Thread: Typhoon vs Gestapo - RAF Pilot Rogue Attack 1943

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Typhoon vs Gestapo - RAF Pilot Rogue Attack 1943

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Typhoon vs Gestapo - RAF Pilot Rogue Attack 1943

Wow! Such a great story!

My wife, Mrs Snapper, was greatly interested since, as a young lady in the ‘60’s, she attended the International School in Brussels and lived on Avenue Louise, just a few blocks down from the former Gestapo HQ at 453 Avenue Louise. Every weekend she would walk right past the former HQ to the Bois de la Cambre to go horse back riding. She had absolutely no knowledge of the building’s former notoriety and the evil within, nor of the raid itself.

I’ve attached a Google Map showing the location of 453 Avenue Louise and where Mrs Snapper lived in the mid-60’s.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Cool Snapper

Looks like this is the statue from the street view of the Baron.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

4. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Scones, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    Cool Snapper

Looks like this is the statue from the street view of the Baron.

I wonder when that statue was installed. My wife remembers nothing of it, although she was just a 16 year old schoolgirl back in '65. Unless it was painted in psychedelic colours with flashing lights, it's very doubtful she would've noticed it. LOL

When I watched your YouTube link this a.m. my wife overheard the reference of Gent --> Brussels since she knows that part of Belgium, then she REALLY got interested at the mention of Louise Avenue. "I used to live there!" she exclaimed!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

6. Likes RAF74_Buzzsaw, Vlerkies, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Fascinating and brilliant tale there Vlerkies, and wonderful to hear Mrs. Snapper have something interesting to light up her day
    Where abouts were you in 65 Mr. Snapper?

8. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_TCP View Post
    Where abouts were you in 65 Mr. Snapper?
    Heh, nowhere near anything that interesting! I grew up in the small town of Greenfield Park, a suburb of Montreal, Quebec. A carefree childhood - school, hockey, baseball, tennis, and just riding our bikes as kids do. All thanks to The Greatest Generation before us.

10. Likes ATAG_TCP, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Love it!
    Maybe not as fascinating to some, but all just as important. Lots of unique memories too! Along with a unique adventure in store

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    I wonder when that statue was installed.
    My google-fu has let me down despite repeated re-fuels of Glenlivet, no idea when that was commissioned (would be cool to know though, anyone?)

btw: Mark Felton who made this video, an author and historian, has a wonderful YouTube channel and is a great narrator.
    Most of it is WW2 based.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfC...S1ONgww/videos

He seems to upload these little snippets regularly, so worth a subscription if you are interested in this part of our history.