Thread: gunsight far too big then too small with del and end keys more increments needed

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

gunsight far too big then too small with del and end keys more increments needed

Hi,
    The default view external is fish eye lens nearest wing overly big, hit delete and then zoom out and a correctly proportioned aircraft view results. however hop back into cockpit and gunsight is now far too big, on my 1920 x 1200 screen its 6.5 inches wide, so any realism is lost,as the real sight is about 4 inches wide, so hit 'end' key but now a sudden big difference in size, its only 2.6 inches wide and again the sense of being in a spit cockpit is lost as the cockpit is half scale. a model not an immersive realistic size.

We need options in between del and end so that the instrument panel and gunsight are as they would be in our vision. Del is great for undistorted aircraft stills as opposed to the fish eye lens ones that lose any sense of realism, but F1 needs to deliver us back into cockpit with gunsight 4 inches wide not 6.5, and inst panel would be like sitting behind the real thing, cockpit frames would be as reality, all in all you are then in a cockpit as it would be size wise in reality which is what its about is it not.

I understand some might not have a large screen (mine is 24inch) and screen sizes vary so to be able to alter the values for del and end and have more to choose from would be great, to set the 'in cockpit' view size to one that gives you correct size gunsight when hitting F1 rather than have to hit keyboard keys each time would be ideal.

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Re: gunsight far too big then too small with del and end keys more increments needed

You should go to options/controls/camera, and assign a key to "Hold to Change Field of View", then you can hold that key and scroll with the mouse at the same time and set whatever field of view you want, all increments are available, you can smoothly zoom in and out and set whatever size of cockpit suits your monitor. In the video below you'll see me scrolling in and out the field of view to a rather annoying extent. Its been in the game for ages...

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

3. Likes TWC_Padre, MrSteven liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: gunsight far too big then too small with del and end keys more increments needed

Quote Originally Posted by Bonditaria View Post
    .../controls/camera, and assign a key to "Hold to Change Field of View", then you can hold that key and scroll with the mouse
    Just in case, the control is not with mouse scroll (wheel), but with mouse back and forth (Y axis)movement - very awkward, specially in flight.

Instead set keys or joy buttons/HAT for "Field of View +" and "Field of View -".

BTW - Maximum increment will be more than with Del, End, Page Down keys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Just in case, the control is not with mouse scroll (wheel), but with mouse back and forth (Y axis)movement - very awkward, specially in flight.

Instead set keys or joy buttons/HAT for "Field of View +" and "Field of View -".

BTW - Maximum increment will be more than with Del, End, Page Down keys.
    Indeed "scroll" is not a good word. I use button 5 on a Logitech trackball for this, but also in flight I mainly use pov hat with fov+ fov-. Many options!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hi,
    I never knew this, and I will add this to my beginners guide now. This looks to be ideal for setting up the exact amount of cockpit magnification to get the gunsight and inst panel the correct size for realism.
    Once I have zoomed the cockpit to get the size I want, gunsight 4inch wide or whatever it should be, will it then keep that zoom size every time I fly the sim, or F1 hop back into cockpit from F2 external view ? i.e how do I lock that amount into the sim for all cockpit views from then on including relaunch prog next day ?

Furthermore when I hit F2 for external view, rather than have to hit del to lose the default distorted view, which takes me up close when I do so, so I then mouse drag and zoom outwards, then take stills etc, can I set the sim to be the 'del' view for F2 and be at a distance away of my choice, and lock that as default for use of F2 key ?

How did you manage to fly so perfectly whilst also moving mouse about, I would have been all over the place. right hand on stick and right hand on mouse ? left hand on throttle ?

Cheers

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Quote Originally Posted by BOBC View Post
    Hi,
    Hi

I never knew this, and I will add this to my beginners guide now. This looks to be ideal for setting up the exact amount of cockpit magnification to get the gunsight and inst panel the correct size for realism.
    This is what it is good for
    Once I have zoomed the cockpit to get the size I want, gunsight 4inch wide or whatever it should be, will it then keep that zoom size every time I fly the sim,
    no you have to change it every time you restart the game
    or F1 hop back into cockpit from F2 external view ?
    the FOV stays the same when you switch between for instance F1 to F2 views, and you cannot pre-set different FOV for internal and external views

i.e how do I lock that amount into the sim for all cockpit views from then on including relaunch prog next day ?
    you cannot do that

Furthermore when I hit F2 for external view, rather than have to hit del to lose the default distorted view, which takes me up close when I do so, so I then mouse drag and zoom outwards, then take stills etc,
    uh huh
    can I set the sim to be the 'del' view for F2 and be at a distance away of my choice, and lock that as default for use of F2 key ?
    no this is not possible

How did you manage to fly so perfectly whilst also moving mouse about, I would have been all over the place. right hand on stick and right hand on mouse ? left hand on throttle ?
    its a track replay, video-recorded with 'edit views' especially for you, simply to demonstrate the field-of-view-zoom-with-smooth-increments function for BOBC to understand. In this case I use TrackIR to look around, and right hand on trackball zooming in and out like crazy person. I use fov+/- on a pov hat on my stick in flight and don't zoom fov so much...

Cheers

BOBC
    cheers

edit:

here is the track viewed as originally flown, offline; with 0 fov changes and 0 times checking 6...
    Last edited by Bonditaria; Jul-22-2019 at 06:38.

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

8. Likes farley, danperin liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hi Bonditaria,
    Thats a shame the views cant be set as defaults for a user as that would be ideal as our eyes dont magnify, as humans we can pan but not zoom, I lean fwd and backward and with TrackIR one gets the same effect as one would get in reality. Also sounds as if , when I go F2 and have to use del and zoom out, then when stills made or whatever, hit F1 and back into cockpit, the view used in F2 will mean zooming again the cockpit.
    No doubt with some alteration of coding users views could be set as default , add this to the wish list, to have to keep altering view magnification is not ideal.

