Thread: Windows 10 upgrade

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Windows 10 upgrade

I see that good old windows 7 will be going down the toilet in January ...Where does one get the upgrade? I looked on newegg and others and all that seems to be there are full previous installs for upgrades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    100.64 MB

Re: Windows 10 upgrade

Same boat, will just have to buy W10..

3. Likes IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

I've had the same "computer guy" for about 18 years so I trust him. He told me to just whipe everything and install it fresh. What I'm going to do is buy a bigger HD witch I need badly and just install it on that.

5. Likes TWC_Padre, Mysticpuma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

How install Windows 10 free (in 2019), using your actual Win 7 key:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/u...indows-10-free

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...heap,5717.html

7. Likes farley, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Beware the May 2019 Win 10 update (1903) - it's been causing issues for me.

I'm using a G-sync 144Hz monitor which requires VSync to be enabled either ingame or via the driver to have a fluid, tearing-free experience.
    When Windows decided to upgrade from 1809 to 1903 CloD would suddenly start to get locked down to 60fps with VSync on. Switching VSync off unlocked fps again but at the price of horrible tearing, all that with G-sync on. I upgraded my graphics card driver to the latest version, disabled the Windows game bar and game mode, tried both ingame Vsync and the driver-side Vsync options, checked if my monitor's refresh rate was correctly set in the various system settings but to no avail. The funny thing was that if I forced Vsync through the driver my fps were locked at 60, when I set Vsync to "fast" they doubled to 120. In both cases the game however was choppy with noticeable delay in reponse.

With 1903 fullscreen Vsync seems to be FUBAR, not matter the settings. In the end I decided to roll back to 1809 and now everything is working perfectly fine again. I've blocked the update service for now so I dont get the update forced through Windows update but I assume I can't stay on 1809 forever.

9. Likes ATAG_Noofy, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

I am running Windows 7 on my rig and I am loathed to upgrade to windows 10 which has caused all manner of problems with cliffs, (Just read the current chat for evidence of the latest issue).

I only use my rig for cliffs and have a windows 10 laptop for my other computing needs, so what happens if I don't upgrade?, will my rig suddenly stop working?, will I no longer be able to play cliffs on it?

If it's just a case of Microsoft no longer supporting Windows 7 with updates and the like, I can live with that

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.56 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Laser View Post
    I am running Windows 7 on my rig and I am loathed to upgrade to windows 10 which has caused all manner of problems with cliffs, (Just read the current chat for evidence of the latest issue).

I only use my rig for cliffs and have a windows 10 laptop for my other computing needs, so what happens if I don't upgrade?, will my rig suddenly stop working?, will I no longer be able to play cliffs on it?

If it's just a case of Microsoft no longer supporting Windows 7 with updates and the like, I can live with that
    I would suggest to go for a fresh install of PRO 64bit, and the version before 'fall creators' (1603?), thus not the latest version, because of too many bugs.
    My second boot partition has 7 Ultimate 64bit, and runs fine with games and more BTW.
    Used Win 10 PRO for quite a while, using tools to disable updates, Edge and much more, impossible to do with 'Home'; only downloaded important security updates manually.
    I bought a license after that on Ebay for Windows LTSB from 1916, never looked back; fast & stable ,but you'll need to allow updates occasionally. J

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by JG4_Karaya View Post
    Beware the May 2019 Win 10 update (1903) - it's been causing issues for me.

I'm using a G-sync 144Hz monitor which requires VSync to be enabled either ingame or via the driver to have a fluid, tearing-free experience.
    When Windows decided to upgrade from 1809 to 1903 CloD would suddenly start to get locked down to 60fps with VSync on. Switching VSync off unlocked fps again but at the price of horrible tearing, all that with G-sync on. I upgraded my graphics card driver to the latest version, disabled the Windows game bar and game mode, tried both ingame Vsync and the driver-side Vsync options, checked if my monitor's refresh rate was correctly set in the various system settings but to no avail. The funny thing was that if I forced Vsync through the driver my fps were locked at 60, when I set Vsync to "fast" they doubled to 120. In both cases the game however was choppy with noticeable delay in reponse.

With 1903 fullscreen Vsync seems to be FUBAR, not matter the settings. In the end I decided to roll back to 1809 and now everything is working perfectly fine again. I've blocked the update service for now so I dont get the update forced through Windows update but I assume I can't stay on 1809 forever.

