Thread: Flight modelling twin engine aircrafts

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    76.64 MB

Flight modelling twin engine aircrafts

I have a remark about the flight modelling for twin engine aircrafts. When running on 1 engine it is very difficult to keep the aircraft in the air.
    In almost all cases resulting in a crash.

This should not be the case, these aircrafts were designed to fly on 1 engine. Lately I saw a video of a factory flying test of a He111 which had no problem flying on 1 engine. When I saw that I realised that in sim this is totally different.

Also the AI is affected by this, the AI He111 for example is always crashing with one engine running. In fact most of the kills on He111s I make is shooting up one engine and after a while the bomber will crash,
    this would probably be no kill in real life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Flight modelling twin engine aircrafts

Hello Bussard

Twin engined aircraft were often, but not always designed to fly with only one engine.

Some types were capable of flying, but lost height over time.

Any aircraft which has sustained damage will have additional drag on the airframe and that will make flying on one engine very difficult.

If the remaining engine has taken any damage, then the chances of maintaining flight drop even more.

Questions:

- Are you trimming the aircraft control surfaces correctly when flying with one engine? (elevator, rudder, ailerons if they are trimmable)

- If the propellors can be feathered, are you feathering them? Generally the German types can manually feather their propellors. (change maximum coarse pitch... below 0%)

- Are you setting the radiators to the correct opening? Close them as much as possible... but don't overheat.

In my own testing of the twin engined types in the game I have been able to fly all with one engine... although sometimes this is with gradual altitude loss.

3. Likes farley, Gingerbread, Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    76.64 MB

Any aircraft which has sustained damage will have additional drag on the airframe and that will make flying on one engine very difficult.
    If the remaining engine has taken any damage, then the chances of maintaining flight drop even more.
    Agree I should consider the additional drag.

Questions:

- Are you trimming the aircraft control surfaces correctly when flying with one engine? (elevator, rudder, ailerons if they are trimmable)
    Yes, I use elevator, rudder trim (Bf110) and aileron trim (He111) to control the aircraft.

- If the propellors can be feathered, are you feathering them? Generally the German types can manually feather their propellors. (change maximum coarse pitch... below 0%)
    Yes, I feather the prop to reduce resistance.

- Are you setting the radiators to the correct opening? Close them as much as possible... but don't overheat.
    Only close 1/4 max.

In my own testing of the twin engined types in the game I have been able to fly all with one engine... although sometimes this is with gradual altitude loss.[/QUOTE]
    AI seems to be not capable, would be nice if they learn the trick.
    Last edited by Bussard; Sep-15-2019 at 19:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bussard View Post
    Agree I should consider the additional drag.

Questions:

Yes, I use elevator, rudder trim (Bf110) and aileron trim (He111) to control the aircraft.

Yes, I feather the prop to reduce resistance.

Only close 1/4 max.

In my own testing of the twin engined types in the game I have been able to fly all with one engine... although sometimes this is with gradual altitude loss.
    AI seems to be not capable, would be nice if they learn the trick.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately AI are not as capable as humans... depending on their skill level.

At this stage the AI code does not allow them to feather props.

Unlikely we will be able to change this for TF 5.0. When we add auto feathering for human controlled aircraft in TF 6.0, we may add it for AI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    I suggest to check the Bf 110 about this aspect too ( airframe damage ).
    I have noted, in fact, that also if you have only very small holes in the wing\s ( also just one hole is enough ) the Bf 110 drag toward the ground seems to increase a bit too much and the aircraft immediately have the tendency to " point the nose down " very hard despite the small damage received.
    In addition the tail section of the aircraft seems a little bit too much prone to get cut, also by 303 caliber rounds ( and this becomes very evident, IMHO, when hit by the 20mm cannons of the Beaufighter that are very devastating also when the enemy attacking " spray and pray " from very long distances ).
    Some days ago, while having some training flight, I was attacked by a Beaufighter that hit my tail section with no more than 2-3 20mm rounds fired from an exstimated distance of 600-700 meters and my tail and rudder surfaces got completely destroyed and cut ( and I've had the feeling that the shells were provoking damage also just passing close to the tail section surfaces but this is something still to be tested well before making an " official " statement about this )
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SKG 210_Mölders View Post
    I suggest to check the Bf 110 about this aspect too ( airframe damage ).
    I have noted, in fact, that also if you have only very small holes in the wing\s ( also just one hole is enough ) the Bf 110 drag toward the ground seems to increase a bit too much and the aircraft immediately have the tendency to " point the nose down " very hard despite the small damage received.
    In addition the tail section of the aircraft seems a little bit too much prone to get cut, also by 303 caliber rounds ( and this becomes very evident, IMHO, when hit by the 20mm cannons of the Beaufighter that are very devastating also when the enemy attacking " spray and pray " from very long distances ).
    Some days ago, while having some training flight, I was attacked by a Beaufighter that hit my tail section with no more than 2-3 20mm rounds fired from an exstimated distance of 600-700 meters and my tail and rudder surfaces got completely destroyed and cut ( and I've had the feeling that the shells were provoking damage also just passing close to the tail section surfaces but this is something still to be tested well before making an " official " statement about this )
    Damage modeling will see a complete revision for TF 5.0.

8. Likes ATAG_Kulea, Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bussard View Post
    I have a remark about the flight modelling for twin engine aircrafts. When running on 1 engine it is very difficult to keep the aircraft in the air.
    In almost all cases resulting in a crash.

This should not be the case, these aircrafts were designed to fly on 1 engine. Lately I saw a video of a factory flying test of a He111 which had no problem flying on 1 engine. When I saw that I realised that in sim this is totally different.

Also the AI is affected by this, the AI He111 for example is always crashing with one engine running. In fact most of the kills on He111s I make is shooting up one engine and after a while the bomber will crash,
    this would probably be no kill in real life.
    Hi Bussard,

With practice the -110 and -111 are relatively easy to fly on 1 engine. In the -110 its also possible to climb - just - on 1 engine. I think Buzz has mentioned all the important stuff but here's an old thread in case you want to review your procedure. Its now possible to feather the prop which makes a big difference.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...hlight=Feather

Its still posdible with some airframe damage but it u get too much it becomes very tricky. I havent figured out how to tell the gunner to jump to reduce weight yet though.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post
    Hi Bussard,

With practice the -110 and -111 are relatively easy to fly on 1 engine.
    Same for the Blenheim and the Beaufighter.

11. Likes Gingerbread liked this post