Thread: Well Met!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.91 MB

Well Met!

Hi Chaps,
    Thought I'd register on the forums as i've more recently been dipping my toes into CloD blitz and i'm really rather enjoying myself.
    I'm an ageing simmer, I think i started on the Amiga with the likes of Wings, Lancaster, and B17 etc.
    eventually on the pc, games like Luftwaffe commander etc and ultimately Il2, I played a lot of IL2 1946 with HSFX, but when CloD originally came along i kind of skipped it due to the bugginess and reports at the time.
    picked it up some time later in a sale and tried it and my pc really couldn't handle it, so it went away for some time.

last year i managed to sort out Il2 Box and i've been out and setup my flight gear and head tracking again, decided to load blitz and give it a proper go and i'm now happily flying around attempting to shoot things up (and doing a terrible job at it I am too).

though I very much enjoy flying in BoX i have to say that CloD is an entirely different animal, it feels more authentic i guess? either way, I get to fly my second favourite aircraft the Hawker Hurricane so i'm a happy chap, Ultimately I hope to join in with the large events you guys run, if you don't mind a noob flying with you that is.
    thanks!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Re: Well Met!

You found the right sim at the right time (just check the TFS updates on the new patch).

You are most welcome to CloD and in fact there are quite a number of people here with a very similar background concerning flight sims, so I'm sure you will feel at home in no time at all.

See you in the skies!

DerDa

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Melonfish View Post
    ...... attempting to shoot things up (and doing a terrible job at it I am too)

Welcome to the club Melonfish.

You are going to love it here!

Great group, so get stuck in and enjoy.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Welcome.
    Last edited by Ekko; Jul-12-2019 at 09:57.
    Even a blind mosquito finds its way home

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Hello Melonfish,

Welcome to the ATAG forums and servers.

You've picked a good time to say hello for there are auspicious signs that a new version is winging its way to us.

Have fun. See you in the skies.

6. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Hello Melonfish

Great post you've put up here and from reading it I know you are going to feel right at home and fit right in .

Hope to meet you soon .

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi Melonfish.......and another big welcome to the ATAG Forum and servers! We are really pleased you decided to join us. This Forum is a wealth of information and hopefully you have come across all the info about the TFS improvements to the sim which are going to hit us all sooner than you think? It's a very exciting time to fly Cliffs!
    I think a good many of us here are 'ageing simmers' but with the important phrase of 'young at heart' still very much in evidence. I came to Cliffs via 'Flying Corps,' 'Jane's Fighters,' B17 (This impressed me at the time but I could never get the a/c to drop anything?) 'European Airwars,' 'Il2' and finally.......'Cliffs,' after my son and I realised that TFS had modded and saved the whole project!

The big difference was that 'Cliffs' was the first sim that tempted me to try multiplayer and actually fly online and now I would never go back. Having never flown DCS or BoX (I never felt the need after Cliffs!) I can't really compare sims but it is gratifying to find a fellow flight simmer describing Cliffs as 'more authentic!' Good stuff!

Here's to you sticking around and getting to meet us all in the air soon. Don't worry: we absolutely love 'noobs' flying with us because we were all new once and they are the future of Cliffs so..... welcome aboard!
    Good luck and see you 'up there!' Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.91 MB

Thanks for the welcome guys,
    I figure being new really is in keeping with the BOB, i've got a few hours on Hurricanes now, not much at all on spits yet, possibly more than some of the pilots that actually flew in the battle.
    unless you count watching the battle of britain, reach for the sky, or angels one five. in which case i've got many hours indeed

with regards the differences in BoX and CloD, i've generally found though BoX has better textures externally, internally CloD wins out, with regards to the flight model i've found CloD to be much superior, and if i don't mind saying slower. that is, the planes are flying at around the same base speeds but overall the flight model feels like it should when flying, instead of in BoX where you feel like you're going a million miles an hour regardless of what plane you're flying (ju 87 being the exception, that thing feels like a tractor in any engine)

all in all it just feels a bit more real as I say, you feel like you're flying a plane instead of controlling a rollercoaster. it's a bit odd.

is there a book section btw? i'd love to pick some further reading up, i'm currently reading Scramble, by Tom Neil and i'm eager for more.
    thanks
    Pete
    Some Useful aviation terms:
    Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.
    Firewall: Section of the aircraft specially designed to let heat and smoke enter the cockpit.
    Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
    Overshoot: To run out of ammo on your first pass.

Ryzen 5 3600 | 16Gigs DDR4 2666mhz | Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super 8gb | Win 10 Pro x64 |WD m.2 500gb
    Trackhat clip with PS3 eye| VKB Gladiator Mk.II | TWCS Throttle and rudder pedals | 2 x Logitech Throttle Quadrants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Books You Say! Start here .... https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ead.php?t=4051

I went through this tread one day and record the Titles that sounded interesting to me, when I finished the list it was over 100 books long.

Enjoy.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

Welcome aboard Mellon grab you self some teamspeak and come join the fight atag teamspeak is 216.52.148.29 password is calais

TWC teamspeak is twc.teamspeak3.com no password

where ever you play you will be welcome sir <S> Fatal
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

12. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    433.78 MB

I still have B17, and i started on flight sim 2000 the i moved on to combat filght sim 1,2,3 , also i still have battle of britain wings of victory 2 which i still love.

14. Likes No.119_Bruv, ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post