Thread: Damage Zones

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Damage Zones

Here’s an interesting post I picked up on FaceBook (yeah, I’m a sucker for punishment, but here goes! )

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Damage Zones

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post

yeah, I’m a sucker for punishment, but here goes! )
    In cats
    In a study performed in 1987 it was reported that cats who fall from less than six stories, and are still alive, have greater injuries than cats who fall from higher than six stories.[12][13] It has been proposed that this might happen because cats reach terminal velocity after righting themselves at about five stories, and after this point they relax, leading to less severe injuries in cats who have fallen from six or more stories.[14]

In 2008, The Straight Dope newspaper column proposed that another possible explanation for this phenomenon[15] would be survivorship bias. Cats that die in falls are less likely to be brought to a veterinarian than injured cats, and thus many of the cats killed in falls from higher buildings are not reported in studies of the subject.[16]

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Pienoir liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Arthursmedley View Post
    In cats
    In a study performed in 1987 it was reported that cats who fall from less than six stories, and are still alive, have greater injuries than cats who fall from higher than six stories.[12][13] It has been proposed that this might happen because cats reach terminal velocity after righting themselves at about five stories, and after this point they relax, leading to less severe injuries in cats who have fallen from six or more stories.[14]

In 2008, The Straight Dope newspaper column proposed that another possible explanation for this phenomenon[15] would be survivorship bias. Cats that die in falls are less likely to be brought to a veterinarian than injured cats, and thus many of the cats killed in falls from higher buildings are not reported in studies of the subject.[16]

Isn't this where the natural selection thing comes into play?
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

From my perspective it seems like a very interesting and informative post Snapper!
    Very intriguing, not quite as intriguing however as the fact that my sister found this before I did as I saw her reading through it the other day. I didn't think that kind of stuff was even on her side of the table?

The logic here does seem rather strait forward when you think about it. The main undamaged areas being the connection of the tailplane to the rest of the fuselage, the fuel tanks and engines, and basically the nose/cockpit. I think we have probably all seen at least one of these categories of damages on a plane which is going or gone down.
    Not pleasant stuff :/

fascinating nonetheless.

6. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post