Thread: Solution to: Problem connecting to multiplayer servers after windows 10 update

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Solution to: Problem connecting to multiplayer servers after windows 10 update

Hi All,
    Since recently updated to windows 10 rel 1909 I can't connect to any multiplayer server. I see the servers in the server list but when I try to connect I never see any progress and eventually have to use the Break button to get back.
    I have tried clearing the DNS cache and the \Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\cache as per other posts but it makes no difference.

I have also tried disabling my firewall and still no joy.

When I run wireshark on traffic from my PC I see no outbound packets to the server when I try to initiate the connection.

Anyone seen this before and have any other suggestions on what to try?

Thanks for any assistance!

SOLUTION:

It looks like the issue was with my broadband router which had 2 different IP addresses/DNS entries in its cache for my PC. I suspect the server connection was being returned to the wrong IP. The fix was to delete the incorrect IP/DNS entry from the router.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Nov-15-2019 at 18:50.

2. Likes Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: Problem connecting to multiplayer servers after windows 10 rel 1909 update

I am also on Win10 release 1909 and do not have this problem...
    Can you ping the server? (IP 216.52.148.29)
    Could be a Steam issue...
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Thanks for the suggestions Noofy,

I can ping the server 216.52.148.29 using the IP address or by using the resolved DNS Name (d-216-52-148-29.ded-machine.premium-chicago.nfoservers.com) so it doesn't look like a network or DNS issue.

I have also tried using Putty to spoof a connection to the server on port 27016 and I see a response from the server so the comms path is open, it just seems that my CLOD client never sends anything to the server when I try to connect.

I may try to uninstall/re-install to see if that makes any difference, but after that I'm not sure what to try.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 MB

Hi Loose_Canon

Definitly check that you don't have more than one network adapter.
    I remember that i used to have wifi and ethernet adapters active, only having one or the other worked well for me.

Cheers

6. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger, ATAG_Soldat liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi Sammz,

Thanks for the suggestion … I do have a load of other interfaces as I run VMWARE on my PC, but have disabled all but the main network interface and still had the problem.

It looks like the issue is related to DNS on my home router. If configure my LAN adaptor to use an internet based DNS server instead of using my broadband router as DNS everything works fine.

So for the moment I have a work around while I figure out why my home router is misbehaving.

Thanks for all the feedback... I'll update the thread when I've got to the bottom of the root cause.

Cheers!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Re: Problem connecting to multiplayer servers after windows 10 rel 1909 update- Fixed

It looks like the issue was with my broadband router which had 2 different IP addresses/DNS entries in its cache for my PC. I suspect the server connection was being returned to the wrong IP. The fix was to delete the incorrect IP/DNS entry from the router.

All working OK again now.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I guess this thread can be closed now , but not sure how that's done.

Cheers all !

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Solution to: Problem connecting to multiplayer servers after windows 10 update

Thread closed per your request.

Thanks so much for sharing the steps you took to find the solution, LC. This could very well help the next guy experiencing connection problems with the server.

Cheers!

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

10. Likes Tibsun, Stormrider liked this post