Thread: VR support & vorpX C API

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

VR support & vorpX C API

Hello Team Fusion,

I am a big fun of your work. Thank you for keeping the CloD alive and kicking

I am also a happy owner of Samsung Odyssey + and, like many others before me, I feel that VR is the right way forward in terms of flight simming (I have not flown in any of my sims in 2D since, actually).

I am aware of the current state of play regarding the VR support (i.e. post 5.0 update), however let me draw your attention to the following:

In the latest update, VorpX has introduced a C API for developers and modders to make the VR implementation easier. For me it is a rocket science but I believe it may be worth checking this out by someone who actually knows what Ralf talks about.

https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/a...ut-to-modders/

I would be happy to hear what you think.

Another idea in connection with the VR implementation especially after seeing so many emotions surrounding this topic (as there are many people out there who are not VR believers - and that is OK, I can respect that): Would it make sense to make the VR implementation as a paid DLC? I would be more than happy to pay a reasonable price for it also in a way to support the development of the VR implementation.

Thanks!

Regards,

Milan

2. Likes SIA_Sp00k, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Re: VR support & vorpX C API

You can marry my sister Milan. TWC have a number of Samsung Odyssey + guys and one or two Occulus weirdos with at least 2 more VR purchases planned. Hope the TFS guys take a look.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

4. Likes QB.Creep liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Already happily married but thanks anyway

Maybe one more thought on the topic:

VorpX is an impressive piece of software that can bring the experience nearly to the native VR implementation.
    While the native VR will always be better, in the meantime it would be great to have the CloD allowing the vorpX to hook and do its 3D magic (for the moment the vorpX hooks but is not able to transform to the 3D VR).

Team Fusion, would that be sometning you would consider having a look at before you dive into the depths of implementing the native VR?

Thank you for a quick reflection.

Milan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Hi Milan,

The operational decision was made not to have VR in 5.0, however it is possible for future work post 5.0.

Cheers,

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by apollon01 View Post
    I am also a happy owner of Samsung Odyssey + and, like many others before me, I feel that VR is the right way forward in terms of flight simming (I have not flown in any of my sims in 2D since, actually).
    Hi Milan,
    I have a question related to VR.
    My experience in VR is limited to using FPV goggles to fly RC airplanes / drones. With an incorporated gyro, the googles know the position of the head, which steers the onboard camera accordingly.
    Although this adds a lot to the immersion effect, you only see what the camera is pointing at.
    So my question is, when you use VR equipment, how do you see the Joystick, HOTAS, Keyboard, etc. if you have to use them to control some of the commands of the plane?
    Same goes for any other thing you may want to look at on your desk (maps, calculator, etc.)?
    I always wondered how people flying with VR did that
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Jun-17-2019 at 09:39.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Pattle View Post
    Hi Milan,

The operational decision was made not to have VR in 5.0, however it is possible for future work post 5.0.

Cheers,

Pete
    Hello Pete,

thank you for a quick response, I appreciate it.

Yes - I am aware of the current planning revealed to public on this forum. I just wanted to bring here some news / info that might be of interest once the team starts working full speed on the VR implementation.

Regards,

Milan

9. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

@ATAG_Noofy:

The solution is to map as much as you can on your joystick / hotas (that's what I do). For the rest - I can say I am becoming quite proficient in using the keyboard blind (in practice it is quite easy to locate some keys, what it needs is a practice).

As for the maps and the tools - some HMDs (VR headsets) have gaps around the nose-seals that allow you to sneak somehow to the real world. Not my case and not my style (the O+ sits tight on my face).

However, there are VR solutions for bringing desktop windows into VR (some people watch Netflix in Elite Dangerous). So as long as your map or tables are in electronical form, you are good to go.

All in all, VR is probably not for everyone. But if you get a chance, give it a try.

Milan

11. Likes ATAG_Noofy, farley, ATAG_Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.55 MB

Having flown in VR, it's a hard sell to go back to 2D. Really hope that VR is implemented in a future version of CLOD.

13. Likes SIA_Sp00k, TWC_NINja liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post

So my question is, when you use VR equipment, how do you see the Joystick, HOTAS, Keyboard, etc. if you have to use them to control some of the commands of the plane?
    Same goes for any other thing you may want to look at on your desk (maps, calculator, etc.)?
    I always wondered how people flying with VR did that
    Like 90% of Rift CV1 users, I simply look down my nose

15. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Arthursmedley View Post
    Will have to see how to do this with corrective glasses on...
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    589.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Creep View Post
    Having flown in VR, it's a hard sell to go back to 2D. Really hope that VR is implemented in a future version of CLOD.
    Surely VR should be a priority now - it's rapidly becoming the norm for sims and CLoD needs to be as competitive as possible.

Really hope it's the first upgrade after v 5.0 is released, or even a part of 5.0 from day one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Arthursmedley View Post
    Me too as it goes.

But it has nothing to do with VR.

I'm just like that generally.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey