Thread: Spitfire clipped prop at Duxford during takeoff, narrowly escaped disaster. Video

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Spitfire clipped prop at Duxford during takeoff, narrowly escaped disaster. Video

Skip to the 2 minute mark, cheers, Mysticpuma
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Re: Spitfire clipped prop at Duxford during takeoff, narrowly escaped disaster. Video

Is this a new kind of RAF lawnmower?
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Re: Spitfire clipped prop at Duxford during takeoff, narrowly escaped disaster. Video

Bummer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Shame shame shame xD

I do believe that is what you call show-boating. Thank goodness the bird is alright, and lucky for him she righted well without throwing anything through the cockpit at him
    The time it took those last two to get their tails up was insane, and displayed well by one of them some of the risks that go with such brake usage on takeoff

Good find Mystic

5. Likes Mysticpuma, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

....Gordon Bennet! A very close shave! (Literally!) So what did he do wrong?

Were the brakes still partially on? (Did he forget to hit 'B' for brakes before starting his roll? Ha ha!)

Surely he wouldn't apply brakes once rolling? Or was it just a nasty bump in the road? Lucky pilot........... but I bet he's got a red face now! Salute!

7. Likes gonk, ATAG_TCP, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    ....Gordon Bennet! A very close shave! (Literally!) So what did he do wrong?

Were the brakes still partially on? (Did he forget to hit 'B' for brakes before starting his roll? Ha ha!)

Surely he wouldn't apply brakes once rolling? Or was it just a nasty bump in the road? Lucky pilot........... but I bet he's got a red face now! Salute!
    Could also be he had his trim way off
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

9. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Someone who underestimated the impact of 1500+ hp being applied a little too vigorously.

Fortunate no loss of life... but likely the prop is toast and the engine will probably require a tear down.

11. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

I zoomed in and slowed it down a bit:

"The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    100.64 MB

Ok armchair quarterback time. Notice the elevator position it looks like it is slightly down not up when power is applied, About 19 yrs ago I worked at an airport in Kitchener (YKF) Ontario and on the field was a Sea Fury and during a run up the pilot added too much power and came within inches of cultivating the ramp with the prop because he had the stick forward not back. Not long afterward the same aircraft was lost along with the pilot at an airshow in Sarnia.

14. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

after playing around with DCS (this obviously qualifies my understanding 100% ) ohms is right in mentioning the elevator down trim . Plenty of pinched props forgetting the brakes were still on, but he is already well underway so I would guess at not having enough back stick whilst gunning it too quickly.

16. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

True, didn't catch the elevator movements before!
    Unless he simultaneously cut power, the effectiveness of the back pressure seems like it was probably just not having the stick in the right place (or trim)

Would you still be able to nose over with back pressure by adding in too much power on these things?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Someone just uploaded a still image of the incident.

FB_IMG_1569480142874.jpg

19. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

That is a fantastic shot of it. Actually makes one far more nervous looking at that than watching the film

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    100.64 MB

Well luck was on his/her side. Just a prop replacement and the engine pulled and torn down just to see if any damage internally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Ok everyone admit how many times they have done this during takeoff or landing in the game... I have done this at least 3 times.

23. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    34.48 MB

I can go one better than doing in the game. I clipped my prop in real life! I used to own a 1946 ERCOUPE. To save some money, I opted for one of the parking spots in the grass. Well, I'm taxiiing out one morning, my nose found a slight depression on the ground and "clang!" Unpleasant sound. I had to have the prop taken off and looked at. No major damage...but I went to the office and took a a spot on the ramp!

25. Likes ATAG_TCP, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Dang Pooch,
    That would be enough to make anyone want to ramp it up, even if it does mean cutting some savings!
    What was the cost of the park on the ramp vs where you were?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    34.48 MB

Yeah, it scared me enough to stop being cheap! I can't remember, but I'm thinking about 75 in the grass as oppsed to 125 on the concrete. Been awhile, though. The incident itself, however, is vividly etched in my mind!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

In the slow motion it doesn't look like he has his stick back at first. If not that could blow his tail up in my opinion because a Spitfire is much lighter in the tail than a 109 or the center of gravity is further ahead I mean. Maybe he's a 109 pilot..
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Oct-22-2019 at 22:46.