Thread: PilotHelper: warning systems and autopilot for spitfire and hurricane

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

PilotHelper: warning systems and autopilot for spitfire and hurricane

After seeing the virtual cockpit options I wanted to know how that was made so I used the deviceLink interface to get some temps out of the game. Then I got the idea to make it into an autopilot since I'm lazy and I crashed my airplane a few times when flying below radar because it was late at night and I was a bit sleepy.

The first release version of the PIlotHelper autopilot is now ready so I thought I'd post it here. Here is the professionaly shot release trailer: https://youtu.be/8GY2cVx1FTQ (Very old version)

PILOTHELPER
    The pilotHelper program is an executable (installable by version 2 and up) program that can run while you play the game. It contains some warning features and a level flight autopilot for the hurricane and spitfire (it might also work for other planes but I haven't tested it thourougly.)

Features:
    -If your engine overheats (radiator or oil to hot) then it notifies you by sounding an audible alarm.
    -It notifies you of how much fuel you have at 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and 0 gallons of fuel. It does this with a voice message.
    -Autopilot for level flight at constant speed and heading. Autopilot starts when you press the 'q' key and ends when you press it again. (capital q, so shift + 'q' from VERSION 2 and up)
    -For the spitfire and hurricane there is an ammo counter. Every time you release the trigger the program will tell you the firing time in seconds you have left if you have less than 5 seconds. (VERSION 1.7 and up)
    ### version 2 and up-- 13-1-2020 ###
    -Automatic climbing mode (Press capital 'c', so shift + 'c' to toggle while in autopilot flight)
    -Automatic dive and fly on sea level mode which will dive to sea level and stay there. (Press capital 'd', so shift + 'd' to toggle while in autopilot flight)
    -Trimming automaticly while flying on autopilot.
    ### version 2.0.0.10 and up 07--05-2020 ###
    -Heading now finaly actually really accurate while flying on autopilot. It corrects itself by use of virtual aeleron trim to make sure it really does take the correct heading.
    -You can change your heading while flying on autopilot by typing the '<' and '>' keys (so thats capital komma or capital dot) to steer the autopilot left or right respectively. This is done so it could also be used in bombers as an alternative to mode 22 which is in some ways (soon in all ways) inferior to this program.
    -Fixed overaggressive bank angles that induce a deadly spin.
    -Fixed deadly 360 to 0 degree bug.

Autopilot VERSION 2
    The updated autopilot now uses a VJOY joystick to input the game. This virtual joystick can give analogue input which is a lot more subtle than the previously used keypress. I used a modified PID-controller to controll the autopilot that is toggled by pressing the 'Q' key (capital so shift + 'q'). The PID-controller recieves input from the device link interface. The device link interface consists of a memory mapped file containing aircraft data so people can build their own virtual cockpits. But as you can see it is quite powerfull as you can use it to let an algorithm fly the airplane on instruments.

To make the program work you first have to install it. In the installer it also installes the VJOY device driver which is needed to make a virtual joystick that can be used to provide input to the game. On first launch the program will ask you if you want to setup the joystick keybinds in game. This is nececery to make the autopilot work but not to use the warning system. Binding the virtual joystick WILL NOT dissable your real joystick. You can still use your normal joystick because autopilot just takes your input sends it to the virtual joystick. So you can still fly with your real joystick in the normal way. This does mean however that you will have to run the program every time in the background to be able to fly in the game.

You can download the most up to date version of PilotHelper here: (most recent version = 2 or if there is a higher number available then choose that one )
    https://www.ganaarpim.nl/s/pVwwkgaWo2Jbz4P
    password = cod

I have not tested the program on other pc's so I would love to hear if it actually works on other pc's if anyone would like to try it. If there are any crashes, weird behavior or other things please let me know!

The atached images are made by combining 30 screenshots taken over 1 minute of autopilot flight. This is just to demonstrate how accurate autopilot has become. (Images taken on Autopilot v2.)
    median.jpg
    above.jpg
    Last edited by kaper; May-07-2020 at 15:26.