Thread: Crashing to desktop has started. Mysterious message box

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Crashing to desktop has started. Mysterious message box

Crashing to desktop has started for me during the sim - most annoying. There appears to be a message box being flashed up on screen which is causing it to crash sometimes. It flashes on and off much too quick to read. How might I go about identifying this message box and the program that is flashing it up. Hope someone can help!!!! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Re: Crashing to desktop has started. Mysterious message box

Quote Originally Posted by SIGNALNORTH View Post
    Crashing to desktop has started for me during the sim - most annoying. There appears to be a message box being flashed up on screen which is causing it to crash sometimes. It flashes on and off much too quick to read. How might I go about identifying this message box and the program that is flashing it up. Hope someone can help!!!! Thanks!
    Sounds like you have notifications on somewhere outside your game.

Windows update, or possibly a driver update.

Solution: update all or turn off notifier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Please post your system specifications as well as a logfile of the crash.

See pinned posts here for common crash causes:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum...al-assistance/

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.91 MB

Follow Buzzsaw's guidance above, but you should be able to ALT+TAB to view the underlying messagebox if you need to.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Drock Buzzsaw and Slipstream thank you for replying and trying to help, can I ask where do I find my system spec and also where do I find logfile? (and what do I use to open it with?) Thanks! Sorry for such basis questions. Thanks for your patience.

6. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Drock Buzzsaw and Slipstream thank you for replying and trying to help, can I ask where do I find my system spec and also where do I find logfile? (and what do I use to open it with?) Thanks! Sorry for such basis questions. Thanks for your patience.
    The system specifications you can get by right-clicking on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop, and selecting properties. This should indicate you the Processor, installed memory, and system type.

For the graphic card, you should be able to get this from the graphics card driver.

For the logfile, you can get it from the "My computer" icon on your desktop as well. Right click it, and select Manage, then go to Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application. This will list all errors/warnings logged by windows with a time stamp. You should select the one that has the same time as when the crash happened. If you do that just after the crash it should be the top one.

This is one way... Another way is to type "event viewer" in the windows search box

Whatever you do it is good practice to create a "restore point" before you change anything. Type "restore point" in the windows search box and follow instructions.

Good luck
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Oct-03-2019 at 05:56.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

8. Likes DRock, ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the replies again. Well I simply switched off notifications and so far it has been great! Fingers crossed.Thanks! If the trouble re-emerges I will follow all your further instructions. Great help, thanks again

10. Likes ATAG_Noofy, DRock liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Seemingly NOT cured after all! DOH!

ok so system is:-

AMD A10 7800 Radeon R7 12 computer cores 4c+8G 3.50 gl

ram 12.gb

64 bit

windows 8.1

event viewer windows log application showed this:-

Outlook loaded the following add-in(s): Name: Microsoft Exchange Add-in Description: Exchange support for Unified Messaging, e-mail permission rules, and calendar availability. ProgID: UmOutlookAddin.FormRegionAddin GUID: {F959DBBB-3867-41F2-8E5F-3B8BEFAA81B3} Load Behavior: 3 HKLM: 1 Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\ADDINS\UmOutlookAddin.dll Boot Time (Milliseconds): 16 Name: Outlook Social Connector 2016 Description: Connects to social networking sites and provides people, activity, and status information. ProgID: OscAddin.Connect GUID: {2163EB1F-3FD9-4212-A41F-81D1F933597F} Load Behavior: 3 HKLM: 1 Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\SOCIALCONNECTOR.DLL Boot Time (Milliseconds): 16 Name: OneNote Notes about Outlook Items Description: Adds Send to OneNote and Notes about this Item buttons to the command bar ProgID: OneNote.OutlookAddin GUID: {93E5752E-B889-47C5-8545-654EE2533C64} Load Behavior: 3 HKLM: 1 Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\ONBttnOL.dll Boot Time (Milliseconds): 15 Name: iCloud Outlook Add-in Description: iCloud Outlook Addin ProgID: Apple.DAV.Addin GUID: {D9BB00EA-0FB5-4032-AD67-65C6E0CDEDC0} Load Behavior: 3 HKLM: 1 Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\APLZOD32.dll Boot Time (Milliseconds): 250

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Your first post mentions a message box.

