Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flight Simulator 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: Flight Simulator 2020

Spent an evening in MS Flight sim, flying the Spitfire, and the community built Airbus H135 helicopter, both in VR and flat screen.

Great fun !!

for those who dont know MS Fligh sim allows you to hot key between VR and normal.... this is a truely superb setup.

For sight seeing a flat screen with track IR gives unbeatable detail

For that full on 3D fix just click a button and switch headset (dead eaay) and boom... you are in the plane all claustophobic.

Flying a helicopter in VR is a million times better than on a flat screen.... unless you are primarilly sight seeing in which case... high res flat screen for me !....

The ability to fly in VR to where you want to in order scope stuff out... and then switch to 2d when you get there is so so cool !!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yes, it's interesting to know what it feels like in VR - must try it!!!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I wonder if there is any feedback on VR

4. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

6. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by souza13alex View Post
    I wonder if there is any feedback on VR
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post372899

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thank you so much, something I missed))

9. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the video of the different planes!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

We're waiting for more videos!

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Paris at daybreak

Iceland at dusk

14. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Still enjoying plenty of cold-war heavy metal

and some more advanced stuff....

16. Likes ATAG_Colander liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Between Le Bourget and London City Airport.

18. Likes major_setback liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Flight over the Dover area in FS2020. ( Not by me).
    https://youtu.be/3GCQi_yQzZQ
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

large view.jpg Outside.jpg Panel.jpg

Flight Over the Dover Area, above post.

Wow, look at these screen shots. The interesting thing is the field of view. The pilots head is higher in these shots then it is in our game, you can clearly see the gyro compass, and the compass for example, while in the other shots the pilot leans into the canopy (I think) to see a wide view and/or prepare to sight in a target. I did not see much of the city of Dover, but I enjoyed looking at the inside of the Spit.
    Last edited by Little Bill; Apr-07-2022 at 09:50. Reason: added reference to above post

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post

I did not see much of the city of Dover, but I enjoyed looking at the inside of the Spit.

Dover, a closer view. Slightly. In the Aeroplane Heaven Spitfire.

https://youtu.be/slFviktUMog
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

22. Likes ATAG_Slot liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

An evening in the Spring; Exeter to Dunkeswell.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Southend on Sea to Heathrow; the short way round...

25. Likes ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

To celebrate the eleventh birthday of my cpu;

Exploring the Hood river

Japan

27. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Bubba, Little Bill, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Arthursmedley View Post

Exploring the Hood river

Exploring the Hood river

Wow, The Columbia River Gorge, Mtn. Hood, and an old cpu keeping up with it all. Thanks for posting.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

29. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.21 MB

no recent posts about the FI Spit, F6F, P-38, or the new 109G-6? (Love 'em all)
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 1x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe, 2TB Samsung SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, EVGA 850 P2 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2 , K-51 Helicopter Collective Control, Reverb G2, SteamVR res: 2820x2760 (80%), nVidia driver 536.23

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.26 MB

I've been flying a lot of DCS warbirds in VR lately, and have been absolutely loving it. The flight models are challenging and feel absolutely alive, and the new DCS damage model is fantastic for the WWII planes from my experience. That said, my favorite plane is the Corsair, and one has been in production for DCS for years now, which I've eagerly been awaiting. Progress is super slow, and there hasn't been an update in a long time, however. I saw that there is a high quality Corsair module in MSFS 2020, so I decided to get that to both learn the plane and practice in it, and so that I could use it for some virtual sightseeing.