You have managed to capture the trk file, I wish I could.
    at https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=30278 having installed the suggested OBS I have failed, at least it captured the static CoD trk interface when I altered it to 'game capture' but continued to do so for the duration of playing the trk. any chance of saying how its done please , I currently want to impress a friend with some CoD extracts and encourage him to buy CoD, I also wish to get creative and need avi or mpg to edit a decent sequence together.

I may have improved the sound by turning off the audio desktop source and just using 'waht u hear', a setting I use with my Creative Labs Audigy sound system, X Fi elite pro. I need to check the difference one sound source makes, in theory better than both 'on' !

1Lokos, thanks for the advice
    maybe I will use buttons A and B on my stick in that case, unless I have them for other functions like bomb release, then keyb'd will get used, as having to move hand from stick to mouse isnt good, real shame we cant lock these values and be done with it.

Thanks

BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; Jul-22-2019 at 10:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

With OBS the best tip is this DO NOT START OBS UNTIL YOU ARE IN COCKPIT!

This doesn't mean "don't start recording until you are in cockpit", it means the OBS software must be closed until you can see the 3d world; then you go back to Windows and start OBS, then start recording in OBS, then go back into the game - you should be capturing the 3d world not the menu. Karaya said that on a youtube video where I learned everything i know about OBS. S! When I'm done recording I go back to Windows and click the exit button on OBS, click away any warnings. Videos folder of Windows contains new file.

Agree that more view options would be welcome. Like an entry in the context-menu for Cameras.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonditaria View Post
    With OBS the best tip is this DO NOT START OBS UNTIL YOU ARE IN COCKPIT!

This doesn't mean "don't start recording until you are in cockpit", it means the OBS software must be closed until you can see the 3d world; then you go back to Windows and start OBS, then start recording in OBS, then go back into the game - you should be capturing the 3d world not the menu. Karaya said that on a youtube video where I learned everything i know about OBS. S! When I'm done recording I go back to Windows and click the exit button on OBS, click away any warnings. Videos folder of Windows contains new file.

Agree that more view options would be welcome. Like an entry in the context-menu for Cameras.

sounds promising...
    I am making trk recordings then playing them back , I have just tried that, play trk and hit windows key, trk pauses, launch OBS set to game capture full screen and mic set to what u hear and stsem audio off, hit record, launch sim and trk plays, hit keybd shortcut for stop, OBS doesnt show a play button bit file show recordings sees win media player play it, AND OMG IT WORKS !!!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH NO ONE HAS ANSWERED MY POST ON THIS AND I WAS ABOUT TO GIVE UP.

That will also now go into my beginners guide !

Oh wow now to impress others and also get creative.

Find an editing prog now.

strange how these screen recorders struggle though,.
    Snagit (and I paid for it) fails as soon as flight starts, it goes from showing screen interface to jet black. ditto an F1 sim.

what is it with these progs they cant handle sims ?

BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; Jul-23-2019 at 18:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

sounds promising...
    I am making trk recordings then playing them back , I have just tried that, play trk and hit windows key, trk pauses, launch OBS set to game capture full screen and mic set to what u hear and stsem audio off, hit record, launch sim and trk plays, hit keybd shortcut for stop, OBS doesnt show a play button bit file show recordings sees win media player play it, AND OMG IT WORKS !!!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH NO ONE HAS ANSWERED MY POST ON THIS AND I WAS ABOUT TO GIVE UP.

That will also now go into my beginners guide !

Oh wow now to impress others and also get creative.

Find an editing prog now.

strange how these screen recorders struggle though,.
    Snagit (and I paid for it) fails as soon as flight starts, it goes from showing screen interface to jet black. ditto an F1 sim.

what is it with these progs they cant handle sims ?

BOBC
    Hi BOBC, additionally to opening OBS only when being in cockpit, if you opened OBS before you are in game, try close both game and OBS. Then try the procedure again.

My best cutting tool without long loading time is avidemux.
    It's best usecase is cut, copy, and paste video and audio clips together without remuxing again. Drag and drop.
    One of the best simplest and fastest editing program I could find.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Tibsun View Post
    Hi BOBC, additionally to opening OBS only when being in cockpit, if you opened OBS before you are in game, try close both game and OBS. Then try the procedure again.

My best cutting tool without long loading time is avidemux.
    It's best usecase is cut, copy, and paste video and audio clips together without remuxing again. Drag and drop.
    One of the best simplest and fastest editing program I could find.
    Hi,
    I have a list of downloads perplexed on which is best.
    video editor magix movie edit pro plus
    Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum
    Womble MPEG video wizard
    Video editor power director 16
    avidemux
    VideoPad video Editor

you are the second person to say go with AVIdemux.

not sure it will edit my 4K camcorder mp4 footage though but havent tried it yet.
    I also need frame by frame accuracy fwd and backwd, must install it and try it .

I can report back on the gunsight true size aim, settings two buttons to field of view + and - gave too big a step, 5 inch then 3.25inch and I need 4inch (must measure the gunsight to find out exactly what it was). setting keybd key 1 to hold to adjust field of view and moving mouse sees a smooth increase so I was able to set it to 4inch wide on rubber pad, then F2 gave me a decent undistorted external view so I could leave it at that ......BRILLIANT !
    correct view cockpit and correct view external. pity these cant be set and stored, fly the 109 and have to resize gunsight again, but once its the right size, F2 is a decent shape as well.

FANTASTIC and wish I had asked this before rather than keep poking buttons.

BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; Jul-24-2019 at 18:45.