the ATAG Server running 24/7 free of charge for everyone to enjoy for free. The idea behind the ATAG Server is that it’s a sandbox running different missions - some based on historical events, others on historical “what if” plausibility, set in 1940. Anyone can hop into their favourite available aircraft of that period and take to the skies, knowing that their team mates and opponents will be accurately represented. To suddenly be confronted with an aircraft painted in outlandish colours & designs would jarringly destroy their suspension of disbelief. That is NOT what the ATAG Server is about.

There are other, wonderful servers that enable custom skins and encourage radical paint schemes. And that’s fantastic. As I’ve said elsewhere, the servers in Blitz all complement the other - something for everyone: custom skins, icons, dynamic campaigns, simplified engine management, etc.

Please let ATAG be ATAG.

Snapper

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

So, I’ve just received a report of a Spitfire sporting a bright yellow nose and tail on the ATAG Server at 10:45 GMT this morning. It’s very easy to determine who this is. There is no way this could ever be construed as being “historically plausible”. This defeats the whole idea of why we enabled custom skins. Surely everyone here can understand that, even if you don’t personally agree with it.

A note will be PM’d to the pilot in question asking for the courtesy of following the server rules. For the long term, a question for the community:

1. Do we acknowledge this custom marking idea is a failure, and disable it?

2. Do we accept the creative freedom of a few supersedes the enjoyment of the many?

3. Do we take whatever steps are necessary to ensure custom-skins remain enabled per the conditions laid out in my OP?

Believe me, I take no pleasure in posting this, but it’s always the way, isn’t it?

Sincerely,

Snapper

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

So, I’ve just received a report of a Spitfire sporting a bright yellow nose and tail on the ATAG Server at 10:45 GMT this morning. It’s very easy to determine who this is. There is no way this could ever be construed as being “historically plausible”. This defeats the whole idea of why we enabled custom skins. Surely everyone here can understand that, even if you don’t personally agree with it.

A note will be PM’d to the pilot in question asking for the courtesy of following the server rules. For the long term, a question for the community:

1. Do we acknowledge this custom marking idea is a failure, and disable it?

2. Do we accept the creative freedom of a few supersedes the enjoyment of the many?

3. Do we take whatever steps are necessary to ensure custom-skins remain enabled per the conditions laid out in my OP?

Believe me, I take no pleasure in posting this, but it’s always the way, isn’t it?

Sincerely,

Snapper
    Was this just observed, or did someone complain?

Not sure if he’s tricking anyone, but nice try.lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_DRock View Post
    Was this just observed, or did someone complain?
    It was PM’d to me as a heads up.

Conceivably a 109 pilot would allow a yellow-nosed Spit to acquire a firing solution on it before realizing it was the enemy and not a team mate forming up. It would be difficult to believe that was not the intention.

13. Likes DRock, ATAG_Scones, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

It was PM’d to me as a heads up.

Conceivably a 109 pilot would allow a yellow-nosed Spit to acquire a firing solution on it before realizing it was the enemy and not a team mate forming up. It would be difficult to believe that was not the intention.
    Like I said, nice try.lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Like I said, nice try.lol
    The source was beyond dispute. We can go to PM; you’ll see what I mean.

16. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

The source was beyond dispute. We can go to PM; you’ll see what I mean.

Sorry, by tricking us, I meant he was trying to disguise his spit as a 109.

I find that rather humorous.

There’s no disputing the claim.
    Last edited by DRock; Jun-09-2019 at 18:26.

18. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Sorry, by tricking us, I meant he was trying to disguise his spit as a 109.

I find that rather humorous.

There’s no disputing the claim.
    Roger that!

Actually, just talking to my “heads up source” he said he and his wingman were chasing 3 109’s, but it turned out one of ‘em was the yellow-nosed Spit. Good thing these two chaps were careful to identify their targets! LOL

20. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Roger that!

