Thread: Bombing Ships

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Bombing Ships

I have recently been doing a bit of bombing in the Blennie and Hurri bomber.

I can usually score hits on an airfield, if I escape the flak, but I am finding it hard to actually hit a ship.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, angle of attack, height to begin attack etc.

I do know that it's best to attack lengthways on to the ship, but my current tactic of flying low over the ship and dropping my bombs just as I start to fly over the ship doesn't seem to be working.

Cheers in advance

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

2. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Re: Bombing Ships

Hi Laser that bombing ships something I do a lot in a Hurricane FB. Always in a shallow dive. The gunsight must be stationary on the ship when you release the bombs.

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

4. Likes ATAG_Laser, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Hi Laser,

Try this in a Blenheim - approaching the side of the ship, release the bomb when the ship fills the gunsight reticle (the iron gunsight in the pilot's position). Using this method I hit a ship for the first time on bomber practice a couple of night ago.

Try to join us if you get the time - it's great fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

If you're good at aiming, attack from the stern. (Slower groundspeed and AAA is up front)
    If your good at judging range, attack from abeam. (Big, wide target)

Here's a tried and true Blenheim mechanical attack technique. Use 11 second fuze delays and watch out for AAA.

1. Set maximum power.
    2. Fly 100' above the water.
    3. Approach from abeam.
    4. Aim for the wheelhouse (aft, where the superstructure gets taller).
    5. When the bottom of the big round gunsight touches the ship's waterline, drop your bomb.
    6. Soon after the weapon is released (about 1/2 second) pull up with FULL AFT STICK for about 1/2 second (Don't hit the cables)
    7. Immediately use lots of forward stick to stop the climb and descend back down to 100' Above the sea.
    8. Aggressively turn to evade fire and egress the area. (or line up the next vessel).

If you weren't scared, you released too early!
    Last edited by Baffin; Jun-12-2019 at 08:22.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Thanks for the tips chaps

I will try all the above, and Scones, I will indeed join you bomber boys if you are on when I am.

I have just made a Hurri bomber mission using the FMB and put a few ships in there to practice

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

8. Likes ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Hi Laser,

I sometimes use the Blennie for skip bombing ships. It's not an easy thing to do.
    You have to remember:
    a) the bombs do not fall at the moment when you press the key but with some delay
    b) the bombs do not fall down vertically but in a ballistic curve, initially with the same speed than the aircraft
    c) the higher you are above the water surface, the higher they will bounce

a) means at one hand that you are too late, when you release the bombs directly over the ships and at the other hands that you will miss the target if you change course before the bombs are really away.
    b) same as a) means that you are too late, when you release the bombs directly over the ships
    c) if you drop them from too high up they are prone to jump right over the ship (man, that's a frustrating sight too see ...)

There are people who are much better than me, but I get lucky with about two of five attacks (4 x 250 lb then all the small ones) with the following tactic:
    take a long straight approach that gives you time to aim
    go down as deep as you dare (rather scary if you are zoomed in to see the target)
    attack the ship lenghthwise but with a slight angle
    when you release the bombs don't turn immediately but stay on course

you have to practice to get the time for dropping right. I was always told: don't drop too early which resulted either in me ramming the ships or dropping too late. When skip bombing the bombs travel quite some way. When you are really, really on deck, stay on course after dropping for a couple of seconds it should give you just enough time to hop over the ship's masts.
    Then go into a sharp climbing turn to the left to see what happens.
    You will see the white splashes where the bomb skips, a brown smoke when it explodes too late or too early (sometimes right at the side of the ship without doing damage) or a big red-black explosion

Still this does not mean that you will get credit for sinking the ship, because sometimes those d...ed things need hours to sink. If the mission ends before that ... well, bad luck but that's Blennie flying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

I too have problems releasing the bombs at the right place / time.
    My bombs seem to always (most) bounce above the ship as I can see several ricochets past the ship.
    Maybe I release too late, or too soon, or too high (I have the impression that I fly below deck level, so can hardly fly lower).
    If we could record the run and then view it from an external view, this could help visualise the ballistics...
    Anyone knows if that is possible, and if yes how to do that?
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

11. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

You are releasing too soon Noofy. The optimum drop point leaves you just barely enough time to pull up and not hit the cable masts. That's how close you have to be. Also aim for where the lowest spot on the hull meets the bridge. ( Meaning you have the front bow..then the hull drops down in the middle low spot. Then you have the spot where the hull goes back up to make the bridge and the rear of the ship. Aim for right where it jogs back up.) Ideally you are dropping at the last second and the bomb is only skipping once and then impacting the ships hull.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

My technique involves using one second fuses.
    I always approach from abeam as close to 90 degrees as possible.
    In days of old a black rectangular hit box was visible from a long distance just in front of the wheelhouse. I have not noticed this lately.
    Full speed ahead in your Blennie. At 250 mph you travel 367 feet in 1 second. Your bomb does not drop from 250 mph to zero after striking
    the surface of the water (or the land). You also need close to a second for the bomb to fall from your beloved Blennie and you need to remain
    stable for that time.

I expand to the largest view possible in order to get as low as possible relative to the ship. If you are not perfectly 90 degrees to the ship you
    can still sink it if you are lucky. I do not know what the exact angle is beyond which skip bombing will not work.

I get as close as I dare, drop the bomb, stay level for as close to a second as I can then haul back to climb and turn away to avoid colliding with the wires.
    After many years I still will collide on occasion. There is a sweet spot in this technique like unto learning to drive a manual transmission vehicle. Some take to it
    easily, others may jerk about and bounce off of things for a while.

