Thread: Any Bristol Beaufighter Guide?

Novice Pilot
    British California aka British Columbia, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Any Bristol Beaufighter Guide?

I have Chucks Guide II and a lot of single data sheets and checklists for the various ingame airplanes, but nothing on the Bristol Beaufighter. I found Chuck's guide very helpful and since I'm about return to the game to tackle the Beufighter campaign, I'm looking for any docs for it.

I'm aware the Beaufighter was added much later to the game, but I'm wondering if any fan has made a guide for it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Re: Any Bristol Beaufighter Guide?

3. Likes DRock liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    Yes, definitely helpful - thanks for the link. I'd love to see some images like in Chuck's guide to know where all those instruments mentioned are, but since it's my 2nd pass I think I can figure them out. I could also just free flight and grab a few screen shots. What about weapons - any doc out there? I've read about some Beaufighters being equipped with rockets and bombs, but that webpage seems to only mention guns and cannons. Is it because the CLOD version only has ballistic weapons?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

The version currently in game does not carry bombs.
    Rockets and torpedoes came still later.

Right now the Beaufighter has four 20mm canons and six 303s and tons of ammo
    Certainly enough to enflict some severe damage (alas not on fuel depots or merchant ships )

All guns go off when you pull the trigger. When you spend the ammo of one drum (60 shots I believe) of 20mm you have to wait for about half a minute until your 'observer' reloaded the guns. All in all you have four drums.

The Beau is somewhat notorious because its engines need a relatively long time to warm up.
    Try this:
    Apply chocks
    Open fuel cocks (both rings to 'Inner')
    Do not open radiators
    Turn on boost cut-out
    Open throttle to 8%
    Select engine 1, start it
    Select engine 2, start it
    Select both engines and wait for about 30 seconds (there is a clock in the cockpit)
    now open throttle to 12% and wait approx. 2 and a half minutes more
    then push the throttle quickly forward (if you forgot to apply chocks, now it's too late )

Most of the times the engines will catch on, if they stop, start them again one by one and wait a bit longer.

The gauges for engine temperature do not work properly at low temperatures, so you can't use them for the starting procedure.

If you want to have a real blast then fly straight on deck (best about one foot above the sea), 110% throttle, radiators 50%, prop pitch full fine and watch the speed dial

6. Likes ATAG_Vampire, DRock liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Thanks for the info DerDa, very helpful; especially the warm up procedure.