Thread: High monitor refresh rate problem in multipalyer

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

High monitor refresh rate problem in multipalyer

Some time ago I ran into issues with high monitor refresh rates. Was using a 1080ti and anything above 100hz refresh rate on multi player servers resulted in very very long log in times and upon spawning in, an exploded plane.

Only in multiplayer mind. Single player was fine.

I know ATAGs Knight and Vampire also experienced this.

Then I got a 2080ti (business had performed well and suddenly the home office needed one ) and 144hz was no issue at all in the servers. Huzzar! Right up until the last patch update… and now its back as it was before. anything above 100hz causes the same problems.

Now…. 100hz isn’t exactly a problem by any stretch! But if you have a machine capable or far beyond this and the option for 144hz is available in game then naturally you would choose to use it.

My concern here is that if I was a new player who didn’t already have experience that the game (for whatever reason) doesn’t work properly above 100hz on multiplayer servers I’d assume the game didn’t work at all and most likely just walk away and do something else.

Last night was the first time I fired up Cliffs in a while. It ended up being a couple of hours of frustration I could have done without and then (to put it in the server speak) “ATAG_Highseas rage quit”.

Maybe there should be a big sign slapped on the in game menu that says “do not go above 100hz refresh rate in multiplayer”.

Anyone else had the same ?

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.99 MB

Re: High monitor refresh rate problem in multipalyer

Not to nit-pick here chap, but I think a new player would leave the graphics set to 'default' and charge right in. Upon changing the 'default' graphics and then experiencing problems - a new player would generally revert to 'default' - then ask questions somewhere - like here?

Now if the game sets that setting as 'default' then yes, there is a problem that should be looked into, urgently. If the default setting results in a fiery death upon spawn - thats far away from good.

If you could clarify if the game automatically assigned that setting or not - that would help the lads look into what needs to be changed and how urgently.

Just trying to help, not trying to p$$$ on your preferences old bean <3

Zx Spectrum, 48k. Mono tape player. Loose 3.5mm Jacks that need a wiggle once and a while.

3. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Did you check if your monitor refresh rate is set to the same value both in Windows own display settings and in the ingame video settings?
    I myself have not had any problems in MP since going from a 60Hz to 144Hz monitor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Mackers View Post
    Not to nit-pick here chap, but I think a new player would leave the graphics set to 'default' and charge right in. Upon changing the 'default' graphics and then experiencing problems - a new player would generally revert to 'default' - then ask questions somewhere - like here?

Now if the game sets that setting as 'default' then yes, there is a problem that should be looked into, urgently. If the default setting results in a fiery death upon spawn - thats far away from good.

If you could clarify if the game automatically assigned that setting or not - that would help the lads look into what needs to be changed and how urgently.

Just trying to help, not trying to p$$$ on your preferences old bean <3

No. Its not set like that as default. At least i don't think so... i have no idea actually....

Its not a massive drama.as i can set it to 100hz and its fine.
    Its just odd to have the option when its problematic.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JG4_Karaya View Post
    Did you check if your monitor refresh rate is set to the same value both in Windows own display settings and in the ingame video settings?
    I myself have not had any problems in MP since going from a 60Hz to 144Hz monitor.
    Think so.... I will check later.

EDIT:

Yep ! Windows at 144hz
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Nov-12-2019 at 14:29.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Have seen this happen to a squadron member of us.
    Very long times to connect to a server, even to not connecting in the end ...

And I have seen it myself too (144hz G-Sync, 1920x1080, GTX1080ti), but at the moment it's not a problem for me.
    (Running Pseudo now, but for the life of me, cannot remember why that is...)

It is weird though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DD_FT View Post
    Have seen this happen to a squadron member of us.
    Very long times to connect to a server, even to not connecting in the end ...

And I have seen it myself too (144hz G-Sync, 1920x1080, GTX1080ti), but at the moment it's not a problem for me.
    (Running Pseudo now, but for the life of me, cannot remember why that is...)

It is weird though...
    That it is !!

I ran Pseudo on my 1080ti because it suddenly wouldnt work with anything else... I forget when that started... its was during on oif the early beta tests of 4.5

I don't think Cliffs gets on with the 1080ti very well... 980ti before that had no issues at all.

the 2080ti has been fine in full screen... and was ok at 144hz right up until the last patch

100 is fine obviously... but yeah... it's an odd one for sure.
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Nov-12-2019 at 14:33.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.99 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    No. Its not set like that as default. At least i don't think so... i have no idea actually....

Its not a massive drama.as i can set it to 100hz and its fine.
    Its just odd to have the option when its problematic.

I think the game pulls that information from Windows/Driver/Software/etc - it's a "dumb-pull" it doesn't work out what will work or not - just pulls from the same list as shown in desktop display options or similar. Atleast, that is where having options that don't/might not/should not work comes from.
    Zx Spectrum, 48k. Mono tape player. Loose 3.5mm Jacks that need a wiggle once and a while.

10. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I think the game pulls that information from Windows/Driver/Software/etc - it's a "dumb-pull" it doesn't work out what will work or not - just pulls from the same list as shown in desktop display options or similar. Atleast, that is where having options that don't/might not/should not work comes from.
    Ha... just clocked your system specs in your sig....

Gotta ask...

Is the tape player running as standard or do you run it at an overclock by releasing the play button and then holding it about half way engaged?

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

12. Likes TWC_Mackers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.99 MB

Yes, 'Chipmunk Sounds' or 'Alvin Setting' make everything run faster

This is limited to 5 minutes however, because at somepoint the stretch slows everything down to less than a record players 33rpm setting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Yes, 'Chipmunk Sounds' or 'Alvin Setting' make everything run faster

This is limited to 5 minutes however, because at somepoint the stretch slows everything down to less than a record players 33rpm setting.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals