Thread: Blitz autopilot

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.33 GB

Blitz autopilot

Hi all,
    I have been referencing guides for level bombing in the Blenny,
    and a lot of them call for use of autopilot modes, especially mode 22?

On my copy of blitz, via steam, I have no such functionality, either autopilot on or off, acts like a wing leveller.
    I have autopilot 'No AI' unchecked in options.
    With it checked, nothing happens at all.

How can I get functionality, any help welcome.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: Blitz autopilot

You are probably using the "Toggle AI Control" (in General menu, by default key A).

For using the autopilot you must assign keys for the following commands (in Aircraft menu, no default keys set):

Course Autopilot - Cycle Modes
    Course Autopilot - Previous Mode (*)
    Course Autopilot - Next Mode (*)
    Course Autopilot - Adjust Course Left (*)
    Course Autopilot - Adjust Course Right (*)
    Course Autopilot - Disable

Not all are essential, just the ones I marked with a (*)

There are 3 autopilot modes (in that order):
    1. OFF
    2. Course mode (only directional control - use when climbing or descending)
    3. Mode 22 (directional and altitude control - use for level flight i.e. when bombing, you will lose 6-800 meters of altitude for the plane to gain speed, so kick it 6-800 m higher than your intended altitude - this gap can be reduced with proper trimming and gaining speed before kicking mode 22 in).

By pressing previous mode or next mode you can move back and forth between the various modes.

By pressing the adjust course left/right keys, you change the direction the autopilot is following, to the left or to the right.

My current key assignments are as follows (on QWERTY keyboard), but you can use whatever combination you feel comfortable with (just beware of double key assignments - while mapping you will hear a bip if key already assigned to something else):
    Course Autopilot - Previous Mode (CTRL+A)
    Course Autopilot - Next Mode (CTRL+S)
    Course Autopilot - Adjust Course Left (A)
    Course Autopilot - Adjust Course Right (S)

The direction of the autopilot is to be used in combination with the directional gyroscope. Both have to be aligned. There are separate keys that need to be set for that. Also in Aircraft menu (further down the list):
    Directional Gyro - Decrease (I have that assigned to Z)
    Directional Gyro - Increase (I have that assigned to X - could be the other way around, not sure)

Finally to visualize where you are heading you need to also assign keys to the course setter:
    Course Setter - Decrease (I have that assigned to Q)
    Course Setter - Increase (I have that assigned to W - could be the other way around, not sure)
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Jul-18-2019 at 05:28.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.33 GB

Re: Blitz autopilot

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    You are probably using the "Toggle AI Control" (in General menu, by default key A).

For using the autopilot you must assign keys for the following commands (in Aircraft menu, no default keys set):

Course Autopilot - Cycle Modes
    Course Autopilot - Previous Mode (*)
    Course Autopilot - Next Mode (*)
    Course Autopilot - Adjust Course Left (*)
    Course Autopilot - Adjust Course Right (*)
    Course Autopilot - Disable

Not all are essential, just the ones I marked with a (*)

There are 3 autopilot modes (in that order):
    1. OFF
    2. Course mode (only directional control - use when climbing or descending)
    3. Mode 22 (directional and altitude control - use for level flight i.e. when bombing, you will lose 6-800 meters of altitude for the plane to gain speed, so kick it 6-800 m higher than your intended altitude - this gap can be reduced with proper trimming and gaining speed before kicking mode 22 in).

By pressing previous mode or next mode you can move back and forth between the various modes.

By pressing the adjust course left/right keys, you change the direction the autopilot is following, to the left or to the right.

My current key assignments are as follows (on QWERTY keyboard), but you can use whatever combination you feel comfortable with (just beware of double key assignments - while mapping you will hear a bip if key already assigned to something else):
    Course Autopilot - Previous Mode (CTRL+A)
    Course Autopilot - Next Mode (CTRL+S)
    Course Autopilot - Adjust Course Left (A)
    Course Autopilot - Adjust Course Right (S)

The direction of the autopilot is to be used in combination with the directional gyroscope. Both have to be aligned. There are separate keys that need to be set for that. Also in Aircraft menu (further down the list):
    Directional Gyro - Decrease (I have that assigned to Z)
    Directional Gyro - Increase (I have that assigned to X - could be the other way around, not sure)

Finally to visualize where you are heading you need to also assign keys to the course setter:
    Course Setter - Decrease (I have that assigned to Q)
    Course Setter - Increase (I have that assigned to W - could be the other way around, not sure)

Yep, thats done it!
    I forgot to delete the key bind in ‘general’ when setting up.

Thank you sir!

4. Likes ATAG_Noofy, ATAG_Knight liked this post