Thread: Multi-Camera Editing in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Multi-Camera Editing in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

Hi everyone,

I have an Olde and Ancient version of Adobe's Premiere Pro CS6 which I've been using for video editing for roughly 10 years. One of the most frustrating issues I've encountered is when working through multi-cam editing with this version is getting the audio to follow the video when switching from one angle (camera) to another. CS6 defaults to Audio Channel 1 linked to Video Camera 1; the audio channels for the remaining video cameras are muted. What happens is when you switch from an inside cockpit view (Camera 1) to an external view (Cameras 2, 3, 4, etc) the audio you hear is still Camera 1's cockpit sound. (This is because most multi-cam video editing involves just one "good" sound ie. a singer or musician - you can switch around angles/cameras on the artist, but you just want the "good" sound to be constant).

Obviously, this doesn't work for making movies of Blitz where you want the sound to switch over to whatever the camera is showing.

I'm working on a little video project, putting together a quick Blitz video of a Hurricane being scrambled from Hawkinge to intercept a raiding 110 approaching Folkstone at wavetop height. I had noticed an interesting tattoo of a Hurricane on a friend's forearm. His grandfather flew them in the War; the Hurricane tattoo has "RORY" emblazoned on the side in honour of Eric's 3 year old son, Rory.

Although no fighter squadron had the R-RY code letters during the Battle of Britain, ATAG_Noofy helped me out with a custom paint scheme.

Other credits go to Fritz Wolf for his "Wespe" 110 paint scheme, and Fred901 for the fantastically-detailed Hawkinge airfield layout.

Here's a screenshot from the Premiere Pro CS6 Project Editor showing, in this case, 6 different track videos I made showing the same action from 6 different perspectives:

And here is the snippet (ie rough cut) of video showing the changes in camera angle with the appropriate sounds for that camera angle/view:

And here's how to do it with this antiquated version of Premiere Pro CS6. I don't want to tell you how long it took me to work this out, but I will say that there is a roomful of chimpanzees somewhere hammering out Beethoven on pianos...

How to get "audio to follow video":

1) Import each video clip into the Project Box. To get a clip marker in each clip as a sync point, do the following:

1a) Double click on the first clip which will bring the video up in the Source Box.

1b) Find a suitable point in the clip's timeline that would make a good marker point that would be easily found in each clip ie a photo flash, a brief loud sound, etc.

1c) Use the "m" key to mark that precise point on the timeline.

1d) Right click on the marker and select Edit Marker

1e) In the top box type in a suitable name, click OK.

1f) Repeat steps 1a to 1e on each of the remaining videos you've imported into the project and use the EXACT same name for each clip marker.

2) Up in the Project box select all these clips (that have been marked for sync points in Step 1). Right click and in the drop down box select "Create Multi-Camera Source Sequence".

3) In the pop up box select "Clip Marker". (The name that you gave each marker should be shown beside the Clip Marker selection. This tells PP CS6 to arrange the videos to sync with these markers.

4) Back in the Project Box, right click on the Multicam icon that you have just created. Select "Open in Timeline".

5) Go to the timeline that you have just created. You will find the video and audio channels properly sync'd to the markers you created for each of the clips.

6) Unmute the audio channels below Audio 1.

7. Go back up to the Project Box and drag down the Multicam icon to the little New Item icon (at the bottom right corner of the Project Box).

8. Go to the new timeline that this has created. You will see the Multicam timeline. Important: right click on this timeline and select Unlink.

9. Right click on the video channel, go to Multi-Camera and select Enable.

10. Right click on the audio channel, go to Multi-Camera and select Enable.

11. Go to the menu at the top of the screen and select Window.

12. Select Multi-Camera Monitor

13. In order to activate "Audio Follows Video", you need to actually start the video running in this Multi-Camera Monitor. When the video is running, go up to the top right corner of this monitor screen and click on the tiny square icon. From the drop down menu that appears select Audio Follow Video. This will stop the video from playing; simply restart the video in the Multi-Camera Monitor and you will find that you can now select each clip that's running and the sound for that clip will play.
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Jul-06-2019 at 11:54.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Re: Multi-Camera Editing in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

Must do some more videos. Still looking for an editor that suits.

Coming along nicely and looking forward to the completed epic by 'Cecil B de Snapper'.

Do you use Reshade or anything Snap?

07!
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Multi-Camera Editing in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

Ha! Thanks, Vamps.

No, I don’t use reshade. I tried it back in 4.312 but never seemed to get the results I was hoping for. The video editor, Premiere Pro, allows for a vast amount of image tweaking but the sim looks good just on its own!

There are some excellent “NLE’s” (Non Linear Editors) out there; I would suggest looking at Sony Vegas which I (and a roomful of chimpanzees) believe to be a bit easier to use than PP.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

4. Likes ATAG_Vampire, ATAG_Scones liked this post