The visuals and sound on it are fantastic, but I find MSFS very limiting on controls. A lot of the Corsair controls can't be bound in the sim, meaning you have to physically click everything. On a 2d screen that isn't too bad, but it really does not work well in that sim in VR and makes it almost impossible to do some things while airborne. Due to that, I've been flying it on a monitor again. Another thing I've noticed is that MSFS 2020 feels like the planes are a lot more on rails than DCS. Flying the P-47 in DCS feels like trying to tame a monster, and the engine has a lot of torque and propeller effects to deal with. Trimming is a constant challenge, and changes in power really throw that plane around. The Corsair has the same engine, so I would expect some similarities, but in MSFS 2020 there seems to be extremely few torque and prop effects, and I've never really had to trim it at all. It kind of feels like it has training wheels to be honest. I find this funny as some forums that I found while trying to find out how to key bind talked about the Corsair being so difficult in that sim that it's almost not fun anymore. This made me grin, but the DCS WWII birds feels significantly more alive to me than my experience in MSFS 2020. I can also use my weapons in it! All that said, it's wonderful to go sightseeing from the cockpit of my favorite plane, and it is quite good for cockpit and system familiarization. MSFS 2020 definitely has a place, but their flight models could be improved from my experience.
    Spec: Intel i9 11900k overclocked at 5.3 GHz, Asus Maximus XIII motherboard, 64 GB high speed DDR4 RAM, ROG Strix RTX 4090, M.2 HD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with center stick and extension, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 or HP Reverb G2, CH Throttle Quadrant, LG UltraGear 48GQ900 monitor.

32. Likes N/A liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    19.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by javelina View Post
    no recent posts about the FI Spit, F6F, P-38, or the new 109G-6? (Love 'em all)
    I caved and got the 109 & Spit.

I have long struggled with FS2020 both with performance and feeling of flying. The former I finally fixed, it was one of those order of starting things issues. I have a jetseat and use a legacy version of simconnect to connect FS2020 to simshaker for avaiators. It appears that if I start the simshaker program first I get terrible performance, if I start it after FS2020 is loaded then all fine.

Regarding the flying side FS2020 still leaves me rather cold. The Cessnas and similar I find simply dull, the 109 is the best yet for me, yet still feels well short of CloD or DCS, in terms of flight model, interiors and sound.

The much vaunted scenery is great until you closely visit something you know like your local town and then it rather disappoints. Taking off and landing at airports with live traffic is fun and right now that is pretty much it for me, which may prove a short lived novelty.

What did surprise me was firing up CloD again in VR how sharp the terrain looks, the cockpits have greater depth and feel more enclosed and the sound more hifi.

I have no reason not to like FS2020, I have invested far more into it than CloD yet it continues to provide a little mild entertainment and nothing more.
    AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 & 11 dual boot · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Warthog Stick, Warthog Throttle, Logitech Quadrant, JetSeat

34. Likes Little Bill, N/A, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.42 MB

Red face Re: Flight Simulator 2020

Quote Originally Posted by PO_Baldrick View Post
    I caved and got the 109 & Spit.

I have long struggled with FS2020 both with performance and feeling of flying. The former I finally fixed, it was one of those order of starting things issues. I have a jetseat and use a legacy version of simconnect to connect FS2020 to simshaker for avaiators. It appears that if I start the simshaker program first I get terrible performance, if I start it after FS2020 is loaded then all fine.

Regarding the flying side FS2020 still leaves me rather cold. The Cessnas and similar I find simply dull, the 109 is the best yet for me, yet still feels well short of CloD or DCS, in terms of flight model, interiors and sound.

The much vaunted scenery is great until you closely visit something you know like your local town and then it rather disappoints. Taking off and landing at airports with live traffic is fun and right now that is pretty much it for me, which may prove a short lived novelty.

What did surprise me was firing up CloD again in VR how sharp the terrain looks, the cockpits have greater depth and feel more enclosed and the sound more hifi.

I have no reason not to like FS2020, I have invested far more into it than CloD yet it continues to provide a little mild entertainment and nothing more.
    Hi Baldrick.
    Cannot agree more with you about FS2020. I Invested in FS from the early years and have them all. Paid silly money for the latest version, downloaded extra aircraft, airports etc and loved the graphics etc but you know what, I am still bored with it.
    I have had Cliffs from day one, 2011 and got all the updates since then and Cliffs has become the one and only for accurate combat flying and excitement. Cliifs of Dover everytime for me.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Headshot View Post

The visuals and sound on it are fantastic, but I find MSFS very limiting on controls. A lot of the Corsair controls can't be bound in the sim, meaning you have to physically click everything. On a 2d screen that isn't too bad, but it really does not work well in that sim in VR and makes it almost impossible to do some things while airborne. Due to that, I've been flying it on a monitor again. Another thing I've noticed is that MSFS 2020 feels like the planes are a lot more on rails than DCS. Flying the P-47 in DCS feels like trying to tame a monster, and the engine has a lot of torque and propeller effects to deal with. Trimming is a constant challenge, and changes in power really throw that plane around. The Corsair has the same engine, so I would expect some similarities, but in MSFS 2020 there seems to be extremely few torque and prop effects, and I've never really had to trim it at all. It kind of feels like it has training wheels to be honest. I find this funny as some forums that I found while trying to find out how to key bind talked about the Corsair being so difficult in that sim that it's almost not fun anymore. This made me grin, but the DCS WWII birds feels significantly more alive to me than my experience in MSFS 2020. I can also use my weapons in it! All that said, it's wonderful to go sightseeing from the cockpit of my favorite plane, and it is quite good for cockpit and system familiarization. MSFS 2020 definitely has a place, but their flight models could be improved from my experience.
    The only WW2 bird I have in MSFS2020 is the excellent FlyingIrons Spitfire. It's actually a surprisingly good sightseeing aircraft too, you can cover a lot of ground at Spitfire speeds. It can also be fitted with a GPS unit in place of the gunsight if required but in my opinion it just feels wrong without that sight.....and it's undeniably pretty and I have it because ....it's a Spitfire! Yes, some of the comments on other forums about how 'difficult' these things are to fly have made me smile too!

I haven't bought anymore WW2 aircraft because I know I'll be disappointed. Combat flightsims live and die by their flight and damage models because it's such an important part of the authentic experience. For civilian sims like MSFS or X-Plane? Nah, there's no getting away from the fact the flight models are much more simplistic and compared to something like a Corsair, Spitfire, 109, et al - yes, a Cessna 172 IS boring! All you can really expect is that hopefully they'll hit the performance numbers. Authentic flight characteristics and torque effects are a bit beyond what can be done in civilian sims at present. However, having said that; they've got to produce something 'global' that encompasses everything from gliders to Jumbo jets and of course, it's much. much more about an all round experience too. I've been having great fun not shooting stuff up but learning radio navigation and the systems and operating proceedures for modern airliners. Plus there's the astonishing, authentic live weather.

I'm willing to admit I'm entering old fart territory! Approach and landing into Bergen;

Let's also not forget that flyable, four-engined bombers are still totally absent from modern CFS. You want the next closest thing? Yes, you really do need to nurse the engines in this thing....

One more thing; can't fly over an authentic replica of your own home at 30'? No, me neither but you can still do some amazing stuff...

This concludes my illustrated defence of MSFS2020 Oh course, at the end of the day; it's whatever floats your boat....

37. Likes ATAG_Headshot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Spent an evening in MSFS earlier in the week.

In the Astro One.

(yeah... still lerning helicopters so this is a nice easy "viewing Platform" and a good giggle to boot !

The Photogrammetry (at lkeast where i Live) has come on masively since I last flew this !!

Its really really really really good

Not in the countryside it mostly satelite imagery with AI buildings popped on... which is great... but in cities with photogrammetry data its superb !

Or at least its superb enough to be able to ientify your own garage and that annoting overgrown hedge my neighbours have.

it's quite something.

and the Astro One bet the hell out of just Drone Camera Mode...

and yes... i will try and learn to fly a heli properly at some point !!!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

39. Likes Arthursmedley liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post

Spent an evening in MSFS earlier in the week.
    Flying into Innsbruck this morning for the International Lederhosen Wearer of the Year awards 2024....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234