Thread: Missions starting from cold dark start

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    52.31 MB

Missions starting from cold dark start

Hello,
    I'm new here and still learning the sim. I've been a bit frustrated with the lack of missions that start from the airfield runway or cold dark start. Can anyone direct me to the best place to find additional or edited missions that I could fly. I enjoy the start up, take offs and landings as much as the action so be great to find some appropriate missions. Ideally flying Spits with the RAF. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: Missions starting from cold dark start

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJLindsay View Post
    Hello,
    I'm new here and still learning the sim. I've been a bit frustrated with the lack of missions that start from the airfield runway or cold dark start. Can anyone direct me to the best place to find additional or edited missions that I could fly. I enjoy the start up, take offs and landings as much as the action so be great to find some appropriate missions. Ideally flying Spits with the RAF. Thanks.
    Hello and welcome.

Try this: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post336068

and let us know if this worked for you.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

3. Likes Bonditaria, ATAG_Vampire, Melonfish liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    52.31 MB

Many thanks for the warm welcome and the link. It works great!
    Just wondered if I can do this with all the missions? Also can I use another Thumbnail instead of the Blenheim?

I noticed an extensive mega pack for Malta on the Forum and wondered if there are whole campaigns where Ops start from the ground?
    Interested in Multiplayer too so any advise based on my enquires much appreciated. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

AndrewJLindsay

Most of missions of campaign's start with engine on and in runway, what have a reason (see bellow).

- If you are wingman, await "controller" authorize you take off, something like "Number3, you are cleared for take-off"

- If you are squadron leader, a bug in radio (COMM) make that requesting clearance for take-off is always denied (same for landing), so you need
    use a awkward workaround, turn autopilot on ("Toggle AI Control") and only take control again in route for mission first waypoint, if don't this your squadron don't follow you.

Most of mission makers avoid set missions with "cold start" because:

- Planes away spawn in the last (an distant) point of airfield, some have near 100, what means a length taxi for runway, what is impaired by wind bug - a strong action of wind over planes on ground, a 3 m/s (5.8 Knot) wind turn a bomber for wind direction, this make that Tiger Moth, supposedly to be an easy trainer, the most difficult plane to taxi, due their low power.

Anyway, an quick mission is with could start, for training start engine, take off and navigate for a nearest "target range" and practice strafe and bombing with Bf 109 E-3B (can replace with an Spitfire, hurricane... but without bombs).

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...d&downloadid=4

This mission use objects for block spawn points and force the plane spawn over runway, avoiding the annoying taxi.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Aug-07-2019 at 16:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Just wondered if I can do this with all the missions?

Yes, but will be more easy using Full Mission Builder (aka FMB), available in main menu > Extras, but have some "quirks" to overcome for edit Quick Missions.

[quote Also can I use another Thumbnail instead of the Blenheim?
    Yes, take a screenshoot - in controls > Game assign any joy button or keyboard key in the place of default PrintScreen for "Take ScreenShoot", this key for some unknown reason don't work, but don'use use F12 (see bellow)
    Screenshots are saved in Documents\1C soft...dover\Screenshots.
    Other option is use Steam screenshot with F12 key, but pictures are saved inside Steam "guts" making difficult find for edit.

OK, you have screenshot, now crop, cut... and resize for 256x180 and save with your custom mission copy name "Custom.jpg", and another reszed for 800x600 and named "Custom_lg.jpg.

First is thumbnail for mission selection, second for mission briefing. Places this pictures in the same folder of your custom mission, inside Documents\1C Soft...dover\Mission\.

The mission you create by copy Cross country mission is saved as "Custom.mis" and "custom.briefing", if want can rename, e. "Spitfire - Cold start.mis" and "Spitfire - Cold start. briefing".
    If want rename pictures with same name is need open the files "Spitfire - cold start.briefing" and change the name there too, for keep the pictures linked.

I noticed an extensive mega pack for Malta on the Forum and wondered if there are whole campaigns where Ops start from the ground?
    I guess not, due reasons above (long taxi, wind), but you can easily add the SetOnPark 1 on .mis files like explained in the link above.

BTW - Malta is fictional, set on Isle of Wight.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Aug-07-2019 at 16:02.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    52.31 MB

Ok brilliant that really helpful thank you.
    I'm struggling with my HOTAS Warthog and throttle as they are not recognised in the game.
    I've switch off the controller support in steam but still no joy.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Ok brilliant that really helpful thank you.
    I'm struggling with my HOTAS Warthog and throttle as they are not recognised in the game.
    I've switch off the controller support in steam but still no joy.

Any ideas?
    It is important that you plug in your various controller in order of importance.

Also that you go into Windows and indicate which is the primary controller. (joystick)

Otherwise the game will sometimes recognize a set of rudder pedals as a primary controller.

Also make sure your controllers are not be powered off by Windows... it will use the built 'saving power' feature to turn off your controller, and then the game loses recognition of it. You need to go into windows an uncheck the box which allows Windows to turn the controller, '...to save power'.