Vsync doesnt mess with Gsync at all, id not use Vsync there if i had Gsync, the 2 are working independently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

It does

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gs...-and-settings/

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gs...d-settings/15/

GSync on its own does not work properly in CloD. You need Vsync to run as well, or you get tearing all over.
    Last edited by Karaya; Aug-31-2019 at 15:35.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It does

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gs...-and-settings/

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gs...d-settings/15/

GSync on its own does not work properly in CloD. You need Vsync to run as well, or you get tearing all over.
    For some reason the website didnt take my post: What Vsync does here is make the framebuffer wait for the completion of the scanning cycle, which is dynamic with G-Sync, thats also the reason why it merely affects Outputlag

Vsync will also keep your FPS at 144 or below making sure that you dont get tearing, so if you have G-Sync enabled but your FPS go above your Monitor refreshrate you will still get tearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

I am running RTSS as well to limit my fps to 141. However when VSync is off I do get tearing in CloD even though GSync is on (confirmed by the onscreen indicator). The only combination that worked satisfactorily for me is Gsync on, VSync on and fps cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

I've been so lucky with this System.An asus P6TD Deluxe I7 975 with a very little 500 gig HD that still works fine after eight years 16 gigs of ram now and the lian-lee case fans still hum along flawlessly. It's huge and ugly but it works great. I guess it will survive windows 10 and a bigger HD. I have size 13 feet too. My friend Fred's first words were.."Oh ya got a new space heater."
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Sep-01-2019 at 18:41.

17. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Laser View Post

No, it won't suddenly stop. It will just not get any security patches anymore. And all the bad guys out there know that. They also know that many, many people will keep running Windows 7 without security patches for a while. So they'll target that. The risk of being hit is not 100%, but substantial.

If you permanently disconnect that machine from the internet (and the local network) you'll be safe. Otherwise not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

So...

I found out why I wasnt getting more than 60 fps in CloD with the latest Win 10 build (1903). When I got my new 144Hz GSync monitor I had set the ingame monitor freq to 144Hz. Shortly after I had to fall back to an older conf.ini which was still set to 60Hz. Somehow that didnt cause any issues ingame, the game still ran on 144Hz regardless of the ingame setting. That was on the previous Win 10 build (1809).

After performing the update the ingame setting suddenly came into effect and limited the game to 60fps (with V-Sync on). I've set the ingame freq back to 144Hz now and it's working as intended again incl. G-Sync, V-Sync and fps cap. The thing that puzzles me is why the 60Hz ingame setting made no difference on the older Win 10 version though. Seems like the Windows display setting somehow overruled the ingame setting.

20. Likes DRock, farley, ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Shortly after I had to fall back to an older conf.ini which was still set to 60Hz.

Which conf.ini file is this? And how can I change it?
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Sep-02-2019 at 09:01.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

The one in the documents folder. I wouldnt go about manually changing it though. Just start the game, go under video settings and search for your preferable resolution and monitor frequency!

23. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.56 GB

Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    I've been so lucky with this System.An asus P6TD Deluxe I7 975 with a very little 500 gig HD that still works fine after eight years 16 gigs of ram now and the lian-lee case fans still hum along flawlessly. It's huge and ugly but it works great. I guess it will survive windows 10 and a bigger HD. I have size 13 feet too. My friend Fred's first words were.."Oh ya got a new space heater."
    I use a P6T SE, i7 920, windows 10 LTSB, (and 7 dual boot), SSD and a large drive for the rest ... not really a heater IMO, runs fairly OK with an ASUS R7 360 OC. Wonder what GPU you use ... seems the needed PCIe slot is only 2.0 on this mainboard, not overclocked. J

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

The one in the documents folder. I wouldnt go about manually changing it though. Just start the game, go under video settings and search for your preferable resolution and monitor frequency!
    Yep, that's what I thought.
    My monitor is supposed to be 100Hz but the max choice I get in the video menu is 60Hz...
    Should dig more into the manual I guess
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Are you sure you have your monitor set up correctly inside Windows? You need to have your monitor's refresh rate set both inside the display settings panel under system control, as well as in the Nvidia control panel.

Clipboard01.png

Clipboard02.png

27. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Yes I know.
    It seems the monitor comes at default 60Hz, but can be overclocked to 100Hz through G-Sync, but this has to be enabled manually in the monitor settings menu.

Same goes for the resolution. I was at 1920x1080 60Hz, and after tweaking in the menu I am now at 3440x1440 100Hz. Wow! what a difference.
    I should have RTFM...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

[QUOTE=1lokos;337623]How install Windows 10 free (in 2019), using your actual Win 7 key:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/u...indows-10-free

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...heap,5717.html[/QUOTE

Today I have tried to upgrade to Windows 10 for free using the above links.

I have my Windows 7 Key, I have created a Windows 10 installer on a USB flash drive and restarted my computer, booting from the USB flash drive.

I got to the stage just after inserting the key and got an error message telling me that I cannot continue and that I needed to restart normally and then run the windows 10 installer, but then got a different error message telling me that my current version of windows did not support the upgrade... so, back to the drawing board.

I was hoping to just upgrade without affecting my files, as before with the free upgrade previously offered by Microsoft, but it seems I cannot do this.

Looks like I am going to have to wipe the lot and start again...yikes!!!

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Open Google and type"How to upgrade to Windows 10 (Free)".Google will recommend some best/popular methods for you.
    As well as you can search video tutorials on Youtube,the video tutorial will be more detailed.