Actually, just talking to my “heads up source” he said he and his wingman were chasing 3 109’s, but it turned out one of ‘em was the yellow-nosed Spit. Good thing these two chaps were careful to identify their targets! LOL

I would take out the yellow-nosed spit first,.. just to be safe
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

22. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.89 MB

Is the 69th squadron skin the problem?
    Nose is red and yellow checks, whole tail is yellow, not just the rudder like 109's
    It's been around for a while.
    It's very easy to tell the difference between a 109 and a Spit regardless of colour.

Trying to trick people???? Hahaha, im always impressed with the lengths conspiracy theorists can go to trying to prove their point.
    I'll go back to vanilla on the ATAG server so others don't get upset.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
    Is the 69th squadron skin the problem?
    Nose is red and yellow checks, whole tail is yellow, not just the rudder like 109's
    It's been around for a while.
    It's very easy to tell the difference between a 109 and a Spit regardless of colour.

Trying to trick people???? Hahaha, im always impressed with the lengths conspiracy theorists can go to trying to prove their point.
    I'll go back to vanilla on the ATAG server so others don't get upset.
    Hi, Dingo.

I have no problem with your skins.

You’re right, identifying Spits from 109s is easy, and like Snapper said, the 109 is probably guns hot before yellow shows up.lol

My comment about “tricking” was referring to someone trying to trick the enemy with yellow nose. It was a joke, and I had no idea who was sporting it, nor do I think it’s a problem.

Sorry, if the joke wasn’t clear. (Or funny)

Not sure what you mean by conspiracy, and don’t go back to vanilla please.

Cheers, Mate.

25. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Gingerbread, ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.63 MB

Thanks Snapper !!!!!!!!

27. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

The biggest downside to this are the lag spikes everytime. I'd like to have that fix before enable that.
    Never understood why some skins that come with cliffs like the shark skin isn't in the squadron skin selection. No need for custom skin in th squadron skin list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

That’s exactly what we want to evaluate. Has anyone else experienced lag/stutters/freezes on the ATAG Server since we enabled custom skins four days ago?

I haven’t had the chance to go online yet to see for myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

That’s exactly what we want to evaluate. Has anyone else experienced lag/stutters/freezes on the ATAG Server since we enabled custom skins four days ago?

I haven’t had the chance to go online yet to see for myself.
    Not as yet Snapper ...I've flown twice , not had a twich .

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

31. Likes DRock, ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Custom skins are the way to go! I keep the fingers crossed that everything will turn out nicely.

I flew with three squadron mates (each with a custom skin) and no issues at all. It was a rather empty server with under 10 pilots though.

33. Likes DRock, ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Lots of skins loaded yesterday without any noticeable stutters, with ~15 pilots on.

Loaded fast, too.

Soon, we will be able to test this with big numbers online.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Lots of skins loaded yesterday without any noticeable stutters, with ~15 pilots on.

Loaded fast, too.

Soon, we will be able to test this with big numbers online.
    Good feedback. It’s good to get some quantifiable numbers (ie 15+ players).

Looks promising!

36. Likes DRock, ATAG_Ribbs, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Combat pilot No.119_Marshy (VK-M)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

how accurate, historically, do we have to be? the server being Battle of Britain, is my Seafire skin too late, as they didn't make it to the party until 1942?Seafire M3.jpgSeafire M1.jpg

38. Likes DRock, ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by No.119_Marshy (VK-M) View Post
    how accurate, historically, do we have to be? the server being Battle of Britain, is my Seafire skin too late, as they didn't make it to the party until 1942?Seafire M3.jpgSeafire M1.jpg
    Go nuts, Marshy.

The rule was to minimize crazy coloured aircraft with large file sizes.

40. Likes No.119_Marshy (VK-M), ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Go nuts, Marshy.

The rule was to minimize crazy coloured aircraft with large file sizes.
    Yeah, like pistachio G50’s and the likes
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

42. Likes DRock, No.119_Marshy (VK-M) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    Yeah, like pistachio G50’s and the likes
    You’re still two tones away from offensive.

44. Likes ATAG_Noofy, No.119_Marshy (VK-M) liked this post