Thread: Does burned aileron/rudder/stabilizer fabric impact functionality?

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Does burned aileron/rudder/stabilizer fabric impact functionality?

When an aircraft's control surfaces have the fabric covering burned/shot away is there an impact to the control surfaces? For example, if a 109s left aileron is gone from fire does it no longer work - making it more difficult to turn? Watching some in game tracks it doesn't seem to but I could be wrong.

2. Likes Bussard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    83.04 MB

Re: Does burned aileron/rudder/stabilizer fabric impact functionality?

From my ignorance I will tell you NO!

I want to think that what affects is the impact of the bullets.

That is: if they touch you with fire and do not touch any vital element and the fire goes out, then nothing happens .......... the aerodynamics of that part may be affected, but you will not even appreciate it

If they touch you with fire and also damage the spoiler movement system due to direct impacts of lead, then the effect will be the same as if the bullets were not incendiary

Fire only affects if it doesn't go out and you become a human torch

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SamJoDo View Post
    When an aircraft's control surfaces have the fabric covering burned/shot away is there an impact to the control surfaces? For example, if a 109s left aileron is gone from fire does it no longer work - making it more difficult to turn? Watching some in game tracks it doesn't seem to but I could be wrong.
    It does really hard, even if the burn or the holes aren't visible.
    To me, subjectively, non visible damage makes the control surfaces half as strong as they used to.
    One with 100% burned off and one 0% makes it 40% as strong.
    And one 100% and one 50% burned off makes it 10% strong.
    Subjectively to me.
    If you ever get your surface burned, you will think it's way to much, trust me, you sometimes don't even see the damage to it, but you feel very clumsy.

Now to your enemy's opinion.
    It depends what surface you hit, if you hit ailerons, then this does not effect the turn, but just the roll ability. Less nimble, but same turn ability.
    Now if you hit the elevator, this does affect turn, but 109s don't like to turn much as they will lose to quickly energy, they like to stick straight as they did before.
    Means you see no difference mostly, as they usually fly very stiff, they are also very stiff in high speed anyway.
    Now they also can adjust the independent "horizontal stabilizer", to make them turn a tad better. (Stabilizer turns visible with the trim, but it is not really independet for aerodynamic effects in this game, so doing this is not more effective as adjusting non stabilizer elevators in other aircraft.)
    My guesswork for reality would be also, 109s are notorious for stiff controls in high speed, now having less surface would make the stick less stiff in high speed is my assumption, which increases again the turn ability by being able to overcome the stiffness a tad, but that's really hardguessing, no prove or anything.
    Last edited by Tibsun; Sep-16-2019 at 11:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    83.04 MB

we are all flown with holes
    And we have not noticed any changes in piloting

it has all happened to us

Even with holes in the fuselage you will only notice changes when the surface is lost or the contol is sanitized

I dare to say that even the holes in the fuselage do not greatly affect the fligh

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Pienoir View Post
    we are all flown with holes
    And we have not noticed any changes in piloting

it has all happened to us

Even with holes in the fuselage you will only notice changes when the surface is lost or the contol is sanitized

I dare to say that even the holes in the fuselage do not greatly affect the fligh
    This is not personally really, no atack, but you either don't fly enough or have no glue.
    You probably would say you fly with 100% rads, because lowering them to 30% don't make you faster.
    Now watch me fly away like rocket. After 3 bullets I fly slower than with 100% rads open.
    It's very easy to do.
    Side by side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    83.04 MB

Hehe
    No problem

Indeed, I miss those small details of closing the radiators to gain 10km / h

I don't even keep the CS on many occasions, and instead of climbing I lose height like a barbecue until I'm knocked down

This is rather a matter of physics modeled in the simulator

Bullet holes will only affect your flight when they touch the engine, radiators or control systems

If they will not be a mere graphic adornment, surely like that fire of the incendiary bullets that end up extinguishing

Someone who knows the damage model very well will answer better than me

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

in my experience burned control surfaces absolutely affect its ability to perform... aileron, elevator rudder... If you manage to get a wing fire (full wing fire on a 109) you ability to roll drops significantly as well as adding significant drag to you plane.

In a spitfire having holes in your wings cause significant drag and affect lift, so wing stalling happens much sooner.

9. Likes ATAG_TCP, DRock liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

On the 110 if your wing catches fire the wing will gradually lose lift due to the destroyed wing area and increasing aeliron trim is required to fly straight and level. Eventually after 5-10 mins the wing stops producing enought lift and down you go...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Burned/Shot up control surfaces definitely suffer from impaired effectiveness. This has been so since the original release.

12. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    83.04 MB

I thought that the percentage accumulated damage made the plane more vulnerable to new attacks or strong maneuvers and that only the loss of the surface or damage to the control system affected the flight.

It's interesting but they don't clarify how physics measures this.
    the burned aileron or the bullets in the fuselage

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Pienoir View Post
    I thought that the percentage accumulated damage made the plane more vulnerable to new attacks or strong maneuvers and that only the loss of the surface or damage to the control system affected the flight.

It's interesting but they don't clarify how physics measures this.
    the burned aileron or the bullets in the fuselage

As you can see in this part of the video, I got damaged so much, I was doing rolling loops trying to maintain the flight.
    I couldn't speed up anymore and only had 350 km/h maximum speed in a dive.
    At the end I probably was forced to crashland as I had completly lost my ailerons.
    I get stuck controls alot by small caliber, although I think that this isn't right like that often instead them being loose.

In CloD if you get damaged, you fly like a brick, but fall like a feather.
    Means you are more likely to survive a crash when being damaged that hard (like in the video).
    Your "freefall" in this case is so slow that you fall to the ground like a feather.

The question of the OP was if damage affects control surfaces.
    Nobody said, it's physics is perfectly realistic.
    Last edited by Tibsun; Sep-17-2019 at 15:48. Reason: Typos