Thread: Thinking About Getting Into DCS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Thinking About Getting Into DCS

Hi guys,
    Here from Cliffs, but thinking about maybe getting into DCS, perhaps learning how to handle an F18 etc properly.
    However, with going up to 2.5 recently this of course means some dollars put into a system upgrade and a couple of odds and ends.
    But first things first is a GPU, was wondering what opinions are floating around with these things in regards to DCS?
    What kind of a job does the GTX760 do for example?

Honestly would like to stay under $200 which is a bit of an ask really, but even so.

Cheers

2. Likes Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Thinking About Getting Into DCS

I think you can still download the DCS software for free and you get 2 free aircraft - T51 (P51 trainer) and Su25. You could try it and see how your system works with it. Getting the additional aircraft, maps, etc is what gets a little pricey.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

4. Likes ATAG_TCP, Rostic, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_TCP View Post
    What kind of a job does the GTX760 do for example?
    DCS latest modules and maps without a high end processor, at least 16 GB (ideal 32) of RAM ram and VGA of new generation will will give more displeasure than satisfaction.

6. Likes ATAG_TCP, Rostic, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Roger that,
    I have managed to get older versions of DCS to run alright on my current system. But stock 2.5 is a no go at the moment.
    It does seem to handle things pretty well, but it is only 8GB of RAM, the processor is an i5, but the exact details I will have to check.

If I did manage to get into it I would be specifically interested in the F18. Especially as modules are pricey it would be good to get involved with one aircraft in particular, and it is also the main fighter of our airforce currently.

If I could get away with a new GPU I would concider it, but will have to mull it over.
    Technically still need rudder peddals so will have to start a shopping list

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    I think you can still download the DCS software for free and you get 2 free aircraft - T51 (P51 trainer) and Su25. You could try it and see how your system works with it. Getting the additional aircraft, maps, etc is what gets a little pricey.
    The heviest stress test for your system will be in Multiplayer. Just connect to any filled with players server and watch how DCS workrs for you. (LCrtl+PrntScr shows fps, and second press ot htis keys show more detail of used resources).
    As Snapper said, DCSworld 2.5 it is free, so all you need - is time to download and install it.
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

9. Likes ATAG_TCP, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Thanks for the advice chaps, I do need a card upgrade (litterally fron integrated HD530) so will probably look into that anyway. GTX 760 or somewhere between that and the GTX10 series I might look at
    I do know that she can't quite run with the current GPU which is the main weak point.

11. Likes Rostic, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_TCP View Post
    Thanks for the advice chaps, I do need a card upgrade (litterally fron integrated HD530) so will probably look into that anyway. GTX 760 or somewhere between that and the GTX10 series I might look at
    I do know that she can't quite run with the current GPU which is the main weak point.
    I recomend at least GTX1060 6Gb.
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

13. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Okay, cheers Rostic will look into it

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Be careful, DCS is like being a kid in a sweet shop. You can have a little bit of everything.

Definitely worth doing though!

16. Likes ATAG_TCP, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

1060 6GB is, as rostic says, the absolute minimum unless you want it look like minecraft. Less than 6GB of Vram is going to give you angst as is less than 16GB RAM.

Running at just 1080P with an I5 @ 4.5 and a 1080 still hovers me on the verge of good/gash in some scenes. I darent try MP with only 16GB of RAM but im cool with that as Im bored of MP nobbery anyhow.

Ive also found, despite what the common wisdom says, that toning down your Ansiotopic filtering to 8 or (in my case) even 4 help to reduce stutter in heavy forested areas.

SSD is also a must. Without one it will be a subject to immersion breaking stutters every few seconds as the preload of scenery kicks geological HDDs to death.

DCS isnt cheap even when it starts free. The SU25T, whilst non full fidelity and lacking a cliky pit, does give you an idea of stuff you will have to learn. Very underated module.

Finally, Hornets are for girls. You wont need to worry about handling it properly. The Molly Coddling Fly by wire nursemaid will make you feel like an ace all day long (well when you aint clicking on buttons) whilst the computers make blowing up stuff a doddle. Get a viggen. Or a Mig21 or even the Tomcat. OK im only being semi serious but Fly By Wire takes away, at least for me, a lot of the fun in getting those older types to work properly and not fall out of the sky. The Vig and the Mig come with the added factor that you can pretend to be Scandinavian which is always a bonus in my book and although roles and weapons are limited, what they have (especially the viggen) is quite unique and quite devastating (but never as cool as doing a 3 point turn).

good luck
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

18. Likes 1lokos, ATAG_TCP, Silent135, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

I think Cliffs of Dover is the best but I'm stressing so much waiting for Tobruk maybe I should try something else while I wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

I think Cliffs of Dover is the best but I'm stressing so much waiting for Tobruk maybe I should try something else while I wait. This looks pretty darn awesome but to do it I think you have to fork out about $150 first

21. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    62.82 MB

I have DCS F18... problems are it is far from being complete. And that is after 2 years of so called early access. It has so many missing features, I have shelved it for now.