See the various suggestions for curing glitches and bugs in Windows and the game here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum...al-assistance/

9. Likes SD_MBen liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    52.31 MB

Ok brilliant problem solved.
    Now just need to learn to fly the spit.

Thank you.

11. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

AndrewJLindsay

Now just need to learn to fly the spit.
    Use Chuck_Owl guides:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-u...JmdGlxZ2M/view
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-u...txZ19GTFU/view

Navigation, weapons settings:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-u...xna21MTXM/view

13. Likes SD_MBen liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    52.31 MB

Ok great, thank you for the training links.
    I think I might be ready to try flying in action.
    Do you know of any campaigns and single missions that start on the ground.
    Just downloaded the operation Dynamo Camp but the first sortie is in the air again. So frustrating!

15. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Ok great, thank you for the training links.
    I think I might be ready to try flying in action.
    Just downloaded the operation Dynamo Camp but the first sortie is in the air again. So frustrating!
    Again, best and fastest way for training is to join us on multiplayer and teamspeak.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Try the ATAG server. All missions have ground start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    293.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    Again, best and fastest way for training is to join us on multiplayer and teamspeak.
    ^^This will be the fastest way to clear the learning curve.^^

When I started, I tried to learn on my own to not bother those flying in multiplayer.... boy I was wrong, it was a real struggle. SO when I did jump online, I received so much assistance from ATAG players, and everyone else online. I tell you the community here is amazing, and always ready to help. Just join the teamspeak channel, and ask for help. Heck if you see me on, and I am on BLUE, I promise I will take the time to jump on RED to assist. Just chat me up, and I'd love to help.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    52.31 MB

Hi All,

Thanks for all your supportive comments. I've downloaded the team speak and looking to join the ATAG multiplayer as you guys seem to suggest that as the best way forward.
    Whats the best way to join this in the appropriate sessions so i don't annoy people while I get used to the aircraft? Also I think I need a pass code to access the Team speak client so what are the best channels to go through to do this?

Looking forward to getting started.

20. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Hi Andrew and welcome!

Anytime is a good time to join us on Teamspeak. Don’t be shy, just introduce yourself and ask the best way to get to the action. If you see anyone with ATAG before his name, ask if you can wing up with him. We’re very happy to see new players and want to do all we can to get you flying.

re Teamspeak - the password for ATAG Teamspeak is calais

Be sure to assign a joystick button or keyboard key for Push To Talk. In a very short time it becomes second nature using it, and it prevents the usual household noises from getting picked up by your microphone.

Between times get to know your chosen aircraft by trying the various Quick and Single Missions in Single Player. Many players use their joystick’s hatswitch to look around, and do very well. Many others have opted for some form of head tracking device which is very immersive.

Another direction to go is to check out the various squads that you’ll see in this forum. Many are recruiting and have training programs which very quickly can turn you into an ace/experten pilot, not to mention the camaraderie that goes with it.

Good luck and see you in our virtual skies soon!

Cheers!

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

22. Likes ATAG_Scones, DerDa, Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Hi Andrew

The ATAG server is a great server which hosts some incredible events by some even more incredible players, but for someone new to playing online, it may be too restrictive: the ATAG server is set to full realism i.e. no external views, no labels, no map icons, no padlocking, complex engine management etc., which gives the pilot a sense of what it would be like to be flying an actual plane. However you have to know your aircraft well, and how to manage it.You need to understand at least some navigation basics, and it can be frustrating when in the midst of action, loosing sight of your opponent, only to suddenly feel the sting of his hits on your aircraft.

DangerDogz server on the other hand, is the exact opposite i.e allows external views, allows padlocking, uses labels when the aircraft is within a certain distance, and uses map icons so you can see where your targets are, and where you are, should you loose your bearing and get lost. It also uses AI piloted aircraft, so in addition to being able to match yourself against other sim pilots, you can hone your skills on combating AI's. Remember it's a big map and you could fly for hours without encountering another player, if you so choose. DangerDogz is a great server to get your feet wet, and on it you will often meet pilots there from the various squadrons that have been established, including ATAG pilots.

Any server is setup with whatever limitations the server owner wants to impose. The other servers you will encounter have varying degrees between what you will experience on the DangerDogz server and the ATAG server. I myself prefer the more realistic server settings, but I will often use the DangerDogz server when learning to fly a new aircraft, or navigation/bombing technique.

So explore and have fun. You will find an amazing community here. Recognize the pilots you meet here are similar to you in many ways. This sim is not your "arcade" type sim in which you jump into a game and blast your way to victory (or not). Each of us has had to invest in learning the techniques of piloting these complex machines. We love it , we love WWII aircraft, the history of the era, the desire to be "fully immersed" in the environment. We love chatting and learning from each other. You'll learn this as you become involved yourself. And as you grow in experience and knowledge you too will graduate towards the more realistic servers.

24. Likes Tufty, Gingerbread liked this post