With the 40 pound pipe bombs I dive upon the ship from bow or stern and drop at least 4 along the length of it. I have not managed to destroy a ship with just 4
    and usually have to have a second go at it should I live long enough.

With 109s about, and flak as it is, I always expect to be swimming sooner instead of later. Those two vexations of the spirit will make it more difficult to line up
    your target. It takes a few seconds to settle into the sweet spot where you can get a 4 for 4 perfect run against a convoy. This is achievable if you remain
    unmolested but is a rare feat in my sad experience.

Attacking the minensuchen deadly nasty vicious brutes is a totally different proposition. If I am lucky enough to get close enough to bomb one, I never release less than
    2 bombs per ship. Count on dying every time. If you get one of the brutes you will likely be so damaged you will never get the other of the pair. I may have got a twofer
    in days of old but I cannot remember how long it has been since.

To sally forth, in a Bloated Blennie Brigade of capitol fellows with excellent senses of "Hoo Haw"...... I have found this to be a great source of mirth and merriment.
    109s and flak are always better when shared among friends.
    Intel Core i7 9700k (8-core), 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6 GHz. 16GB DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz Dual Channel HyperX
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X. 512GB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD (Boot)
    Alienware 850 Watt power supply liquid cooled. Alienware 34in Curved WQHD 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. G-SYNC. DP 1.2 mode.
    Thrustmaster 1600, Saitek rudder pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

A man this eloquent needs to run for office!
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

15. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    293.36 MB

A shameless plug, but you can see where/when I drop per ship. The target reticle goes dim, and you can also see I drop 2 bombs per ship. After each run I turn back to see which hits I have scored, and what missed. The video was my first attempt at skip bombing, per DRocks instructions back in the day. I have learned that I need to get lower, and like mentioned above, if I am not praying to miss the mast cables, I need to wait longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lord Wukits View Post

A shameless plug, but you can see where/when I drop per ship. The target reticle goes dim, and you can also see I drop 2 bombs per ship. After each run I turn back to see which hits I have scored, and what missed. The video was my first attempt at skip bombing, per DRocks instructions back in the day. I have learned that I need to get lower, and like mentioned above, if I am not praying to miss the mast cables, I need to wait longer.
    Beautiful show. But we (I) only see the moment when you pull up, not the moment when you drop...
    It seems that I fly lower and pull up later than you do in this video, but this might just be an impression. I hot the cables 50% of the time...
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    293.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    Beautiful show. But we (I) only see the moment when you pull up, not the moment when you drop...
    @3:06 in the video, you will see the target reticle dim briefly, then again just before I begin to pull up. That is me dropping the first bomb on that ship, then me releasing another. [This doesn't show up clearly in the embedded video, try viewing it in full screen.]

I have since learned to get a lot lower, as I said it was my first time.
    Last edited by ATAG_Lord Wukits; Jun-14-2019 at 15:17.

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

in a 110 i actually prefferd the side attack. using the gun sight (gun sight used on stern to midships 390 km/hr) bombs usually hit...sometimes a bounce over but works well
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

when I bomb in a ju 88 I find I should be low maybe100 ft or less off water and also my speed should be 300 kph, I usually drop 4 bombs . you can do it with less but youll probably get killed by gun fire or fighters anyway so I like to have extra insurance . but I watch my speed and try to do everything as consistently as possible I try to aim perpendicular to the ship and aim for a little in front of the bridge it helps keep them from bouncing over the ship . if there is a corvette with them it will kill you a lot so try to kill it first even if you die . I always skip bomb because its fun . there used to be a good practice server with some ships where you could really learn to do it
    there you had to watch because there were a couple of places where it was to shallow to skip bomb

TGIF link = https://youtu.be/N5_qu_QEZUE?list=UU...LKspl6SMYmEgKw this is a blienham raid the ships move and stay in the same spot by computer magic so you cant get a good video of them being hit but its still fun you can see we are very low and can be successful with just one bomb
    Last edited by tgif; Jun-14-2019 at 23:45.

21. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Last night I tried my new mission, bombing German tankers in a Hurricane FB using the method advised by Bondi in this thread and bingo, direct hit

Ok, so I haven't included any other opposition, like fighters or flak, and the tankers are very close together making them an easier target, but hey, definite improvement

23. Likes Bonditaria liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

How many of the small bombs do you need to sink a ship?
    Or do you drop them all at once?

25. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    How many of the small bombs do you need to sink a ship?
    Or do you drop them all at once?
    As far as I am aware there isn't an option for dropping the bombs individually with the Hurricane FB, it's "All or nothing"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Thanks.
    I thought so.

Pretty tiresome business.
    When I saw in Wukits' video how often he can attack with his Ju 88 I got rather envious.

I still wish it would be possible to successfully attack ships with the Beaufighter.
    If you are extremely lucky you can sink Minensuchboote by shooting up its cannon (9 times out of 10 you don`t get nearly close enough to pull the trigger ...) but it doesn't work with freighters.

28. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Ok, so here's a video of my efforts with the Hurricane FB.

Attack #1 was my first attempt, mentioned above.
    I thought that I had hit the ship, but it turns out they collided as I had put them close together in the mission, and my bombs didn't even drop anyway. My key binding for dropping bombs had gone back to default about a week ago, when, for the latest time, I lost all my key bindings.

Attack #2 was a beam attack. I think I hit the ship, but not hard enough to sink it.

The other attacks were all from astern, but no direct hits.

More practice required it would seem