So if you want a modern aircraft, something cheap, and not too taxing on the PC, I recommend Falcon 4 BMS 4.34. It only requires a copy of falcon 4 , which is a few bucks on steam. Granted it does not look as nice a DCS, but for a 20+ year old game it still beats DCS on features and playablity hands down. It is the only Flight Sim I like to play in Single Player Campaign mode.. Sorry CLOD.. , because it runs like a RTS.

Enjoy .

23. Likes ATAG_TCP, VO101_Tom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I only use DCS for helicopters.

Bought the spitfire module... but it still has irritating issues. Open the canopy.... glass is still there.... has a weird wobbely blurr behind the prop. Sort of looks like localised screen tearing..... Just feels like nobody is working on it.

For helicopter training its great. And the VR is superb.

Definitley read up before you start to buy planes though.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

25. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    103.86 MB

Been flying DCS for a few years now, and really like it, as for the Spit the cockpit glass was sorted months ago, as for flying its certainly a handful on the ground, and you must adjust trim for take off, as for the blurr behind the prop I have never noticed it, Also got the Harrier which is great fun to fly and also the Hornet, which is a great module only thing I can think off which has been a pain in the ass is waiting for Track While Scan mode to be implemented for the A/A stuff, (which is coming soon along with the F16 TWS) as for ground pounding its also great with Targeting pod and more choice of ground armaments than you could wish for. Mission builder is a doddle to use and very versatile also loads of campaigns to download for various aircrafts. Servers are also well populated with the WW2 Sever "Burning Skys " regularly having 20-30 players, Also lots of Missions in game for practicing most of the armaments + A A refuelling missions

I'm running 24 GB of Ram and GTX 790, so I need to turn down some of the settings especially the Persian gulf map, and also had to buy another SSD for DCS current size is at 122GB

If anyone wants a blast on it, gimme a shout and I can host a server

Red
    Target 4 'o' clock low

27. Likes ATAG_TCP, ATAG_Highseas, BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    974.2 KB

DCS has become our go to sim for flying night for a couple of years now. There are just so many options for whatever your flavour is. The coming addition of the Mosquito will certainly scratch the itch for people who like Blenheims in CloD.

Just had a flight in the Spit after tonight's update and the audio is much improved. Real feels much more like a big growly merlin up there.

Our guys and the |450| guys are now doing co-op ops with modern stuff (F-14s and F-18s etc) as well as Korea stuff with F-86s (a good place to go if you're not sure about modern jets but want to upgrade out of WWII) and we've got some stuff in the works for WWII Spits, Mustangs, and the upcoming Jug.

If you are at all a keen PC pilot, I think you should at least try flying the free TF-51 and see how you like it. It's definitely a lot more to handle than CloD stuff if that's what you're used to. Some people really like that aspect, some would rather just jump in and fly. It's quite rewarding to learn how to fly DCS with proficiency though.

29. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Thanks for the advice chaps!

The only reason I was angling at the F18 is because it is our Air Force's main multirole of choice, and as such the complexity of DCS would go hand in hand with that.
    I have racked up around fifty hours on DCS pre-1.5 (for some reason can't get it to open on my PC anymore).

However, I will definitely think about it for a while, as by the sounds of it the hardware upgrade needed for 2.5 will cost me a pretty penny in and of itself :/
    At the same time, Red, you said you got her to run fine with a good amount of RAM and a GTX790? Maybe that would be the cheaper way to go.
    I am not for perfect performance, I am NO stranger to lower performance flying, along with battling for balance between graphics and performance itself. I can say that I have never had CloD on full graphics before, and even now with my itty bitty integrated card, I cannot fly night missions as everything turns red and fuzzy

Definitely will keep DCS on the backburner though, who knows, maybe a couple of extra GBs of RAM and a graphics card later and I might just be starting to break the sound barrier
    This PC has some alright components, but some equally (or unequally) not alright components. Will see.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

(And yes Boo, I LOVE the JA37s, I am not a delta wing fan, but those craft are magnificent!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Well I just took the leap and I have to say DCS WWII has me hooked. Just one thing I hope hope hope they keep developing the WWII arena with more aircraft. I bought Normandy The Channel Bf109 K-4 Fw-190 A-8 both campaigns for those fighters.

What I have now
    Asus P6TD Deluxe
    MSI Geforce1060 TI 6 gig
    24 gigs ddr3 ram
    i7 975

Almost 11 year old system is still great for Cliffs of Dover/Desert Wings Tobruk and IL-2 BOS but I can tell when I get into a bomber stream there's going to be problems in DCS so I'm getting a whole new deal based around an i5 and asus strix. Should be awesome but holy smokes are Video Cards ever expensive these days It should be done in Feb. Also I can't believe how good the old one was...
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Oct-18-2021 at 15:28.