I still think the issue is a notifier on your desktop.

Make sure all of your drivers are up to date.

When did this problem start? Did you make any changes recently?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Seemingly NOT cured after all! DOH!

ok so system is:-

AMD A10 7800 Radeon R7 12 computer cores 4c+8G 3.50 gl

ram 12.gb

64 bit

windows 8.1

event viewer windows log application showed this:-

Outlook loaded the following add-in(s): Name: Microsoft Exchange Add-in Description: Exchange support for Unified Messaging, e-mail permission rules, and calendar availability. ProgID: UmOutlookAddin.FormRegionAddin GUID: {F959DBBB-3867-41F2-8E5F-3B8BEFAA81B3} Load Behavior: 3 HKLM: 1 Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\ADDINS\UmOutlookAddin.dll Boot Time (Milliseconds): 16 Name: Outlook Social Connector 2016 Description: Connects to social networking sites and provides people, activity, and status information. ProgID: OscAddin.Connect GUID: {2163EB1F-3FD9-4212-A41F-81D1F933597F} Load Behavior: 3 HKLM: 1 Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\SOCIALCONNECTOR.DLL Boot Time (Milliseconds): 16 Name: OneNote Notes about Outlook Items Description: Adds Send to OneNote and Notes about this Item buttons to the command bar ProgID: OneNote.OutlookAddin GUID: {93E5752E-B889-47C5-8545-654EE2533C64} Load Behavior: 3 HKLM: 1 Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\ONBttnOL.dll Boot Time (Milliseconds): 15 Name: iCloud Outlook Add-in Description: iCloud Outlook Addin ProgID: Apple.DAV.Addin GUID: {D9BB00EA-0FB5-4032-AD67-65C6E0CDEDC0} Load Behavior: 3 HKLM: 1 Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\APLZOD32.dll Boot Time (Milliseconds): 250
    Have you cleared your cache since the last update?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the reply - no not not made any recent changes. How do I find and rid myself of notifiers please? And how do I clear a cache?
    Thanks

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Ok I've emptied cache and checked drivers (up to date)

16. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

If you have an Nvidia card, us the GeForce experience to record what you see, then play it back and pause at the moment the box flashes?
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Got this prob back again! By the way it is minimizing rather than crashing the game, I go that wrong on my initial post. I have gone into my event log and it seems to be a OUTLOOK event ID 45 which is something to do with a Microsoft exchange add in whatever that is?

I actually captured the message box by recording and it slowing it down with a slow mo app. It actually is empty has no header or text in it.

Damned annoying this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

try this check your video settings if it is on full screen in the game switch it to Pseudo change nothing else might do the trick for you<S> Fatal
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Do u use Outlook for email ? It's possibly notifying u of incoming emails or something. Be worth exploring options to turn notifications off in Outlook.
    Have u thought of upgrading your Win8 to Win10 ?...would be a more stable operating system.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

21. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks but in't be incoming emails as it's every few seconds . Want to pull my hair out with this!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

You probably have a program which is linked to Windows running which is notifying you of events, etc.

Your system is set up to drop you to desktop when the notification happens.

Do you have a notifier for Instagram, Twitter, or any other messaging service which gets events regularly?> Are you following any person or a number of persons on twitter or any other service?

This is not the game.

Other possibility is you have something wrong with your video card or memory, and when you get up on the game and it puts demands on your card/memory Windows is notifying you there is an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    If you have an Nvidia card, us the GeForce experience to record what you see, then play it back and pause at the moment the box flashes?
    Try this to idenatify the message.
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Have a read thru some of the fixes in this 2014 Steam forum thread https://steamcommunity.com/app/23643...4260147963856/

I still recommend an upgrade to Win10.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Try this to idenatify the message.
    Could you tell me what GeForce experience is please and where I find it? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Google (or your favorite search engine) "GeForce Experience". You need to make an effort to find it.
    Last edited by Baffin; Apr-05-2020 at 08:17.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.